Defensive Burst and AoO's

Oly

Mongoose
Hi,

A question that came up during play last night, does a defensive burst cause Attacks or Opportunity from those that can do them?

On the one hand it's a spell, which I believe does trigger them.

On the other side it's a free action.

Is there an official line on this? Any opinions?

Oly

The chart on page 155 says that Free Actions essentially are so fast that they don't provoke and attack of opportunity. Basically, the Sorcerer doesn't even need to gesture to use Defensive Blast - it just happens with a thought.

The caveat is the usual sub-note 1 for that chart: if you move out of a threatened square while doing any action, even a free action, you will provoke and AOO.

The same page offers the explanation of what is allowed during a Free Action, but it simply says the following, leaving things open to in-game situations and GM sensibilties:

"You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action* normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free."

The asterisk ther is mine, but I see that as being a place where you can aplly judgement as well. If a previous action or an action which that Free Action is combined with provoke AOOs, then the Free Action will as well. My guess is that it will most often be combined in the same round with moving in some way, but remember that because Free Actions take no time for the most part, and many can be used within the span of a single round, you have to look at what else the character is doing to see if an AOO is porovoked.

Alternatively, if you think the circumstances warrant that the blast is "telegraphed"in some way (the sorcerer is acting skittish or particularly wary; the attackers have been suprised by the blast before and are expecting it; he's prone or tied up; etc.) then you can always step in as GM and say it provokes. The description of Free ACtions in general allows for that.

Cheers for the reply.

Yes I did see the chart on page 155, it was one of my players pointing to the "cast a spell" entry that brought on the debate. The definition of a free action on page 163 does say "free actions rarely incur attacks of opportunity" but doesn't say when those "rare" situations arise. I guess, as you say, that's where GM fiat comes in.

They'll be facing another sorcerer next time, I'll have to think whether to warn them in or out of game.

Thanks again.

Oly

Yep, tat's the thing though: it's not a spell, it's just a Free Action. That makes sorcerers pretty nasty, particularly when there's a lot of PP to burn off...or as an AOO.

"I'n so weak...I can't possibly go on...help me..."

ZZAAAAPPP!!!!

lol

I'm pretty sure defensive blast does not provoke an AoO. IIRC, you can use DB as a free action even when it isn't your turn, and you can use it as an AoO of your own. Somebody with access to Da Roolz will no doubt verify or refute this.

It's already been posted that a defensive blast is a free action, but since it took me a couple minutes to look it up, I just wanted to say that a brief description is given on page 185 under The Rule of Defence. As it says, it "may be taken either on the sorcerer's own turn, or any other time he is eligible to act or attack, such as when he takes an attack of opportunity or unleashes a readied action."

I've been asked this question before, so I'm just pointing out the last sentence under this section says that the sorcerer himself if unaffected by his own blast.

Hope this helps.

Bregales said:
It's already been posted that a defensive blast is a free action, but since it took me a couple minutes to look it up, ...
A couple of minutes? Dude, it's been almost a month! That must have been one hell of a lotus dream ... :lol:

Bregales said:
on page 185 under The Rule of Defence. As it says, it "may be taken either on the sorcerer's own turn, or any other time he is eligible to act or attack, such as when he takes an attack of opportunity or unleashes a readied action."

A couple of things:

1. The point of this is supposed to be a close-up last-ditch effort, so if it triggered an AoO from all those around, it seems like this would often result in the sorceror getting hacked down before it goes off, thus it wouldn't much work. Counterpoint: maybe that should be how to work it, as it would keep sorcerors from running into a pack of people and blasting, if they would just get cut down before so?

2. Per the quote above (I did not verify this), it would seem odd that something that itself can be used as an AoO could trigger an AoO, so that suggests it does not trigger such.

InsomNY said:
Bregales said:
It's already been posted that a defensive blast is a free action, but since it took me a couple minutes to look it up, ...
A couple of minutes? Dude, it's been almost a month! That must have been one hell of a lotus dream ... :lol:
LOL, okay, I was on vacation and just got to looking at the boards yesterday. :lol:

Back