[CONAN] Dreamland? Another Dimension or Plane? Magic?

This is an interesting concept that is introduced in Conan tales but not expanded upon. I'm thinking about putting this idea into my campaign.

In the tale of the Frost Giant's Daughter, Conan thinks he may be dreaming at the end of the story, because physical proof of what he experienced is no where to be found....except for the piece of gossamer he clutched in his hand.

In Conan of Venarium, and similar event occurs in the young barbarian's life where he discovers an ancient temple where none has been seen before, then defeats a giant snake that inhabits the place, only to wake up and find no trace of the temple...except for the poison-tipped arrows he made by dipping the arrowheads into the snake's venom sack.

Where did these events take place? In Conan's mind? In an alternate reality? In a dreamland, another dimension, other plane of existence? Was it the result of magic or the power of the gods?

What are your thoughts on this?

Mine are riding around the idea that lands to the north (Cimmeria, Nordheim, and parts of Hyperborea) are permeated with the "shadow" of the former peoples who lived here during the Thurian Age, and sometimes, a man can cross that border for a short time, experiencing the same physical space but in another time of existence. Maybe traveling through the godly realm?

Whether the phenomena is real or not is yet to be decided. Maybe it's an echo of ancient Atlantis and the Valusian empire.

Ideas?

Comments?

I might go a bit Lovecraftian here and use the actual Dreamland supplement and adapted it.

The Dreamland is fairly tame and not so bad -compered to the rest of the Mythos- and can actually be quite pleasant. It may be that the dream land of the Hyborian age still hold Echos of the Thurian Age and older ages.

Boneguard said:
I might go a bit Lovecraftian here and use the actual Dreamland supplement and adapted it.

The Dreamland is fairly tame and not so bad -compered to the rest of the Mythos- and can actually be quite pleasant. It may be that the dream land of the Hyborian age still hold Echos of the Thurian Age and older ages.
I was going with this same explanation. The Dreamlands are a part of the "mythos" hence they seem appropriate for this case.

Supplement Four said:
In the tale of the Frost Giant's Daughter, Conan thinks he may be dreaming at the end of the story, because physical proof of what he experienced is no where to be found....except for the piece of gossamer he clutched in his hand.

Some years ago we had a hot debate on this forum as to whether this was true and real or a manisfestation of the dreamland. I was for the second solution. In Glorantha (a setting with Runequest rules where myths can become real) this would be a place where gods live. And indeed, Atali is a daughter of Ymir.

BTW this recalls me of an old song by Scorpions (Fly to the Rainbow):

Well, I lived in magic solitude
Of cloudy-looking mountains
And a lake made out of crystal raindrops ...
Roaming through Space tenthousand years ago
I've seen the giant city of Atlantis
Sinking to eternal waves of darkness ...

Somewhere in the blue distance
Are those long-forgotten trees of yore
A broken violin floating alone in December
Darkness everywhere and nothing more.

Symbol - strange Symbol - Melancholy
Painting torrid colors to a sky of green
Candle breathing one night only
Far away - in chillness - bleak - unseen ...

Drifting galley - ghostlike shadow,
Sails rigged to catch and kill the Time...
Echoes wandering down an endless meadow
To call the Thing ... Sublime !...

Back