Creation of New Techno-Mages - Spoilers

Mage Ash

Mongoose
Okay, this is just a thought I had as I went over Darkness and Light. (Which is my favorite book out of all those written by the Mongoose, I love the technology lists of the Shadows/Vorlons. Second favorite book is the one on Techno-Mages.)

Anyway, we know that it is the Shadows who made the Techno-Mages. They produce the tech through the use of Substrate technology. That is, both the Tech and Chrysalis grow from a formerly-living being. For every 3 Con points one Tech point is gained. see page 95 of S&L

We also know that Techno-Mages have a small number of technology points. This is listed on page 100 as 3+1 per Techno-Mage Level. These Techno-Mage points can be used in any Personal, Agent or Device technology.

Substate technology is listed as Bio-Organic, Agent, Device, Structure, Vessel.

Now this might be a nasty solution to the problem, but the way I see it a Techno-Mage learned the way to (so I'm guessing Galen could if he wanted to as he now talks to the tech as an equal rather than a master over slaves) activate substrate technology he could then graft it onto another body. Since their are very few beings in the galaxy that has a Con score of 150 multiple bodies would have to be used to provide the necessary energy for the Techno-Mage implants. I'm guessing that the Chrysalis and the indivdual tech-strands are each different uses of the substate.

To make it so that a Techno-Mage wouldn't have to kill a person and then use Substrate technology onto them, couldn't the techno-mage clone a body. It might take time but they might be able to create bodies with a high enough Con score for the reproduction of the tech. Plus, I very much doubt most techno-mages would have a problem with giving some of their DNA for the cloning of body parts to allow them access to the powers of a Techno-Mage. Just a thought.

Okay, I'm done for now. But I will be back as I continue to read over the fine text of both the books Shadow and Light and the Techno-Mage Factbook.

[Techno-]Mage Ash

------------------------------------------------

Here is another thought: If the powers of the Techno-Mages are Shadow Tech, then anything that Techno-Mages can do Shadows (and probably other First Ones) can do better.

In the Techno-Mage Factbook there is a spell called Enlarged Interior (pg. 124) used by the Pinnaces. By question would be what is the ability of the Shadows to make spaces larger on the inside than their outside appearances would dictate.

Ash

I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to, the Techno-Mages could easily find a way to replicate the technology that they use. It might not be as good as they once had but it would mean that their order wouldn't die out.

I don't think they could. According to JMS, part of additional seasons of Crusade would have been the Technomages' courting of the Earth Alliance to get their hands on some Shadow tech to be able to replicate their own tech.

Rainer

If I was a Shadow, I'd make sure that the Technomage tech couldn't be used to replicate itself, as a security precaution. They wanted races to prove themselves through conflict, not hand out technological uplifts to everyone.

And in the Drakh book it says that the Drakh can be Mages too but no use the Chrysalis though the Shadows never wanted them to be Mages

Shadow Queen said:
And in the Drakh book it says that the Drakh can be Mages too but no use the Chrysalis though the Shadows never wanted them to be Mages

Yeah but it also states that all the attempts made by the Drakh to create a Technomage have resulted in failure because they dont have the understanding of Shadow technology. They know how to use it and create new versions but the true understanding is beyond them, like most Shadow tech. Plus they only started trying to make a technomage 'recently'.

Also, wasnt it going to be a rogue technomage that would be trying to duplicate the tech with the aid of the Earth Alliance or something? I know that in the end of the season, Crusade was going to have human 'technomages' and I use that word loosely. They were going to be humans with black shadowy skin who emit that shriek the Shadow vessels make.

No, that weren't Technomages, but Shadow soldiers (called Shadow peons, if I'm not mistaken) - at least if the info in the Crusade sourcebook is correct. I understand that this info has been taken directly from JMS's scripts, so it should be correct.

Whether it was a rogue Technomage or someone sent by the Circle who was going to work with the EA, I cannot really say. However, the info as given above would point to a representative of the Circle. There was supposed to be a scene were Galen was reporting to another Technomage, which sounds pretty "Circle-ish" to me.

Rainer

Must have been confusing it with the plot for The Memory of Shadows which was supposed to be out but sadly is not. In the plot it was said that there was a rogue Technomage selling tech around and Galen wanted to stop it or something.

Back