First Conan PDF Scenario is here!

Old Bear

Mongoose
Hi guys,

FYI the Black Stones of Kovag-Re, and introductory Conan adventure set in Zamora, is now available as a PDF download from the following site:

www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2679&

At just $8 it's a great way to get into Conan gaming!

The fact that the pdf looks like the core book and the SoS book is cool and all, but its a real bitch to print out. Talk about using ink!

$8.00 for the .pdf
$25.00 for ink cartridge 1
$25.00 for ink cartridge 2

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Oh well, I'm very happy with the module. Can't wait to see more, no wait... I mean, less... I mean... please no more .pdf's with the elaborate template style presentation.

Thank!
Wisp

I personally *love* PDFs with graphics in the style of the books... to print them, there's a trick: install FinePrint and uncheck the "print graphics" option... voila, pure text :wink:

emass said:
I personally *love* PDFs with graphics in the style of the books... to print them, there's a trick: install FinePrint and uncheck the "print graphics" option... voila, pure text :wink:

This is the tricky issue, of course. Price-wise there would be little difference in what we would charge with or without the fine art, but consistently research has shown that PDF customers see no reason to be treated any less seriously than hard copy purchasers.

In this day and age most people with a PC also own a printer, so it's a fair assumption that they won't be buying cartridges specifically for our PDFs!

For Mongoose consideration:

RPG Objects include "printer friendly" versions along with the "screen pretty" versions of their PDF publications. This may be a low cost/work method to keep your cartridge-concerned consumers happy.

It's all about the options, man!

I couldn't agree more...While I LOVE the PDF's...I have a wife who watches that magical thing called a budget and she veto's ink purchases for awhile after I print out multipage color pdf's like this...

heh

Arkobla Conn said:
I couldn't agree more...While I LOVE the PDF's...I have a wife who watches that magical thing called a budget and she veto's ink purchases for awhile after I print out multipage color pdf's like this...

heh
Alright Arkobla Conn, we get the idea. Nothing like a double-post to prove your point! :lol:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I printed it out in blackand white, with the whole elaborate design template. Looks great, just not in color, which is fine with me.

Xex said:
I printed it out in blackand white, with the whole elaborate design template. Looks great, just not in color, which is fine with me.

I really like the old design style of Dungeon Magazine back in the day when it was in black and white. Nice, clean, and simple. Guess I freaked when I saw how much ink those 16 pages consumed. I used my brand new printer/copier/scanner/fax I got last week. When you print it shows a little scale of how much ink you have. It's divided up into 8 sections for both black and color. Took 2 sections of color, and 1 section of black! geesh.

Considering the cartridges are over 25 bucks each, and the .pdf was 8 dollards... holy cow, thats a lot of cost for something I downloaded off the net! Wish I knew about the other options mentioned in this thread beforehand. LOL.

Congrats! I see Kovag-Re is up to #3 for Fantasy d20 bestsellers on RPGNOW.com. I wondered how well it would do. I guess now I know.

Xex said:

Exactly, works just fine, I don't know why most would bother with a color print-out, and I even can print it out in color at work no problem, but haven't bothered to (as opposed to the whiners in this thread, who have to *pay* for their ink ;) ).

Is it only available in PDF Format ? I would rather see it in stores with a cover etc...

BTW, I ran this adventure recently for my group, and it went well :)

****SPOILER ALERT****

Amazingly, my party divined it was a secret lover situation before any real clues came available?! Also, they disliked Oleksa right off, so they approached the bandit camp openly and discussed it with them before Oleksa showed. Also, one of the PCs was wounded in the tunnel fighting, then once in the chamber, was trying to find a secret exit out and as a result touched the stones (had a bit of blood present on him due to the ~10hp attack), and so they caused the stones' animation! But then that same PC lured a stone to follow him, and dashed aside at the last moment, smashing Oleksa and 2 of his guards! Quite entertaining overall, but lacked a little bit in combat opportunities and was a bit concerning how to cause there to be a melee in the room when the entrance was a 3-on-1 situation, but I just "drama'd" that.

Well, I must say tahtI have to aree with everyone here : it's really expensive, 8$ for a 13 hollow pdf scenario.

We played it tonight and I must say that I'm very disapointed to see this scenario after reading Conan OGL and Scrolls of Kellos.

I would admit it if it was some kind of free scenario, but that...

it's bugged (you have to be carefull with the NPC, especially HP), it's illogic (why would the NPC do that and let the players do what they should), quite ununderstable (still didn't get the end).

I'd almost say that it's quite stupid and if your players are used to think while they play, nothing will work.

An expensive really bad scenario.

I'm very disppointed, especially after all the good work that you did.

I will not buy another PDF scenario unless I read really good things about it (I think that if I read the last post before buying it, I would never have done such a thing...)

Well, I must say tahtI have to aree with everyone here : it's really expensive, 8$ for a 13 hollow pdf scenario.

We played it tonight and I must say that I'm very disapointed to see this scenario after reading Conan OGL and Scrolls of Kellos.

I would admit it if it was some kind of free scenario, but that...

it's bugged (you have to be carefull with the NPC, especially HP), it's illogic (why would the NPC do that and let the players do what they should), quite ununderstable (still didn't get the end).

I'd almost say that it's quite stupid and if your players are used to think while they play, nothing will work.

An expensive really bad scenario.

I'm very disppointed, especially after all the good work that you did.

I will not buy another PDF scenario unless I read really good things about it (I think that if I read the last post before buying it, I would never have done such a thing...) :evil:

Hopefully the next one will be better :)

Does anybody have a resource for Conan RPG "FULL-FORMATTED" scenarios on the web? I've not seen anything but the campaign starters and they're not formatted in DM-friendly style.

Where would one post a scenario if it were written?

jh

Yeah. If I ever run Conan, the guys I play with aren't gonna fall for that weak plot that easy. Also, the combat at the end is a little too scripted, especially with no map, etc.

I find that my best options for printing PDFs is to set the printer to "draft" setting - uses less ink and still perfectly usable (although an option without graphics would be better yet)

Back