Federation ship pin or not pin the engines

scuy

Mongoose
Anyone have issues with the federation ships with the engines falling off? I was wondering if I should go about and pin them in place or not. They seem a bit thin to put a pin in place.

If not pinned what is a good glue to use, I was thinking zap possible the gel one.

I use superglue gel mainly. Some ships like the CA/BCH/DN series, the pylons are too big to fit into the sockets. Sometimes I can file them down/enlarge the hole until they fit well. Mostly I can get the pylon to barely enter the hole and 1-minute (hold at least 5 minutes to ensure the engine doesn't droop and support it anyways with something) epoxy is what I use then.

After I get my Fed frigates and battle frigates done, I will tackle the cruisers with your advice.

Follow up questions what epoxy do you use if the gel doesn't hold as well? I haven't used epoxy for miniatures at all. How durable are the miniatures from what you have seen?

scuy said:
After I get my Fed frigates and battle frigates done, I will tackle the cruisers with your advice.

Follow up questions what epoxy do you use if the gel doesn't hold as well? I haven't used epoxy for miniatures at all. How durable are the miniatures from what you have seen?

I've been using Loctite 1-minute epoxy. Seems to work well. BUT it stinks, so after mixing it up and using it, dispose of the leftover/whatever you mixed on it outside in the trash. Otherwise, the whole house will smell of epoxy. :(

I used loctite Super glue Power Flex. It apparently has added rubber this gives it some gap filling capability and its much less brittle. Seems to do a pretty good job. Used it on the KRs as well.

Gorilla Glue brand epoxy & superglue apparently have an additive to make it more flexible...

I've only picked up one Feddie ship so far, the CL. The sockets were deep enough and the fit precise enough that I did not need to pin. My preferred epoxy is Devcon 5-minute (and yes, I sit there for 5 minutes holding parts together at times, though if you feel the risk is worth it, let them sit for 3 minutes and hold together for 2...). My next purchase (I already blew my small ACTA budget this paycheck, picking up some Noble Armada ships) is going the Feddie FFs at the end of the month, so maybe we'll see what happens here...

Damon.

Back