[Conan] Favored Classes; Scholars

Spectator

Mongoose
I have a gripe with some of the races that qualify for Scholar for Favored Classes:

I don't think that Hyborians should get it unless it is only for non-sorcerous scholars; Although I might grant Kothians the privilege due to their proximity to the south and Pelias and Salome being able sorcerers. I would also grant Hyperboreans the favored class, since they seem to be a bunch of bad-guy sorcerers.

I don't like Liguraens (white skinned picts) getting it (see Across Thunder River) without the Picts getting that edge. The Picts always seem to have a strong sorcerous ability in the books. Either both should have it or neither should.

I don't like the Zamorians and Vendhyans not getting it (after all Yara and the Master of Yimsha, were pretty solid sorcerers.

I remember they did a write up for Acheronians in Signs and Portents #6: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/signsnportentsarchive
I thought they could have made Acheronians into a double favored scholar class; meaning that a normal favored class guy gets a free feat at 1st, 5th, and 10th levels; then a double favored would get additional feats at 11th, 15th, and 20th levels.

I kinda miss the Chaga of the 1st edition getting a free sorcerous feat, but the elimination of that in the 2nd edition did not change much.

What do you guys think?

I think PCs should be special and all classes should be favored classes for them.

I think NPCs are built however the GM wants them to be built.

The favored class rules are fine for providing stereotypes or average members of the race, which helps with quicker NPC creation/use.

If you concern yourself with them for PCs, it depends upon how many Hyborians you want to have in the party since they gain the most benefit from the rules.

Interesting concept about PC all being a favored class recipient no matter their background.

Why?

Why should a cultured Khitan prosper in the wilderness of the Kezankian Mountains as much as a Kezankian
Hillman Barbarian (new race from Shadizar the boxed set)?

As I said, my view is that PCs should be special. PCs should go beyond the rules in some way. This can be one such way since it's a fairly elegant way to identify what makes PCs special. Of course, it takes much of the thunder from Hyborians, though there are still other reasons to play them.

In what fantasy fiction are the protagonists average members of a group?

Ichabod said:
As I said, my view is that PCs should be special. PCs should go beyond the rules in some way.

Well...they do.

PCs get Fate Points. You dont' see too many NPCs with FPs.

Plus, given the d20 attribute arrays, PCs are generated using 4d6 drop lowest, arrange to taste. If you consider the d20 arrays legal in the Conan RPG, then "standard" NPCs are generated using 3d6, arrange to taste.

That's two ways that PCs are cut from a heavier cloth than NPCs, and even if you disregard the attribute arrays by using the same generation method (or the elite array) for your NPCs, Fate Points alone weight the game in the PC's favor.

Three FPs at the start of the game make it almost 100% likely that the PC will live through three separate blows that would kill him.

That's a pretty strong perk.

Back