Flow Chart generally

TrippyHippy

Emperor Mongoose
A few criticisms are collecting about the convoluted nature of the flow chart. I'm ambivalent currently, although I may decide after I've used it a few times.

For me, though, I think much of the problem stems from the source - the old step-by-step plan felt too long and stipulated. I'd prefer a chargen outlined in box bubbles by 6 key stages - Characteristics, Homeworld & Background, Education, Basic Career Training, Career Progression, Mustering out - with each section given clear bullet points of how to progress at that stage. So:

Stage 1: Generate Characteristics.
- Roll 2D6 and total for each Characteristic in order: Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, Social Standing. Check DM modifiers for each.
- Alternatively assign scores in any order: 10, 9, 7, 7, 6, 4, or distribute 42 points between each with a range of 2-12.

Stage 2: Homeworld & Background
- Nominate a Homeworld (see page XX) and choose (3 + EDU DM) Background skills (at Level 0) appropriate to it from the following list. [show list]
- Alternatively, create a homeworld using World Generation (page XX) or simply select skills independently.
- Begin as an 18 year old.

Stage 3: Education
- Choose whether to send character to University, Military School or not. Roll for Entry (See page XX).
- If successful, roll for Skills, Events and Graduation over a 4 year period.
- Progress to Basic Career Training.

Stage 4: Career Basic Training
- Choose Career and roll for Qualification (See page XX).
- If unsuccessful, apply for Draft (See page XX) or Drifter Career (See page XX).
- If successful, choose an Assignment and collect Basic Training skills (at Level 0).
- Continue with Career Progression.

Step 5: Career Progression
- Roll for one Skill on one of the tables provided. Increase that skill by one rank.
- Roll for Survival. If successful roll for Event. If unsuccessful roll for Mishap and leave Career.
- Roll for Advancement. If successful, progress in Ranks and skills.

- Alternatively, Roll for Commission (SOC 8+) for Army, Navy or Marine Careers only if in first Term, or after first Term if SOC is 9+.

- Continue with a next Term in current Career, or choose to try and qualify for a new Career instead.
- Each Term spent marks off 4 years. Roll for Aging (See page XX) in each Term after 34 years.
- Repeat rolls for Skill, Survival, Events/Mishaps and Advancement during each Term served.
- Continue progressing with Careers till you are forced to leave or choose to stop. Then Muster Out (See page XX).

Step 6: Mustering Out

- For each Career Term completed, roll for Benefits and Cash earned. Modify number of rolls by Advancement Rank.

Notably, I've split up Basic Training with Career Progression as this is the largest section, but the 'step bubbles' don't have to be the same size. They just have to be clear and easy to follow. I've also added some Edits now too!

Anyway....thoughts?

In a quick glance I noted you're missing that if your soc is a certain level you can keep trying for commission, but otherwise this is far better than the flowchart. About all I'd ass is all the page numbers to the related sections.

vladthemad said:
In a quick glance I noted you're missing that if your soc is a certain level you can keep trying for commission, but otherwise this is far better than the flowchart. About all I'd ass is all the page numbers to the related sections.
Hmm....I might go back in and edit as a living document so to speak. Page number references are a good idea, for sure.

I was actually wondering whether it might work better to note Commission as part of Basic Training in effect to avoid confusion with regular Advancement....lets see what people think!

Back