Excel Ship Designer

Are you typing 1% of hull in there? Valid entries are whole numbers, 0+.
No idea where that would be coming from, unless it is inputting data validation notes.

Graple example.png

weird, the grapple problem seems to only be a problem in libreoffice. It works fine in Windows and Excel but on Linux and LibreOffice I get this. I would not worry about it. I do not imagine there are that many Linux users and even if there are that is literally the only place that does not appear to function (that I noticed anyway)
Have you tried it on Windows and LibreOffice? As for not many Linux users out there - I am one - but intend to get hold of the next High Guard before I play around with ship design. For some years now I have been refurbishing old unwanted computers and put Linux on them. I know of another volunteer who does the same. And there's more of us, spread across the globe...

Have you tried it on Windows and LibreOffice? As for not many Linux users out there - I am one - but intend to get hold of the next High Guard before I play around with ship design. For some years now I have been refurbishing old unwanted computers and put Linux on them. I know of another volunteer who does the same. And there's more of us, spread across the globe...
This is one reason I've been using an old version of Excel and staying away from the features like buttons (once I found out they didn't work on other systems)

I have not but sure can. I will set it up over the weekend and report.

I have been using Linux as my primary OS since about 2000. I am a programmer by trade and it fits my workflow but I am sort of used to assuming I am in the minority when it comes to non-programming tasks.

I have been using Linux as my primary OS since about 2000. I am a programmer by trade and it fits my workflow but I am sort of used to assuming I am in the minority when it comes to non-programming tasks.
Last version of that other thing I used was 3.1. Mostly Linux, but used OS/2 before that.

Are you typing 1% of hull in there? Valid entries are whole numbers, 0+.
No idea where that would be coming from, unless it is inputting data validation notes.

View attachment 887
to answer your question, no. if I add a "1" making the field "01" it says invalid value. If I delete the "0" and type a "1" then the field populates with the "% of Hull" automatically.

to answer your question, no. if I add a "1" making the field "01" it says invalid value. If I delete the "0" and type a "1" then the field populates with the "% of Hull" automatically.
Try this:

I moved the "1% of Hull" out of that column (from the Repair Probes). Let's see if it ignores it now that it is in another column and stops trying to autofill from a previous entry. Let me know what happens, please.

Last edited:
Try this:
Ship Designer

I moved the "1% of Hull" out of that column (from the Repair Probes). Let's see if it ignores it now that it is in another column and stops trying to autofill from a previous entry. Let me know what happens, please.
I still get the invalid value but it does not try to autofill any more.
I went ahead and filled out at least a row for each type of entry. the only ones that failed were the 2 grapples and the forced linkage apparatus. With any value other than "0" it gave me an invalid value error. for each of those three fields I tried "0", "1", "5", "0.3", and "d" I also tried "2" and "6" for the small and large grapples respectively (basically the tonnage for each)
I only did one row each of hangar bay, launch tubes, and recovery deck but put various values in all other rows.

1666395322555.png

I did note it used the "X - Y tons" lines for autocomplete in the airlocks fields but a backspace cleared that without issue. It probably cleared the autocomplete for the "% hull" as well but I was still getting the invalid value so conflated the two.

I still get the invalid value but it does not try to autofill any more.
I went ahead and filled out at least a row for each type of entry. the only ones that failed were the 2 grapples and the forced linkage apparatus. With any value other than "0" it gave me an invalid value error. for each of those three fields I tried "0", "1", "5", "0.3", and "d" I also tried "2" and "6" for the small and large grapples respectively (basically the tonnage for each)
I only did one row each of hangar bay, launch tubes, and recovery deck but put various values in all other rows.
Thanks for that.
Think I may have it.
Try this:

Current Version: 2022.10.20b

Last edited:
Yeah, I only did 5 airlock lines (one for each option) and one line for the other repeat lines but everything seems to work.

Thanks for your patience and help!

I'd tried designing one - and only got so far. Now I don't need to bother - thanks. Will report any issues I find.

Fixed issues with the Cargo tab. The second bay's loaders were not playing well with others.
Took Spartan159's suggestion and broke out the individual bay groups rather than just reporting the total of all bays. Each group now reports on the record sheet whether it has a crane or loaders.
Also automated the reductions in required crew for large ships to be compliant with HG2022. Previously, I had relied on the Custom column for that, but now that it is no longer a flat number... and because I have forgotten to apply that reduction in a couple of designs I've posted... I idiot proofed it from myself.
Note that I did NOT apply that reductions to stations. I am assuming that the stations section was written for large structures and that Mongoose intended all of those crew to be present. I will be happy to fix that if the assumption is wrong.

Current Version: 2023.02.25

Last edited:
Agriculture Manufacturing Plants calculate correctly now. Thanks, Spartan 159.

Current Version: 2023.03.03

Last edited:
Spartan 149 requested Traveller Companion Ship Automation.
Default is standard, which leaves everything alone, if you don't want to use that rule.
Implemented on the Ship Info Tab, since it affects several later steps.
Also tied the max Data Mining level to the main computer.

Current Version: 2023.03.14

Last edited:
Since we have a semi-official answer, J7-J9 control programs added.

Current Version: 2023.03.15

Last edited:
Back