Fantasy Grounds Content Question

JeffMindlin

Mongoose
Hi, during lockdown I’ve been playing on Roll 20 uploading my own stuff and making maps etc. Then I found out there is trav official stuff on fantasy Grounds. It’s pricy so can any tell me please:
The adventure material - is this just a straight reproduction of the printed material or is it enhanced with area maps etc? Actual practical aids for online play?
Does the rule book come with deck plans/world template and tokens for water/mountains etc? Maps that are usable in game with tokens etc?
On my Roll20 game I have uploaded all sorts of sector and smaller maps, battle mats with terrain etc are these available to download and if not can you do it yourself?
Thanks

Hi,

If you're talking about Fantasy Grounds, when you build an official adventure, ie the Central Supply Catalogue then people cannot download it themselves, it's downloaded only if the GM allows and then it's encrypted and removed after playing.

The same goes for any official module, ie Reach 5 Adventure, all the maps/data (system/items/npc's) are all encrypted.

I don't play on Roll20 that much so I don't know if people can download what you've added, normally in the marketplace if you sell something from there if people stop using Roll20 they lose those things.

Btw why do you think the Official stuff is pricey? You might not know that Central Supply Catalogue took many months to create, due to the amount of new items plus all the artwork and new rules required.

Thanks,
MBM

Thank you so much for your reply. :D
What i would like to know is this:
1)Are the adventures the same material as the printed/pdf sold for face to face offline play? Or do they have added material to help playing online?
2) does the core rule book come with added tokens/ map tiles to make world maps/adventure site maps/system maps. ie material for playing online

E.G. If I buy reach adventure 1 do I receive the exact text/images from the printed version adapted for fantasy grounds or does it contain added material to help online play? Eg reach adventure 1 really needs a few maps for online play. Do I need to make them myself? Or are they provided?
Re. Price - I understand lots of work has gone in. I’m not questioning the value of Rulebook but it is a lot of money to lay out. I would like more info before I do.

JeffMindlin said:
Re. Price - I understand lots of work has gone in. I’m not questioning the value of Rulebook but it is a lot of money to lay out. I would like more info before I do.

Hey there,

Just to chip in on this point, this is something we are acutely aware of. The issue is that a) Fantasy Grounds is a third party with their own running costs that need to be covered and b) there is a lot of coding work needed for this - it is not just a case of transferring over text from the books, they are very much products in their own right that happen to draw upon text and graphics from those books.

We would love to be able to give away FG versions of Traveller with the printed versions or offer some sort of discount, but I am afraid we have not found a way to sensibly do it yet.

@mongoosematt good to hear from you thanks.
If you read my post I wasn’t complaining about the price but trying to get some information about what is included in the purchase as I consider it
I’m not sure whether you hadn’t read my post or that your reply was an answer - that there is just the text of the adventure.

JeffMindlin said:
@mongoosematt good to hear from you thanks.
If you read my post I wasn’t complaining about the price but trying to get some information about what is included in the purchase as I consider it
I’m not sure whether you hadn’t read my post or that your reply was an answer - that there is just the text of the adventure.

No worries - Madbeardman will be along with a proper answer to your questions, that was the one bit that was my department :)

Are there any examples or demos of using the Traveller Fantasy Grounds content? I bought the FG rules set but find it much more confusing than the simple MgT 2e roll20 character sheet, so far.

corsair1973 said:
Are there any examples or demos of using the Traveller Fantasy Grounds content? I bought the FG rules set but find it much more confusing than the simple MgT 2e roll20 character sheet, so far.

Too bad you didn't ask this a few weeks ago. I ran a pair of MGT 2e games over FG at Gen Con Online. I can run another game if we get 4-6 people.

The MGT 2e core book includes all the careers, aliens, skills, equipment, combat system programmed in, everything in the encounters, ships, psionics, and Sindal Subsector sections.

This isn't just a simple character sheet. You target someone, roll the attack, the program tells you if you hit, and when you roll damage it automatically adds the effect of the attack to the damage. You add boon/babe to a roll, you click a button and it automatically adds the third die and drops the appropriate die. You're doing something difficult and need to change difficulty number, it's a button click.

Ok. I’m guessing from the replies/lack of replies that the FG Adventures contain the identical material to the print and pdf ones. No added maps/materials/tokens for online play. I would still have to create maps of Marduk etc etc myself.
That’s not for me unfortunately.

corsair1973 said:
I found the roll 20 fan made sheet less than ideal. But the game system is not complicated so for me the issue is about content. Ie having adventures that are actually ready to run, without large amounts of work. That’s what I want to pay for...

JeffMindlin said:
Ok. I’m guessing from the replies/lack of replies that the FG Adventures contain the identical material to the print and pdf ones. No added maps/materials/tokens for online play. I would still have to create maps of Marduk etc etc myself.
That’s not for me unfortunately.

The rules of thumb are: "you get in the FG module what you get in the PDF" and "you get what is in the previews." A publisher is not about to pay for material to be added to the Fantasy Grounds module and leave it out of the print/PDF. Take High and Dry for a moment. You asked about tokens, Screenshot 2 shows 4 tokens. Screenshots don't have battle maps, PDF doesn't have battle maps, don't expect battle maps.

Back