Book 17 The Deathlord of Ixia - What's Changed?

I have a question. In book 18, sect 98 is referring to the Sommerswerd, that "Due to the increased power of your sword while upon the Plane of Darkness, you may add 4 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this fight."

Does it mean you should use this bonus in book 17 also? It would be useful especially against Tagazin and that Chaos stuff. (And probably also in books 16, 19 and 20 while on the Plane of Darkness?)

andethir said:
I have a question. In book 18, sect 98 is referring to the Sommerswerd, that "Due to the increased power of your sword while upon the Plane of Darkness, you may add 4 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this fight."

Does it mean you should use this bonus in book 17 also? It would be useful especially against Tagazin and that Chaos stuff. (And probably also in books 16, 19 and 20 while on the Plane of Darkness?)

I'd say that was a one-time bonus like when you get you ENDURANCE restored when the sun comes out in the Legacy of Vashna, it would be nice to get full EP every time the sun comes out!

Falling masts, etc. - we've already 'sorted' this - the Crystal Star Pendant as a Talisman of Good Fortune offering Protection on the Road Ahead et al allows a single re-roll per advednture. (August's already agreed with me on that one, hope he doesn't change his mind), so it isn't cheating because it could be worse.

Rerolling Stats - I'd say you can re-roll every at the start of each adventure and choose the new OR keep the old: "Well I've tried doing it differently but prefer the old way" (if the score is lower!). That's a reward for reading the books - eventually you will get a high CS/EP.

Only thing that REALLY bugs me is that Lone Wolf will always have a lower maximum CS & EP than New Order Grand Masters (unless he gets them with his new skills upon Kai Supreme Mastership). Lone Wolf starts as a Kai Grand Defender but the New Order Grand Master is Grand Master Senior, three ranks below - the three adventures providing +3CS +6EP experience bonuses altogether.

Sommerswerd is a bit of a headache. Without it, rerolling CS/EP at the start of Book13 makes sense, just keep Silver Helm, etc. far a small bonus. Rerolling CS/EP and having Sommerswerd makes it too easy. Oh dear.

Drake_NZ said:
Do you reckon we could get a signed affidavit from Joe on this point? :lol: Its funny but given how many hours I spend dying in the lair of Ixia I would actually pay money for that. Maybe we could do a kickstarter campaign to reprint book 13 with an amended introduction ! :mrgreen:

Heh, no. That's not going to happen. :)

What I can and will do for you is take the question directly to Joe and see what he says, then directly report his answer here. Fair enough?

-A

Taking a few questions directly to Joe would be really grand :) Kind of like the old lonewolf club magazines!

My 'burning' questions are:

- the rerolling point (discussed ad-nauseum above);

- is healing / curing / laumspur intended to cure any type of damage, or only 'physical' damage (and if only physical, does deliverance/advanced curing heal any type of damage?) This is very important in book 15 where you are reduced to 15 EP through starvation and exhaustion;

- in book 15 you have to use up all your alether/laumspur when you are buried by a cave-in. What about rendalim's elixir, tinctures of oxidine, adgana etc?

- Can you use rendalim's elixir and other healing potions at any time or only after combat? The descriptions vary for different types of items.

Would be most appreciative! Thanks

Just to echo Drake's questions really August - I have always made up my own rules about Laumspur, but would be nice to have the official reply.

I imagine LW in a combat running low on EP, ripping open his backpack and chugging down some Laumspur whilst evading the enemy. Of course if he got the wine instead of the Laumspur the effect may not be quite the same :lol:

Laumspur can be used anytime - the bit about 'after combat' was just there I think to help people learning the rules for the first time. Well that's what I think.

You could always treat Lone Wolf like a New Order Grand Master Bk13+.

Re-roll your stats as per GM rules:
CS = 25+Random Number.
EP = 30+Random Number.

HOWEVER, Curing only provides a MAXIMUM of 10EP healed through numbered sections without combat and you LOSE the Archmaster's Battleheal +20EP once every 100 days, the Deliverence +20EP every 20 Days works as normal once learnt.
Psi-surge offers no bonus, Mindblast gives +4CS Bonus.
Weaponskill and Weaponmastery provide no CS bonuses when armed, it could be argued that this is in part the new, higher Initial CS.
Keep all your equipment from Books 1-12 and use permitted Special Items - Sommerswerd, etc.
Huntmastery - no need to eat a Meal in the wild, your call as to whether you can hunt or not Bks 13+ without Grand Huntmastery. I always think Grand Huntmastery causes physical improvements so that Lone Wolf can get greater sustinence from food and therefore not need to eat as often - so ignoring being asked to eat a Meal in a situation where there is no food available implies the GM is still full or has eaten recently behind the scenes/is able to keep going long enough to get into a hunting situation without meriting penalty. I'd say Huntmastery doesn't work indoors but does work in any natural setting, including wasteland & underground caves, etc. Grand Huntmastery of course works anywhere.

Yes it is possible for a lower EP score but then you could be considered out of practise, focusing on Monastery duties and getting older (even if it is only 1 year every 4!).

That seems pretty balanced, haven't playtested it - good excuse to!

N.B. Alternative as Old Order GM Lone Wolf - retain CS & EP from book 12 (Initial + Lore Circles). Curing +1EP/section without Combat (unlimited), Battleheal +20EP/100 days {if EP 6 or less}, Psi-surge +6CS -1EP/round {unless EP = 4}, Weaponmastery +4CS Any Weapon. Plus all permitted equipment too.

There is a cut and paste error in book 17. The 2nd paragraph on the page describing Kai Alchemy (with DAWN OF THE DRAGONS at the bottom) where it tells you that you can carry over skills to the next book refers to book 17 as 'the first in the grand master series' and that the next book is number 14.

Also, book 8 is missing the last line on the back cover, at least in the two copies I have.

Hellebore

Back