Excel Ship Designer

Corrected for the new implementation of barbettes on small craft. Now only allowed on 70+ tons and uses all three fixed firm points.

Current Version 2022.08.20

Last edited:
It was brought to my attention that checkboxes and other legacy form tools do not work on the free versions of Excel.
Those have been removed.
If you do not have that issue, you DO NOT need this update.

Current Version 2022.08.21

Last edited:
Fixed an issue where the new PDB's were reporting the wrong damage on the SDD's
Fixed an issue where Power was sometimes not calculating correctly on the record sheet after adding battle power.

Current Version: 2022.08.25

Last edited:
One thing I noticed for Large ships (100KT upward) the Bridge sizes were not correct - they Max out at 60 Tons for 100K and do not add 20 Tons per 100K.

Thanks, ChrisJ.
Big bridges should work for standard, command and detached bridges now
Current Version: 2022.08.26

Last edited:
Thanks, Geir.
SSD critical chart fixed. If you don't use the SSD's you don't need this update.
Current Version 2022.08.26a

Last edited:
Legibility update for SSD Critical chart. Forced the text onto two lines so I could read them again...
If you don't use SSD's, you don't need this update.
Current Version 2022.08.26b

Last edited:
Spartan159 pointed me to the TL 16 systems in Behind the Claw.
Comp/40; Core/110;Superior Sensor Array; Advanced Countermeasures Suite
Those are now added.

Current Version 2022.09.06

Last edited:
MAJOR UPDATE

Added Modules, Stations and research
You switch between Ship, Station and Module on the Ship Info Tab.

Consider this more Beta than usual. I've tested it, but I tend to make the same kind of ship and haven't tested how all combinations react together...
Keep your OLD version. Just in case...
I'll keep the last link (in the previous post) intact as a precaution.

Also, I recommend renaming the blank file to differentiate between the one you use for ships, stations and modules.
Some systems are not compatible and this shows on the bridge... plus nothing's worse than finding out you saved a 2,000,000 dton starport to your master copy and now you need to make a one hundred ton scout (What? No, that's not personal experience talking! Why do you ask?).

Most Starport Components are located on the 9b-Options Tab. That page will tell you the equivalent starport grade for each section, and when you are in station design mode, there is a colored chart on the Ship Info Tab that does the same.

You can toggle whether to combine station housing with crew housing on the Stateroom Tab. Note that in this version, Residential zone common areas are automatically added at a rate of half the housing volume. So if you want a cramped crew section, use the Stateroom tab.

Current Version: 2022.09.25

Ship Designer: Get it here

Firstly, I just want to say how amazing is your spreadsheet and I use it alot to help plan my game - often re-creating High Guard and other official ships using it to keep the designs consistent. I must have near 30-50 designs on my HD using your spreadsheet.

Tried doing some small ship designs yesterday, and may have come across some bugs:

Firstly it seems that Firmpoint Barbette's are over costing the weapons mounted on them - tried re-creating the High Guard Torpedo Boat, and the Torpedo Barbette was priced at 9MCr instead of 3MCr.

Secondly it seems you can't create custom weapons for Firmpoints - tried as a work around for the above, and tried to create the Torpedo Grapple from Aliens of Charted Space Vol2.

Thanks for your amazing work.
CJ

Stay safe and save the batteries in case the power goes out.
Will do... and it wasn't a hard fix.
Was using the weapon count for the hardpoints in the cost calculation. Should work now, but the custom weapons in small craft will have to wait on an overhaul of the way I index mount size. Right now it only looks at the ones for ships over 100 tons.

Current Version 2022.09.27

Last edited:
Ian went away. Had to wait for the power to come back on... and then the internet provider to get themselves back online again.

Found issues with small modules on big ships.
There are a couple of ways you can do modules.
Prior to separating them into their own mode, you can toggle in the modular section on the Hull tab to calculate as if modules are installed. This adds the cost of the module frame into the cost of the ship, then you have to make sure your drives, power plants and control centers don't exceed your non-modular totals.
If you use the Module mode, make sure that toggle is unchecked on the base ship, because the module will also calculate its frame cost.

The way I am trying to make the Module work is that is does not matter how big the module is, just how big the ship is. So if you can fit a 50 ton weapon bay into a 50 ton Module, the program will let you do that. Unfortunately, I used tonnage to determine whether or not you can do that... so small bays were rejecting large scale weapons and not calculating gunners. I THINK I found all of those.

Current version: 2022.09.30

Last edited:
First of all I want to say a huge thank you for this. I worked on making a node.js based ship designer but ended up stopping long before I got to the detail you have provided.

I do have one question though. Where in the rules does the cost reduction for higher tech levels of the item come from? (for jump/maneuver drives as an example)

One other observation. When I try and set a count for grappling arm, tow cable, etc on the 9a tab in specific the system seems to want to use %of hull rather than quantity and fails.

Thanks!
High tech cost reduction is an optional rule, extrapolating from the reduction in cost of spinal mounts. It takes the place of any other mods, so you have to choose between the optional rule or the standard (but still optional) rule. Any of the tech mods cost 3, and so precludes adding any others.
You can only have one tow cable the way I have it coded.
I will check on the grappling arm thing. I know I've mounted multiple arms of different sizes before.

Edit: Grappling arms are 2 or 6 tons each. They appear to be calculating correctly. Tow cables are 1% of hull tonnage. I have turned off access to the quantity field... oops. It calculates as 1 or 0 based on the installed box (until I overhaul that page to get rid on the installed/not installed thing).

Current Version 2022.10.20

Last edited:
weird, the grapple problem seems to only be a problem in libreoffice. It works fine in Windows and Excel but on Linux and LibreOffice I get this. I would not worry about it. I do not imagine there are that many Linux users and even if there are that is literally the only place that does not appear to function (that I noticed anyway)

1666377036568.png

Back