Faith & Fervour Question for Vincent Darlage

Masterporg

Mongoose
In the Ibis section of Faith and Fervour it states that their Priests and Temples follow the Stygian models. This does not seem to make much sense as surely the Nemedian Ibis worshippers would want to distance themselves from anything Stygian to avoid increasing the suspicion amongst their Mitran countrymen. This looks to me like an example of bad cut and paste editing as there are other errors in the Ibis mysteries section.

I would appreciate it if Vincent or anyone else in the know could clarify what Nemedian Ibis Priests and Temples look like.

Thanks in advance,

Masterporg

The maps I prepared for that book were not printed. I don't know why they weren't printed, but I submitted a sample temple map for most (if not all) of the religions.

That is a good point about distancing themselves even to the point of changing their temple style - but if I went that route, then I have no idea what the temple would look like. Presuming most people never travel to Stygia, then people may not know what a Stygian temple even looks like, so the Ibis priests might be able to get away with it. It really wasn't a case of bad editing, just a choice on my part that offered a way to create an interesting temple without having to make it up whole cloth.

The comics seem to draw the priest of Ibis in a Stygian-like manner, so I went with that. Since Howard did not describe a priest of Ibis or his temple beyond saying they exist, I either had to use a pastiche source or invent my own.

Thanks for the reply Vincent.

I understand that most people in the Hyborian age don't travel and are ignorant of the world outside of their village, however surely the Mitran hierarchy (rabid monotheists that they are) and the famed nemedian scholars woulld know enough to be suspicious of the Ibis cult if they appeared very similar to their alleged enemies?

Also I always imagined that Nemedia (being Germany) would be a bit cold for Stygian clothing.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks again :D

Masterporg said:
Thanks for the reply Vincent.

I understand that most people in the Hyborian age don't travel and are ignorant of the world outside of their village, however surely the Mitran hierarchy (rabid monotheists that they are) and the famed nemedian scholars woulld know enough to be suspicious of the Ibis cult if they appeared very similar to their alleged enemies?

Also I always imagined that Nemedia (being Germany) would be a bit cold for Stygian clothing.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks again :D

If those scholars are so smart, surely they can differentiate between Ibis and Set though, right?

And in support of your point, Aquilonia (pre-Conan) kept out non-Mitrans, so there is plenty of Mitran suspicion of everyone presumably, though perhaps in Nemedia, this is tempered somewhat.

Back