Black Hawk Down Scenario

Colonel

Mongoose
Black Hawk Down Scenario
Battlefield Evolutions (Black Hawk Down)
Rangers to First Down Black Hawk.
Rangers must move to downed Black Hawk. They will have to move 90” though the streets and have at least to4 men to win.
Use a 2+ cover to all figures in the game, as long as they are 1” from any structure. Unless they are in the street, then just a 1+. Note the city was in bad shape at the time smoke and debris everywhere. So the game board should have a lot of building on it.

Marine
Player use the standard US Marine Card with the only change is their kill is now a 7+. A chock of 10 men (their should be 12, two were not there, the Saw gunners) you can brake them into two units of 5 each. Their starting position is 4” from the end of the game board.

Somalia Militia
Player has some of the worst troops at that time, most were just a man and a gun. To show this in the game their card would be.
AK- Range 15” D6 / RPG Range 15” D10
Size 1 / Move 6” / Close Combat D6 / Target 3+ / Armor 0 / Kill 5+
Use the stats from the MEA Infantry Squad card for the RPG.

For the trucks used, just use the MEA Technical card.
Sense the truck is a 6+ armor save any target hit of 5+ kills the man on the gun.

Deployment of the Militia troops.
There is no command or control for the Somalia Troops. They can be deployed in groups of two or more. A RPG gunner has to be deployed with another figure. You may have one figure left alone by combat. All troops are deployed 12” away from the Rangers and with no line of sight to that deployment. Then the Somalia player starts their actions.
At the start of each turn for the militia player will roll 2 D6 subtract any figures left over from the last turn from that dice roll (12 men max). For each point rolled on the dice you can buy men.
1 point for rifle men.
2 points for RPG gunners.

Then that player will roll 1 D6 for the truck deployment. You need a 5 or 6 to get the truck. You need to use one of your newly gotten militia figures to man the gun (if killed he can be replaces by any figure you have deployed or may be deploying). Trucks are deployed 24” away from and out of sight of the closes Ranger.

We play this one five times. It work good. The Ranges only made it two times. I hope you like it and have some fun with it.
This is a very workable game system.

Sounds fun, the only thing I query is the 90" that the USMC have to flee to get safe. Thats 7 and a half foot, with a move action 4" its going to take 8 turns minimum to get off the other side of the board, and thats if they double move, and move in reaction every turn bar 1 action when they can shoot.

cordas said:
Sounds fun, the only thing I query is the 90" that the USMC have to flee to get safe. Thats 7 and a half foot, with a move action 4" its going to take 8 turns minimum to get off the other side of the board, and thats if they double move, and move in reaction every turn bar 1 action when they can shoot.

Agreed... would be a very long game, especailly if one unit was holding back to cover the other's retreat!

The militia can show up in so many spots and very random, and if the militia player roll bad they do not get very many men to use up. (they die like bugs) Some time the Rangers get a turn if not two of just moving. We play it. Its very hard to do but it can be dun. When and if the militia get a truck, that gets you going. Make it 60” or 40” it does not matter. At 90” it should take 12 or 13 turns. We had some fun with it, my son said we show on it on the FORM.

Any pics would be muchly appreciated....

It does sound fun and I am sure we will have a shot at it, when you say 90" is that in a direct line from one board edge to the other, or do you still play on a 6x4 table and use impassable terrain and buildings to make the route longer?

when you say 90" is that in a direct line from one board edge to the other,
Yes,
do you still play on a 6x4 table
YES I did, I have my city on foam core, so I can just move the action with out disturbing the figures.
use impassable terrain and buildings to make the route longer?
NO. I did not think of that until you said it. I left them movement alone, because of all the thing you have to move around slowed it down without using impassable terrain.

Colonel said:
when you say 90" is that in a direct line from one board edge to the other,
Yes,
do you still play on a 6x4 table
YES I did, I have my city on foam core, so I can just move the action with out disturbing the figures.
use impassable terrain and buildings to make the route longer?
NO. I did not think of that until you said it. I left them movement alone, because of all the thing you have to move around slowed it down without using impassable terrain.

Looks like a real blast colonel. Have you thought about maybe making it into a campaign? Eg the run is the last mission and it starts with a raid on a building....

Gibbs said:
Looks like a real blast colonel. Have you thought about maybe making it into a campaign? Eg the run is the last mission and it starts with a raid on a building....

You would have to have the 1st (and the other) heli's getting shot down or it wouldn't work, but I could see you having at least half a dozen different linked missions as part of the campaign.

Nice one!

As for a campaign, you could have:

- The firefights outside the target building
- The run for Super 61
- The "Lost Convoy" picking its way to nowhere
- The evening siege around Super 61
- The "Mogadishu Mile" out

No real changing history, but you could simply try to get through with as few casualties as possible. Might make for a good co-op game if you let the Somalis be run by an umpire or by a simple "AI" game mechanic. For added tension, come up with some rules allowing troops to get wounded and force the player to drag them along with him.

Gibbs said:
It'd be a pretty good series and plus it could all be done on the same board!

Big board though :shock:

Here's a couple of good links for folks who'd like to do some research into the gaming opportunities:

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp

http://www.flagshipgames.com/mogadishu.htm
(I love that one)

It goes without saying that the book and movie are required materials as well :p

Back