Clement Sector Player's Guide Query

Hopeless

Mongoose
Well I was wondering if this is being discussed anywhere?

Tried my hand at creating a character and wanted to make sure I wasn't making any mistakes.

So used the normal characteristic rolls ending up with 8 A 8 8 8 6

Using the player's guide ended up with a character from the Hub specifically Viteges so gained Survival/Cold and Languages/French +1 (or should that be 0?)

Childhood events:
Age 4 became emotionally attached to a favourite stuffed animal toy looking at this being the last present the character received from her mother as her parents divorced when she was 6 so it emphasizes why she's so attached as she links it to a time when she was happiest.

Age 12 become active in youth sports gaining Athletics +0
Character was left in the care of her Great Aunt following her parents divorce at this point in her life she focuses on this as a means of stability.

Age 15 becomes involved in illegal activities narrowly avoiding being caught but gained Streetwise +1
Her Great Aunt died shortly after she was 12 and the resulting legal case as both her parents were off world and out of contact meant she should have been placed in the care of the person who assumed control of her Great Aunt's estate. She actually ended up in the care of an old friend of her Great Aunt whose literally a Fagan, unlike the court appointed Guardian who literally and figuratively loots her inheritance her actual Guardian tries to help her but she is dragged into his underworld schemes which she fortunately manages to steer clear enough to avoid being prosecuted.
She's still treated as guilty by association though.

Age 18 ironically despite her problematic life at home, she becomes more focused academically excelling that she succeeds in enrolling at College (+3 Education now rated at B)
She not only passes but does so with Honours (+1 Education for passing and another +1 for Honours so her Education is rated at D with a specific skill associated with her college studies rated at +2)

Now rolled a 43 on this table was thinking of ignoring this and just sticking with Mechanics +2 as her field of study, but I initially rolled off on this and it went the way of the Introductory Military Class which as stated allows access to any of the following at rank 0: Athletics (already got assume it stays at +0 and not increases to +1 because she has this already at +0?), Diplomat, Gun Combat, Leadership, Melee, Navigation, Recon, Stealth, Survival and Tactics.

Please note it actually says "or" before it comes to Tactics so should I assume only 2 can be selected?

Now I look above and think she enters college being interested in spaceships and naturally veers towards engineering, but being not socially upward she is more mechanics minded but her interest is noted by staff who are aware of her parentage (her father is a mercenary and mother an American Intelligence Analyst (estranged due to the divorce)), which would be how she gains admittance to that introductory military class.

Age 22: Fails to enrol in Graduate School

Being unable to proceed any further academically she now looks into and gains admittance into the Navy (don't have the Hub books so used the regular core rulebook (pocket edition!).

So far:

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 22
Viteges (Hub)
UPP: 8A88D6
Skills: Athletics +0, Diplomat +0, Gun Combat +0, Languages/French (native) +1, Leadership +0, Mechanics +2, Melee +0, Navigation +0, Recon +0, Stealth +0, Streetwise +1, Survival/Cold +1 and Tactics +0

Could you let me know if any of that was wrong?

Well barring the embellishments of course!

Your college skill roll was wrong. You pick ONE of the skills, not all of them. It isn't Survival or Tactics, it is OR for all of that list. Nadia should only have 1 Level 0 skill from that list.

That is how I read the rules.

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 22
Viteges (Hub)
Skills: Athletics +0, Languages/French (native) +1, Mechanics +2, Streetwise +1 and Survival/Cold +1

Right so the only skill gained should be the one she would have had as part of passing the honours in?

Thanks need to reread that bit again.

Hopeless said:
Using the player's guide ended up with a character from the Hub specifically Viteges so gained Survival/Cold and Languages/French +1 (or should that be 0?)

It should be Languages/French 1.

Hopeless said:
Now rolled a 43 on this table was thinking of ignoring this and just sticking with Mechanics +2 as her field of study, but I initially rolled off on this and it went the way of the Introductory Military Class which as stated allows access to any of the following at rank 0: Athletics (already got assume it stays at +0 and not increases to +1 because she has this already at +0?), Diplomat, Gun Combat, Leadership, Melee, Navigation, Recon, Stealth, Survival and Tactics.

Please note it actually says "or" before it comes to Tactics so should I assume only 2 can be selected?

RTT is correct. You only choose one. In addition, you are correct about Athletics. Since the event gives it at 0 and you already had it, you would gain nothing by taking it again.

Great character, BTW.

Could one of you double check this entry on page 35 of the player's guide as I think my pdf copy might be wrong!

You take an introductory military class and become involved in the Institution's Reserve Officer Training Corps.
You are given a choice to simply take the introductory class or you may join the full program.
If you take the introductory class, you may take any of the following skills at level 0: Athletics, Diplomat, Gun Combat, Leadership, Melee, Navigation, Recon, Social Science, Stealth, Survival or Tactics.
If you join the full program you may take any 2 of the following at Level 1: Athletics/Any, Diplomat, Gun Combat/Any except for Shotgun, Leadership, Melee (Unarmed Combat), Navigation, Recon, Social Science (History or Economics), Stealth, Survival/Any or Tactics/Any.

Now the previous comment said you get to select any one of the skills rated at Level 0 and yet the other specifically states you can select 2 at Level 1.

Is this because my copy needs an update say for example adding you may take any one of the following skills at level 0 or should the other part read you may take any 1 of the following at Level 1?

Hopeless said:
Could one of you double check this entry on page 35 of the player's guide as I think my pdf copy might be wrong!

You take an introductory military class and become involved in the Institution's Reserve Officer Training Corps.
You are given a choice to simply take the introductory class or you may join the full program.
If you take the introductory class, you may take any of the following skills at level 0: Athletics, Diplomat, Gun Combat, Leadership, Melee, Navigation, Recon, Social Science, Stealth, Survival or Tactics.
If you join the full program you may take any 2 of the following at Level 1: Athletics/Any, Diplomat, Gun Combat/Any except for Shotgun, Leadership, Melee (Unarmed Combat), Navigation, Recon, Social Science (History or Economics), Stealth, Survival/Any or Tactics/Any.

Now the previous comment said you get to select any one of the skills rated at Level 0 and yet the other specifically states you can select 2 at Level 1.

Is this because my copy needs an update say for example adding you may take any one of the following skills at level 0 or should the other part read you may take any 1 of the following at Level 1?

No mistake here.

If you simply take the introductory class, you only gain 1 of the listed skills at level 0. You may then join a career as you like when you leave university.

If you join the ROTC program, you gain 2 of the listed skills at level 1. After university, you will be joining the military.

The difference is that with the former you are just taking one class and with the latter you have joined a full ROTC program.

Does that help?

I just wanted to confirm that's what's in the current version of the Player's Guide as it wasn't clear what it actually meant.

I got wondering if the copy RTT has clarified that much better than the version I've been perusing.

PS: Is there a forum that's discussing Clement Sector specifically?

Hopeless said:
I just wanted to confirm that's what's in the current version of the Player's Guide as it wasn't clear what it actually meant.

I got wondering if the copy RTT has clarified that much better than the version I've been perusing.

PS: Is there a forum that's discussing Clement Sector specifically?

I'm glad you pointed it out. As Mongoose is creating a second edition, we are forced to do likewise. So we will be examining every place where we can improve. This may be one of those places.

If you're on Facebook, we have a dedicated Clement Sector forum. Lots of fans and all of the folks working with us. We welcome questions here, there and everywhere though.

Just checked. It would seem that two sentences were left off that event result. The final sentences in the event should be:

If you join the full ROTC program, your first career MUST be a military career such a national navy or a system defense force. You will begin the career as an officer at Rank 1.

This will be repaired in future updates.

Going to try and pick up the relevant supplements in a couple of weeks to iron this out!

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 22
Viteges (Hub) C563554-A Ni PBG 531, Sun(s) M8 V
Skills: Athletics 0, Languages/French 1, Mechanics 2, Streetwise 1

Childhood: Parents divorced when she was 6 leaving her emotionally attached to a stuffed toy her mother bought her back when she was 4 years old.
Left in the care of a paternal Great Aunt, her death when she was 12 left her devoted to youth sports in her efforts to recover from the loss.
With her Great Aunt’s estate drained away by a court appointed Guardian she was left in the care of a Fagan figure who at least tried to help her, but his illegal activities almost resulted in her being jailed fortunately her focus on school work paid off as by age 18 she was enrolled in Undergraduate College where she was able to develop her interests in mechanical engineering.
This led to an introductory military course that upon her failure to enrol in Graduate School led to her joining the Naval Academy at age 22.

Naval Career:
1st Tour: Managed to gain her commission and promotion to Ensign but not without some concerns raised after her first relationship backfired when it became clear her boyfriend was unofficially engaged.
She managed to endure the derision over the situation which wasn't of her making but it effected her personal life badly causing her to become somewhat of a workaholic.

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 26
UPP: 8A89D7
Skills: Athletics 0, Gun Combat 0, Gunner 0, Languages/French 1, Mechanics 3, Melee/Blade 1, Pilot 0, Streetwise 1, Vacc Suit 0, Zero G 0

2nd Tour: Following the foiling of a notorious smuggling ring she was promoted to Sub lieutenant however it was during this tour that she cemented her rivalry with her ex-boyfriend's fiancé and newly married wife who missed this event as she was on her honeymoon and thereby missed out on what she thought was her due accolades.

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 30
UPP: 9A89D7
Skills: Athletics 0, Gun Combat 0, Gunner 0, Languages/French 1, Leadership 1, Mechanics 3, Melee/Blade 1, Pilot/Spacecraft 1, Streetwise 1, Vacc Suit 0, Zero G 0

3rd Tour: Participated in an advanced training program focusing on her new role aboard ship earning her promotion to Lieutenant near the end of this tour.

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 34
UPP: 9A89D8
Skills: Athletics 0, Gun Combat 0, Gunner 0, Languages/French 1, Leadership 1, Mechanics 3, Melee/Blade 1, Pilot/Spacecraft 1, Sensors 2, Streetwise 1, Vacc Suit 0, Zero G 0

4th Tour: this time her tour was rather more dangerous resulting in a notable military engagement earning her promotion to Commander, but her promotion came at a cost as she was mustered out somewhat abruptly at the end of her tour leaving her feeling a little bitter that she was left high and dry for no obvious reason.

Niadem Nadia Stuart
Age 38
UPP: 9A8BD8
Skills: Admin 1, Athletics 0, Engineer/Power 1, Gun Combat 0, Gunner 0, Languages/French 1, Leadership 1, Mechanics 4, Melee/Blade 1, Pilot/Spacecraft 1, Sensors 2, Streetwise 1, Tactics/Naval 1, Vacc Suit 0, Zero G 0

Mustered Out Benefits: 5,000 Cr, TAS Membership, 20,000Cr, Weapon, +1 Intelligence, 50,000Cr, +1 Intelligence, 2 Ship Shares.

Is there TAS membership in the Clement Sector?

So going by that 11 year gap her tour that foiled a smuggling ring involved the early merging of the remaining navies into the Hub Federation.
Subsequently assigned on an accelerated training course as they began updating the systems, technologies and personnel to accommodate the changes which eventually led to those notable military engagements in her last tour.
Still working on the kinks and changes needed, but was thinking she was mustered out because she was deemed a potential security risk as her mother is American and father a notorious Mercenary both of whom may need further fleshing out along with her rival and her husband.
Then there's her brush with the underworld, maybe she was mustered out for other potential uses but that's enough about Star Trek Renegades for tonight!
Back to the reading then!

And thanks for the tip about the Career Companion and the Hub Federation Navy!

Finally taken a look now figure I'd need to pick up the Hub Sector sourcebooks but for now...

Niadem Nadia Stuart
UPP: 9 A 8 B D 6
Skills:
Admin 2, Athletics 2, Engineer/Power 1, Gunner/Turrets 1, Gun Combat/Pistol 1, Languages/French 1, Leadership 1, Mechanics 4, Pilot/Spacecraft 1, Streetwise 1, Survival/Cold 1, Tactics/Naval 1, Vacc Suit 0 and Zero-G 0.
Benefits:
Pistol, Contact (a former crew member she helped out of a bad situation resembling something she had experienced herself), 16,000, +2 Intelligence and 2 Ship Shares.
Notes:
Enemy/

I know, I know you’re all probably getting a bit tired of me posting these, but I really need to make sure I’m not messing this up!

So Niadem Nadia Stuart, Nia to her friends and colleagues was born on Viteges to parents who divorced when she was 6 years old.

Until I can get hold of the Hub sourcebooks (should be tomorrow hopefully!) I’m going to assume the stuffed toy her mother brought back to her when she was 4 is a Stuffed Tree Cat toy (ala the Honorverse, well until I find out what specific animals are present on Viteges why not go for something interesting?! :twisted: ).

Left in her Great Aunt’s care, her relative’s death when she was 12 and the subsequent mess done by the Court left her in the care of a friend of her Great aunt’s whose criminal career almost resulted in Nia being jailed!

Focusing more on her academic career she prospered managing to not just enrol in college but graduate with honours albeit unable to go further. However during her college she attended an introductory military class that catching the eye of one of the tutors who helped her enrol in the Viteges System Navy.

Her first tour proved tempestuous as her past caught up with her, a fellow cadet accused her of fraternising with a superior officer whilst aboard ship. She was eventually cleared of the charges, but she later learned that whilst she was innocent her would be first boyfriend wasn’t.

Her second tour went much better her as news of the Conduit Collapse left everyone wondering what was going to happen next.

By the end of this tour they began to transfer selected units into the Hub Federation which continued into the third tour, she even briefly assumed command of a frigate as part of the gradual changes. She even managed to exorcise some of her past helping a new crewmember to escape the clutches of a smuggling ring trying to take advantage of the resulting chaos.

By the end of her third tour she was once again reassigned from engineering to a freighter’s bridge learning how to pilot it even as she got to enjoy figuring out the freighter’s little kinks as she kept it fully repaired and operational.

It was somewhat of a shock when she was mustered out, being somewhat of an introvert who was happy with just something to fix. Now bereft of her safety blanket for the first time in 16 years she was left wondering what to do.

Benefits:
Her pistol was a present given to her on her first promotion, the 16,000 is her savings, the +2 Intelligence developed through her career her contact is the crewman she helped during the transition from the System Navy into the Hub Federation and the 2 ship shares represent her ownership of the freighter she spent most of her last tour aboard due to pretty much the same reason she still keeps her stuffed toy as it represents a time when she was happy.

Still need to work out the final rank which I think is Lieutenant Commander under Royal Navy, don’t have the book handy to check the german version.

Finally is Languages/French 1 treated as just French or are you allowed to rule that she can speak and read both English and German at Languages 0 by virtue of having spent the better part of the last 12 years working with them?

I know it says about some kind of handcomp, but I figure it make sense that if they’ve been working alongside them they’d be able to speak or read those languages albeit heavily accented so would that work?

Hopeless said:
Still need to work out the final rank which I think is Lieutenant Commander under Royal Navy, don’t have the book handy to check the german version.

Korvettenkapitän :)

Some majority ex RN manned ships would still use the RN ranks as habit, though the official rank is German.

Finally is Languages/French 1 treated as just French or are you allowed to rule that she can speak and read both English and German at Languages 0 by virtue of having spent the better part of the last 12 years working with them?

I know it says about some kind of handcomp, but I figure it make sense that if they’ve been working alongside them they’d be able to speak or read those languages albeit heavily accented so would that work?

Understanding German in written and conversational form (level 0) is a mandatory requirement at the Hub Federation Naval Academy and Bazala Island. For those who have not passed through those two institutions and have transferred across, mindcomps would provide the language at level 0. All HFN ships have mindcomp (implant) triggered translation and dual language signage.

With twelve years in the HFN though, I (if I was referee) would allow the ability to use German at level 0. You can speak it well enough and understand it, but you struggle at times.

French is French :)

What ships would most likely be used in the French System Navy?

Still got to take a look at what that freighter might be, at present I'm wondering if an Atlas would make a good starting freighter or whether something else would be a better choice!

Still wondering how people would react to a ship named Nimitz with a painted Tree Cat on its hull! :)

Hopeless said:
What ships would most likely be used in the French System Navy?

Still got to take a look at what that freighter might be, at present I'm wondering if an Atlas would make a good starting freighter or whether something else would be a better choice!

Still wondering how people would react to a ship named Nimitz with a painted Tree Cat on its hull! :)

Stay tuned. We'll be covering that soon. Indeed, would have been sooner but the change to 2e forced some changes in our release schedule.

I'd say the Atlas would make a great one for that purpose.

LOL. Just speaking for myself, I would love it. LOL.

Niadem Nadia Stuarts description of Viteges:

“It’s freaking cold and unless you’re interesting in transporting minerals, mining or winter holidays that’s pretty much everything on Viteges oh and remember to wear gloves especially colourful ones.
Why?
Its a local custom, did I mention we ALL get to carry handguns down there?
I said Handguns not Rifles oh and make sure to carry a bit extra cash if you do decide to take a gun along they tend to charge visitors for that right, did I mention I'm from here?
Why do I tend to stay aboard ship or inside the spaceport?
I'm sure I told you its freaking cold didn't I?"

Some questions:
Been reading the information on Viteges and realised there's a lot more going on than its mentioned.

Do you have a problem if I turn the Caxtonites into a sort of very evil Assassin Creed mercenaries or is that going beyond their depicted nature?

Need to reread the Hub sourcebooks as whilst I've been typing (and then retyping) I've come to the realisation there's an awful lot here I really need to read properly before figuring out how this could be handled!

Viteges C563554-A Ni

Got me thinking, it literally is a winter wonderland isn't it?
Unlike Hub and Reusche I think I got that name right this place has otherwise fairly okay weather am a bit wondering how so many worlds ended up without moons or natural satellites of their own?

The important detail is that barring one detail this could pass for the pilot episode of Dark Matter where they eventually come to the aid of a mining colony bring threatened by a corporation that wants their world to house their workers whilst mining the asteroid belt.
Here its three asteroid belts and they have a base on a moon orbiting the single gas giant in the system.
Made me think that the System ships that joined the Hub Navy did so to help protect their home world from Paulsen Metals and in return Paulsen Metals was going to call in the Hub Navy anyway to seal their control of the system.
Makes an interesting dynamic if they were beaten to the punch doesn't it?

I'm also thinking those abandoned mining camps aren't so much abandoned but kept under wraps as Viteges needs some kind of revenue to keep them from simply being starved if Paulsen has that many ships to protect their interests wouldn't they?

I'm thinking some smuggling and other trading is also going on, but I really need to finish reading those sourcebooks first!

Back