Fate Point Calculation For Higher Level PC Creation

Strom

Mongoose
Is there a rule for how many Fate Points a new character has when you are starting them out at a higher level? Understanding the number of Fate Points he would get at first level but one would assume by 5th or 6th level he might of used them up - or some of them - and he might have gained some. I was trying to think of a way to do it with dice involving the player in his characters fate - so to speak.

This could add some much needed background to a character just starting out but already mid-high level. I think the procedure should include the chance to have used up all of your fate points as well as the possibility of gaining at most one additional fate point.

Any ideas? Sorry if this has been brought up before - I looked and didn't see anything. :?
 

Padre

Mongoose
I would just give the players the default 1st level Fate Points. Making a high-level character is pain in the ass without worrying about the FPs. :)
 

GrimJesta

Mongoose
Werd, I'd say give them the regular amount a first level character has. Base points + 1 per level doesn't factor in those that would have been spent by the character getting to that level in such a brutal environment (The Hyborian Age isn't known for being nice :)), but giving them the regular amount a 1st level character gets takes into consideration the few gained and the few already spent.

-=Grim=-
 

arnon

Mongoose
I pulled the Fate Point mechanic into my Midnight campaign when my PCs where about 4th-5th level... I let them roll a d3, that takes into account them having had some FP's but already having spent some of them... Turned out almost all of them had 1 FP if I remember coorectly.

arnon
 

geordiekimbo

Mongoose
GrimJesta said:
Werd, I'd say give them the regular amount a first level character has. Base points + 1 per level doesn't factor in those that would have been spent by the character getting to that level in such a brutal environment (The Hyborian Age isn't known for being nice :)), but giving them the regular amount a 1st level character gets takes into consideration the few gained and the few already spent.

-=Grim=-

I think it does, most PCs gain a couple an adventure, unless youre GM forgets or is a stingy so and so. Most players in our games go up a level every 3-5 adventures, so they arent keeping that many.

Horse for course really, depends on the amount you gm normally gives out. In most circumstances I just make it up personally
 

Strom

Mongoose
geordiekimbo said:
I think it does, most PCs gain a couple an adventure, unless youre GM forgets or is a stingy so and so. Most players in our games go up a level every 3-5 adventures, so they arent keeping that many.

Horse for course really, depends on the amount you gm normally gives out. In most circumstances I just make it up personally

Coulpe an adventure seems like a lot to me. Those things are rare in my game.

I like the ideas presented and could go with a four sided and if they roll a one then they would get no fate points. Adds some realism to the character. I see getting to fifth level as a hard thing to do - I mean you will have had some serious battles in a world where each fight could be your last. As you can tell, I haven't played a game with high level characters yet, the highest being fifth level. I usually make each character start at first level but I'm making an exception this time and starting everyone at fifth.
 

argo

Mongoose
I rarely start my players at first level but I usually give them the normal starting FP. 3 FP is good to start a campaign on, don't stress how many they gained or spent to get there in the first place.

The other option I would suggest is to just have them roll a d4. That way they have a 50% chance of having lost some FP to survive this long, a 25% chance they broke even and a 25% chance they have led a charmed life up to this point.

I would strongly advise against starting your players with 0 FP unless you are trying to set a tone of desperation for your campaing in which case you should probably start all your players with 0 FP (and chained to the oars of a slave galley).

Hope that helps.
 

GrimJesta

Mongoose
geordiekimbo said:
I think it does, most PCs gain a couple an adventure, unless youre GM forgets or is a stingy so and so.

Which makes sense on its own, but it doesn't account for Fate Point spent. You get 1 FP if you do something big and heroic, which things of that caliber are usually at the end of an adventure. An adventure usually lasts more than 1 session, and PCs tend to spend a FP every other session usually- either to stay alive, alter the plot, or kick something's ass really hard. So that one or two they get at the end of an adventure usually replaces the ones spent over the last few sessions.

-=Grim=-
 

Strom

Mongoose
argo said:
I rarely start my players at first level but I usually give them the normal starting FP. 3 FP is good to start a campaign on, don't stress how many they gained or spent to get there in the first place.

The other option I would suggest is to just have them roll a d4. That way they have a 50% chance of having lost some FP to survive this long, a 25% chance they broke even and a 25% chance they have led a charmed life up to this point.

I would strongly advise against starting your players with 0 FP unless you are trying to set a tone of desperation for your campaign in which case you should probably start all your players with 0 FP (and chained to the oars of a slave galley).

Hope that helps.

The D4 sounds like an idea worth trying. I like the idea of having the player have a say in their characters FPs. And I can understand what you are saying about not having any characters have zero FPs (and I would never have a 1st level character have no FPs) but if you are fifth level or higher, the reality is you could've used all your Fate Points to get to that level and if they are rolling for FPs then that chance should be present.

One could look at it as a limitation or like a empty waterskin in the desert - I need a fate point bad and I'm going to do something worthy to get it, asap. Plus, it could really add to the characters background which could make this fifth level (but new) character easier to roleplay. That said, I would hope the player would roll good, but if not then he better get working on making his name in Hyboria. 8)

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll see how it goes.
 

Thoth Aw C'mon

Mongoose
Strom said:
argo said:
I rarely start my players at first level but I usually give them the normal starting FP. 3 FP is good to start a campaign on, don't stress how many they gained or spent to get there in the first place.

The other option I would suggest is to just have them roll a d4. That way they have a 50% chance of having lost some FP to survive this long, a 25% chance they broke even and a 25% chance they have led a charmed life up to this point.

I would strongly advise against starting your players with 0 FP unless you are trying to set a tone of desperation for your campaign in which case you should probably start all your players with 0 FP (and chained to the oars of a slave galley).

Hope that helps.

The D4 sounds like an idea worth trying. I like the idea of having the player have a say in their characters FPs. And I can understand what you are saying about not having any characters have zero FPs (and I would never have a 1st level character have no FPs) but if you are fifth level or higher, the reality is you could've used all your Fate Points to get to that level and if they are rolling for FPs then that chance should be present.

One could look at it as a limitation or like a empty waterskin in the desert - I need a fate point bad and I'm going to do something worthy to get it, asap. Plus, it could really add to the characters background which could make this fifth level (but new) character easier to roleplay. That said, I would hope the player would roll good, but if not then he better get working on making his name in Hyboria. 8)

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll see how it goes.

Hey Strom, just to throw in my 2 cents, I think d3-1 fate points for a newly minted, shiny 5th level character is the one to go with. Let the player roll and let the die decide. That seems to be a reasonable range of fate points for a 5th level character to have, IMHO. 8)
 

slaughterj

Mongoose
Padre said:
I would just give the players the default 1st level Fate Points. Making a high-level character is pain in the ass without worrying about the FPs. :)

GrimJesta said:
Werd, I'd say give them the regular amount a first level character has. Base points + 1 per level doesn't factor in those that would have been spent by the character getting to that level in such a brutal environment (The Hyborian Age isn't known for being nice :)), but giving them the regular amount a 1st level character gets takes into consideration the few gained and the few already spent.

-=Grim=-

I agree, the ones gained likely countered the ones spent, give or take, so just give the starting level ones to the higher level PCs. If you give them more, they may be too foolhardy, and I don't see any reason to give them fewer.
 

Strom

Mongoose
MadDog said:
Give the characters fate points dependant on thier background stories.

Mad Dog

That's what I was thinking, even using the fate point roll to help flesh out the background. If the poor guy has no fate points he may have a higher reputation due to his heroic deeds. More contacts, perhaps more money. etc. I'm not trying to penalize the player but to assume that all characters at that level are at the same fate point level is unrealistic.
 
Top