Conan Collectible Card Game

terryallenuk

Mongoose
Comic Images has announced that it will be producing a Conan Collectible Card Game for release late in 2005. Images will be from recent successful Conan products by other licensees, including Dark Horse, publisher of the current popular comic book incarnation of Robert E. Howard's barbarian adventurer, and Mongoose Publishing, producers of the Conan RPG.

The Conan CCG will be sold in starter sets and booster packs.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/6583.html

How I hate CCG Games. Not because of the fun but they are expensive to buy if you want the whole collection.
Definitly not gamers-friendly.

The King said:
How I hate CCG Games. Not because of the fun but they are expensive to buy if you want the whole collection.
Definitly not gamers-friendly.

Collectible Card gamess are an instrument of social control developed by MK-Ultra. Victory goes to the rich, who can buy the cards which are both rare and powerful (thus difficult to attack and/or defend against), so they provide a motivation for kids to learn to GET MONEY TO BUY THINGS, as opposed to teaching them any social skills as are taught by RPGs. It is possible to play an RPG with pencil and paper and nothing else but a vivid imagination (I've even run once without dice!), but it is impossible to play a CCG without money -- yours or someone else's. A role-player may never gain socialization skills beyond learning that while hacking and slashing made-up monsters is okay, hacking and slashing the person sitting next to you at a game table is not acceptable. Some CCGs don't even teach that much, because the bottom line is: whoever has the most real-life money will ultimately win.

I have hundreds upon hundreds of Mythos cards (costing hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of dollars), and I'm sure that I'm still missing some cards. I would dearly love to buy Call of Cthulhu CCG cards, because they are beautifully executed, but I haven't started because I don't want to have to spend a fortune trying to track down some elusive scrap of cardstock which has no intrinsic value and limited resale value. Given the vast possibilities of Conan card subjects, I would be extremely reluctant to start collecting them because (as happened with Mythos) just as I am surely closing in on the most elusive rares, some new set would pop up and I would want those cards, too, thus increasing the number of rares which I must hunt down. *sigh*

The money-making powers of Magic: the Gathering, have certainly made their mark on Hasbro. Wizards has repeatedly published books which state that they are absolutely definitive, even as they had new editions or conflicting (but over-ruling!) rule books or supplements are on their drawing boards. The most egregious example concerns the publishing of the 3.$ rules after many publishers had developed product lines of their own using the D20 system, which then either had to be re-published in revised editions or became instantly obsolete (and thus no longer competitive with WOTC after the other publisher had introduced new gamers to FRPGs based on the D&D core rules, which many people shunned simply because they bore the taboo name "Dungeons & Dragons"). There have been other examples of such duplicity. The very last line of text in Faiths and Pantheons categorically states that there are no other deities on Toril than those presented therein; WOTC thereupon published several books with new Forgotten Realms deities, and decreed that they were canonical. And they mixed player information with DM information again (and again and again), meaning that EVERYONE had to buy EVERY book in order to keep up with the never-ending stream of new rules, and if a player could afford one and DM couldn't, the player was suddenly placed in the position of power vis-a-vis the rules. Thus the lesson taught by their CCG has been carried over into D & D: GET MONEY TO BUY MORE THINGS OR YOU LOSE.

Pfui to that.

I run 3.0, which allows me to use a wide range of material from other publishers, including Mongoose. If WOTC doesn't like that, they are free to buy back all of the 3.0 books I bought from them even while they were writing their 3.$ books. And I don't play Magic, either. Why should I buy into a game whose publisher sells me a product and then tells me that it is against the rules to use it, as WOTC has done repeatedly with Magic cards?

A Conan Collectible Card Game? No thanks. A Conan card game with all of the cards available as a set and no gambling on a package's contents? A game in which my skill or luck is the deciding factor and not how many hundreds of dollars I'm willing to plow into it Sure!

Great post JamalloKreen! Makes me glad I never was sucked into the CCG craze. I almost picked up the Call of Cthulhu set but it disappeared from my local store and never came back. I did pick up Warcry but never was motivated to go beyond the starter set. I definitely plan to pick up the Conan game though. It’s Conan! Sounds like a Conan board game would be just what you’re asking for. Mayhap we will get that someday as well. :D

What we need is for Mongoose to do a Sergio Aragones' Groo inspired Conan Card Game. I'd buy that. Or perhaps Groo vs. Conan: The Apocalypse.

I gave up CCGs, but I see they haven't give up on me...

I hate MMORPGs but I'd buy Conan MMORPG.
I don't like CCGs but I'd buy Conan CCG.

I hope they won't make Conan Circumstition...

The only CCG I ever bought was for the Hercules & Xena series from WotC + one extension (that is 360 x 2 + 75 cards), especially because I like Greek myths so much (even with the special anachronistic vision of this series)
They are graphically excellent (pictures of the TV series) and I initially bought them on ebay at reduced price $20.00 or so for a whole starter box. Then of course I wanted to finish the collection and had to buy them individually.
These cards aren't the most expensive one considering that the rarest is sold for $7.00.
Now if I buy 30 cards with a middle price of $4.00, that is still $120.00 for 30 cards.
For this price you can have 4-6 RPG books full of info or even go in some good restaurant.

Of course if someone wants to go back to the true gaming again and publishes some non collectible gaming cards I would be glad to reconsidere the matter...

JamalloKreen, your post is interesting and goes exactly to the point. For my part I stopped playing the D20 with AD&D 2nd when I understood that I would need xillions of xp to just cast some pleasant spells.

Since then I don't even know the difference between DD3.0 and DD3.5.

In fact I believe I would prefer a Conan video game like the Baldur's Gate saga (with a mixture of hackNslash and quests).

Yeah, a non-collectible Conan card game would be sweet. At least you don't lose the game just because your opponent spent more cash on rares.

Myrmidon said:
What we need is for Mongoose to do a Sergio Aragones' Groo inspired Conan Card Game. I'd buy that. Or perhaps Groo vs. Conan: The Apocalypse.

Well, there is 'Groo: The Game'.
Lucky if you can find a copy now, though. It came out about 8 or 9 years ago.
It was non-collectible too!, One basic set of about 60 cards and a single expansion of about 55 cards. No more. Ever.

And it is a very good game.

Ralph

Well, there is 'Groo: The Game'.
Lucky if you can find a copy now, though. It came out about 8 or 9 years ago.

Yep, that's what I was alluding to. I love that game but sadly I don't own a copy. I suppose that's what ebay is for.

Presumably you'll also be aware of the forthcoming Groo vs Conan comic(s) then.
I can't wait for that, personally.
Mark Evanier had always said that he'd never do a Groo cross-over because the outcome would be inevitable - Groo meets <character>. Groo kills <character>. The end.
Well. Watch Dark Horse later this year.

Ralph

Watch Dark Horse later this year.

Woah, hold the phone! You can't be serious. Where'd you get this info?!?!

I've wondered what Aragones and Evanier have been up to with Groo lately. Ever since the last TPB and the PVC figs, mums been the word.

Though it'll be highly ridiculous, I'd buy it! :D

Through the Groo mailing list.
Sign on at www.groo.com, and prepare for insanity.

There is a run of 12 stand-alone issues coming towards the end of the year.

Mark Evanier regularly posts to keep us all informed. :D

Ralph

I plan on checking out the game when it's released. Most likely I pick up a couple of starter decks and see how well it plays. If it plays well I'll pick up more as they are released and I can find players. If it sucks, and/or, I can't find anyone to play, I'll just laminate the cards and use them as bookmarkers.

Mythos said:
I plan on checking out the game when it's released. Most likely I pick up a couple of starter decks and see how well it plays. If it plays well I'll pick up more as they are released and I can find players. If it sucks, and/or, I can't find anyone to play, I'll just laminate the cards and use them as bookmarkers.
There is a chance then that your bookmarker will be more expensive than all the books you'll read. :lol:

I never got into the whole Magic thing. Too much to take I guess, plus I'm not a millionaire.

I used to collect the original Star Wars CCG from Decipher, and I thought that was a great game. Unfortunately now I have all these cards and no one to play or even trade with. Oh well, thems the brakes.

I had started to collect and play the new SW TCG from WotC, but they're releasing new expansions too fast so I gave up and gave most of my cards away.

So to make a long story a little bit longer, I have no intention of picking up the new Conan CCG. I'm having enough trouble "collecting" the books as they come out, plus I'm still thinking some minis for Conan might make they're way upon my shelf.

SS

There is a run of 12 stand-alone issues coming towards the end of the year.

12 stand alone issues with the Conan Vs Groo being one of them, or is that a seperate beast entirely?

I heard about the CGI movie, but like you said, I ain't holding my breath.

For anyone interested, I have the Groo Card game (and it's great), but I've got an extra expansion pack still in the shrink if anyone wants to make an offer.

Back