convertibility (its a word, shut your mouth)

ianvancheese

Mongoose
ok, many have voiced their concerns about the upcoming changes to the starship troopers game, however im pretty much onboard and i like almost everything about it. however there is the tiny issue of the models being preconstructed. i just dont see how convertible models are going to be, especially the mi. so please put my fears to rest or at leats confirm them so i can get used to it.

ianvancheese said:
i just dont see how convertible models are going to be,

They are plastic, you have entire old range available for bits source. I don't forsee big problems for converting. Plastic cuts nicely with sharp knife :lol:

Detach limb, insert modelling putty, reattach and reposition limb, sculpt putty around join. Just like converting metals but easier to cut.

Easy ;)

Also very easy for me to say, but as soon I can get hold of some minis it's going to be the second thing I'll be trying to see how easy or difficult it'll be.

The first of course will be repainting.

It is indeed a word, HOWEVER - it has nothing to do with miniatures.

Convertibility

Type: noun
Definition: charge for exchanging currency

But we all know what you meant buddy.

:wink:

thanx guys, means a lot to me that you understand my learning disabilities(stupidness) lol (disclaimer: this comment is in no way meant to offend people with actual learning disabilities.)
anyway im at ease, now just the money thing to worry about lol
(disclaimer mark 2: mongoose publishings prices kick ass, but they could be free and i would struggle to be able to afford them.)

ianvancheese said:
thanx guys, means a lot to me that you understand my learning disabilities(stupidness) lol (disclaimer: this comment is in no way meant to offend people with actual learning disabilities.)
(disclaimer mark 2: mongoose publishings prices kick ass, but they could be free and i would struggle to be able to afford them.)

I was only playing, actually it wasn't until the other day (I was looking something up in the Dictionary) I came across it - I thought it meant what you thought it meant Lol!

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
ianvancheese said:

I was only playing, actually it wasn't until the other day (I was looking something up in the Dictionary) I came across it - I thought it meant what you thought it meant Lol!

i knw lol, and ud really think it would mean wat we thought it wud

ianvancheese said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:
ianvancheese said:

Hey - its the English Language - it often makes no sense!

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
ianvancheese said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:

Hey - its the English Language - it often makes no sense!

hey it could be worse, it could be french lol.
(Obvious non racism disclaimer)

It's not Racist, French isn't a race, it's a nationality. I could be French, all I'd need to do is move house. I can't change race. If I could, I would, I'd be an ocelot.

It had better not be, otherwise I need to change all of my material.

(Im not rascist saying this)
But theres some DNA difference between some different ethnicities, not enough to effect genetic makeup. Thats why theres different skin tones, DNA is what makes different Races. Its all Humanity yes, but theres different forms. I guess the term rascist is more to do with a person of one ethnicity making fun of another, rather than a person of one nationality against another nationality. Its a difficult term.

IIRC the three most recognised 'races' within the species of MAn are Mongloid, Caucasian and Negroid.

Though the thinking may have changed since I read that many years ago.

LBH

(I don't care which race I'm in so long as I don't finish last :lol: )

There indeed are different races, espacially in medical science that is becoming more and more important.

lastbesthope said:
IIRC the three most recognised 'races' within the species of MAn are Mongloid, Caucasian and Negroid.

Though the thinking may have changed since I read that many years ago.

LBH

(I don't care which race I'm in so long as I don't finish last :lol: )

The term race distinguishes one population of humans (or non-humans in the case of animals and fiction) from another. Many regard race as a social construct (so being French or English for example). The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color and facial features), genes, and self-identification. Conceptions of race, as well as specific racial groupings, vary by culture and over time and are often controversial, for scientific reasons as well as their impact on social identity and identity politics.

Since the mid 1940s, evolutionary scientists have rejected the view of race according to which any number of finite lists of essential characteristics could be used to determine a like number of races.

For example, the convention of categorizing the human population based on human skin colors was used, but hair colors, eye colors, nose sizes, lip sizes, and heights were not.

Many evolutionary and social scientists think common race definitions, or any race definitions pertaining to humans, lack validity - if these differences were based on ethnicity, its unlikely that they would be able to interbreed effectivel and yet every branch of Humanity can have children with every other.

The argument that race definitions are imprecise, arbitrary, derived from custom, and that the races observed vary according to the culture examined - for example, the attitudes towards slaves during the height of the Slave Trade, they were considered inferior and of a different species or 'race' to their masters.

They further maintain that "race" as such is best typified as a social construct, and conceptualize and analyze human genotyes and racial variation in terms of populations and climes instead. So once again being French (or Welsh Lol) could be considered a Race.

Other scientists, however, have argued that this position is motivated more by political than scientific reasons - by enforecing such divisions (either by country or colour of skin). They argue that categories of self-identified race/ethnicity or bio-geographic heritage are both valid and useful, that these categories correspond with clusters inferred from multilocus genetic data, and that this correspondence implies that genetic factors might contribute to unexplained phenotypic variation between groups.

There intent is a simple one, such 'scientists' merely seek to increase the psychological distance between groups - whether those groups are base upon ethnicity or country.

I believe vehimently that there is only one Race - the Human race. Discrimination because of skin colour or country is not only destructive and old hat - its pointless.

Biologically there are no different human races. Biologists are pretty much consistent with this. There's as much genetic variation between two 'caucasian' people from different countries as there is between me and an eskimo. Race in humans is a social thing. There are consistent racial variations amongst people of the same 'race' but this is just hereditary, your hair, skin, eyes etc... are inherited from you parents, so the prevailing genetic traits hang around. The racial stereotypes are all genetic and can be passed on to any offspring. If Hitler had succeeded he would have bred his race of tall blondes, but they would have been nothing more than a hereditary group, not a specific different race..... same with asian people, they've mainly had offspring with other asian people, same with caucasians, same with every group. As travel gets more common the human 'race' is becoming homogenised. The distinct differences are diluted. The social 'races' that we use such as negroid, mongoloid etc.. are just a throwback.
Think about it, I'm different to you as I had different parents, but if your white I'll share a fair few traits common to our hereditary line, take any asian, I'll share a fair few with him but not the same ones, I'm not likely to have all of the ones he shares with other asians.
Racial similarities are just common factors that stand out when we line up.
Biologically speaking, a human is a human. Anything else is just a label and has no scientific validity, that's been accepted since the 40's. (Although Hitler had his scientists 'approve' it all again and turn it into an accepted science... in so far as if you didn't accept it you vanished).

Galatea said:
There indeed are different races, espacially in medical science that is becoming more and more important.

There aren't, there are different groups among us that share common traits, but that's it. E.g sickle cell anaemia...... it's a genetic condition that natural selection has actually encouraged. It's common in populations that inhabit malarial problem areas. sickle cell is horrendous, if carriers have children then out of four kids one will die, two will carry the trait (and have sickle cell crisis) and one will be fine.
Normally natural selection will ensure the bad genes are lost, but in this case the healthy kid will probably get malaria and die... so the sickle sell carriers are actually the ones that survive (sickle cell trait protects against malaria).
Now most sickle cell carriers/sufferers are black, is it something only that 'race' can get? Nope, anyone can inherit it, it's just that the population who had it were concentrated in Africa, where most people were black. Simple as that. If a black carrier/white couple have a kid he/she can inherit it. If that kid has children with a white person, their offspring could be a carrier..... in two generations a child is born who's white and carries sickle cell. (one black grandparent, usually ends up apparently white as 'race' specific cosmetic characteristics are lost).

So, medically, there are no races, geographically and sociologically there are. If you think otherwise, name a disease/condition that can only be caught by a member of a certain race and could never appear in a different group.
If a white man moves to Japan, then within a couple of generations his familly will appear to all intents and purposes Japanese. So how the hell could we be of different 'races' our DNA is 100% compatible, there are no characteristics that are totally unique to one race and can't appear in the others.
It's no different to dogs, biologically a dog is a dog. we then bred them into a variety of different shapes and sizes, but they are all still dogs. Our differences are caused by geographical barriers. We picked up traits suitable to where we lived, so we condensed those differences. Now that we can fly anywhere in the world these differences are being watered down.

Back