Converting to T20 Question

Mac V

Mongoose
Not ever have run or played Classic or T20, does it look like the new Mongoose Traveller will easily convert to T20?

I want to use the rules as presented, but my group seems to rather stick with a D20 based game.

Mac V said:
Not ever have run or played Classic or T20, does it look like the new Mongoose Traveller will easily convert to T20?

I want to use the rules as presented, but my group seems to rather stick with a D20 based game.

Using T20 means you'll be using T20's mechanics, chargen, and equipment, right?

I think the adventures will work well enough in T20. Starships will be close enough for casual players. World data will be the same.

Chargen won't produce D20 characters, which probably rules that out, but then you'll use T20. Or, maybe it's just a matter of adding Feats into MGT.

Weapons will have different ratings, I bet.

If they're likely to stick to d20, then why not just run Traveller for them using the T20 rules? That's basically what they're there for :).

Yes, I guess I'd stick to the T20 stuff for rules, but was more concerned with how much I'd have to convert as far a patrons, worlds, ships, etc.

I'd really like to stay near published adventures, and I'm definitly buying the Mongoose stuff.

Thing is, we play around 3 hours a week and would like to get more game in than we have with fantasy D20. From what I've read of the Mongoose playtest, combat would be much quicker and less to keep track of...

Going to T20:
Multiply atts by 1.5.
Wis and Chr can be either freshly rolled or figured. I'd use (Soc+Dex+Int)/2 =T20 Chr, and (Int+Edu+End)/2 = T20 Wis, or fresh roll them.

Skill Levels: A level 0 should be T20 level 1-2; a level 1 should be skill levels 3-5, level 2 skills go to 6-8, etc. Use feats to adjust to fit.

Well that doesn't sound half bad.

I still would rather use this system, but if it's T20 or bust, I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Mac V said:
Well that doesn't sound half bad.

I still would rather use this system, but if it's T20 or bust, I guess I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

There's a free T20 Lite booklet. Extra weapons are in a .pdf which isn't every expensive.

Mike

Is there much difference from T20's version of planets and ships be similar to Mongooses?

I'm asking all the questions becauseI want to use the new adventures, etc from Mongoose without spending much time on conversion. So, if it's going to be a real pain, I'll try a bit harder to get my guys into the Mongoose version...

Mac V said:
Is there much difference from T20's version of planets and ships be similar to Mongooses?

I'm asking all the questions becauseI want to use the new adventures, etc from Mongoose without spending much time on conversion. So, if it's going to be a real pain, I'll try a bit harder to get my guys into the Mongoose version...

T20 uses the CT book High Guard for starships.

The planets are all from CT the Universal World Profile. I think Mongoose Traveller uses High Guard and the UPP for planets.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I do appreciate it.

So, to sum up, I'd be using T20 for the characters and Character Combat. Then I could use the new Mongoose stuff from there and be in business?

qstor said:
Mac V said:

T20 uses the CT book High Guard for starships.

The planets are all from CT the Universal World Profile. I think Mongoose Traveller uses High Guard and the UPP for planets.

Mike

Not entirely.

T20 has different computer rules, and some additions to the CT-HG design system.

The star generation is slightly different, too... but if you are not looking at both, you'll likely miss it...

Aramis is right. I wasn't entirely correct. :D

For detailed star system generation as well you'll need a system like CT Scouts Book 6, GURPS Space/GUPRS Traveller First In or the old MegaTraveller World Builders Handbook too.

T20 uses some of the elements from CT Book 6.

Mike

Back