Conan and Vincent Darlage

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Hi Vincent,
I recently saw on amazon.com that there were some titles to be released for next year (you appear on all of these):
- Arms and armors
- Faiths and fervour
and of course Stygia, but no info on Shem.

Could you please confirm these books?

of course:
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1905471157/103-0363367-9427862?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
and
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1905471300/103-0363367-9427862?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

Excepted Stygia, there is no new regional book scheduled for the time being. :cry:

The King said:
Excepted Stygia, there is no new regional book scheduled for the time being. :cry:

A regional book on CIMMERIA would be an obviously great next project for the 'Goose, providing plenty of data on the various tribes/clans of Cimmeria, terrain hazards, etc. as long as quotes/references distinguish between Howard and pastiche.

Yogah of Yag said:
as long as quotes/references distinguish between Howard and pastiche.

Why is this even an issue? I see so many people bring it up and I can never work out why!

Most people do not care or even know what is pastiche and what is not, they are quotes taken from Conan stories, nothing more or less than that. If you see one that is pastiche, then you already know it is, so why does it matter if it is labelled as such?

If the Conan books did not use pastiche, then there would have been about 4 sourcebooks in total and that is it. If the person using the game is a hardcore Conan fan who hates pastiche for some reason, just don't use the pastiche parts... There is no sense labelling each and every thing as to whether it is pastiche or not :?

The thing is Howard could write a full story in 30 pages while others can't begin with 250 pages.
Writing a short story isn't as easy: you have to choose carefully the words and Howard was a master at this task.
I don't condemn the pastiches but many books were labelled Conan and should have nothing to do with it.

The King said:
Hi Vincent,
I recently saw on amazon.com that there were some titles to be released for next year (you appear on all of these):
- Arms and armors
- Faiths and fervour
and of course Stygia, but no info on Shem.

Could you please confirm these books?

Confirmations: I have written Shem already. I have written Stygia already. I am almost done with Argos & Zingara. I have been assigned to write an equipment guide, but I haven't started it yet.

I have not officially been assigned to write Faith and Fervour yet, but have no reason at this point to think I won't be.

EDIT: I have officially been assigned Faith and Fervour.

Yogah of Yag said:
The King said:

A regional book on CIMMERIA would be an obviously great next project for the 'Goose, providing plenty of data on the various tribes/clans of Cimmeria, terrain hazards, etc. as long as quotes/references distinguish between Howard and pastiche.

I would be hesitant to write a Cimmeria sourcebook. Other than a poem and a few hints from Howard, I would have little to work from. I also think Cimmeria should remain mythical and unknown - a dark spot on the map where civilised people fear to tread. I have disliked all the pastiches taking place in that forboding land but I am not sure I can really do better - in the sense of writing it definitively enough to please most people.

Cimmeria is the sort of place that caused Conan to drink himself to sleep when he started thinking about it - not a pleasant place at all. I would hate to see it become just another place to go - complete with some nifty pastiche tribes and some environmental hazards. Cimmeria is something more than that, and unless I could figure out how to write about that "something", I would hesitate to write it at all.

VincentDarlage said:
Confirmations: I have written Shem already. I have written Stygia already. I am almost done with Argos & Zingara. I have been assigned to write an equipment guide, but I haven't started it yet.

I have not officially been assigned to write Faith and Fervour yet, but have no reason at this point to think I won't be.
GREAT. :D
I like especially that Mongoose decided to release regional books on kingdoms near to each other rather that say one in the west the other in the far East. It is far easier thus to developp a campaign.
Concerning the equipment guide though I what could be written in it more than is already available.
A book on religion and sect though would be nice and very helpful I believe.

Anyway thank you very much for your confirmation.

A book on Cimmeria would be hard indeed. How to describe such a small country able to defend itself against the giant kingdoms (Acheron then Aquilonia) without making demigod out of them.
I fairly imagine the kind of guy we found in Asterix. But I guess using Slaine and its Celtic background as a reference wouldn't be bad either because the 4 tribes stem from Atlantis and everyone knows that Cimmerians are ancient scions of this Island (and Kull before them).
Moreover there is great description of these tribes and their inherent will to fight whatever the odds is not unlike Cimmerian's behaviour.

The only weird thing with this is that Celts usually don't worship Crom but rather the earth goddess.

Vincent, Thank you for all you work. You have done a great job in the past and myself and my players are looking forward to all your future books!

CIMMERIAN SOURCEBOOK by HUDSON

A cold dreary place where no one laughs and drinks naught but water. They kill anyone who wanders by and adventurous types get out as fast as they can. THE END.

Hudson said:
CIMMERIAN SOURCEBOOK by HUDSON

A cold dreary place where no one laughs and drinks naught but water. They kill anyone who wanders by and adventurous types get out as fast as they can. THE END.

I like that! :)

The tangle of questions I (or any other author) would have to deal with in regards to Cimmeria would be impressive. One for example revolves around bows and arrows. Conan held them in contempt early in life, learning their use from the Hyrkanians. However, virtually all pastiche authors show the Cimmerians using them. Is Conan's tribe an exception? Or is his attitude true throughout all of Cimmeria? Or just part of Cimmeria? Maybe Conan himself, already established as a non-typical Cimmerian, formed his own early impression of bows and arrows that are at variance with the nation as a whole (how many of us have personal ideas or prejudices that are at variance with the culture around us?). Maybe they are used in hunting, but are deemed unmanly for warfare. Just that one issue is complex, and there are others.

The big question about anything Howard relates about Conan is this: Is his opinion indicitive of Cimmeria as a whole, or is it just Conan's opinion, a Cimmerian character described in the first story as being more Aesir in attitude than Cimmerian?

VincentDarlage said:

Shem and Stygia I can't wait for, two evocative regions with great potential for adventure.
Argos & Zingara was a surprise to me, hadn't heard anything about that. Sounds like a very good idea to combine the two into one sourcebook.
An equipment guide doesn't sound all that interesting to me, but maybe I'll be pleasently surprised (as I was with the classbook Hyborias Fiercest).
Faith and Fervour I think sounds like a great idea. Fanatic priests and corrupted cultists - yum!

BTW, a sourcebook on Cimmeria isn't on the top of my wish list either. I'd much rather see a book on Nordheim or Hyperborea.

I think it would be easier to produce a regional sourcebook on Nordheim, Cimmeria and Hyperborea all together. Though the cultures aren't exactly the same, they all live in small towns and practice raiding as a national sport.

VincentDarlage said:

yes christmas has come early :twisted: :twisted: 8) :lol:

toothill man said:
yes christmas has come early :twisted: :twisted: 8) :lol:

But neither Shem nor Stygia are scheduled until at least February, so I'd say Christmas is going to be late a few months :)

you know what I mean like slaine you always fear that the modules and stuff will disappear before its time but with vincent already having a lot of goodies in the pipeline and the other writers on the conan team also pumping out quality its a brilliant time to be a conan fan 8)

By the way Vincent, did you have enough space to include an adventure in the Shem and Stygian sourcebooks? There are still too few of them.

Back