Are Multiple Medic Checks Allowed?

bworth0001

Mongoose
Hello, MT2 forum... I am new to second edition rules and hoping to find some answers to a few questions ...

Are multiple medic checks permitted when applying first aid or surgery? Core Rules indicate that First Aid must be initiated within one minute of the injury (p. 78) and that a First Aid check lasts 1D minutes (p. 67) thus a second 1st Aid check, it seems, is not permissible. Surgery, however, appears to permit multiple skill checks. Seriously injured Travellers, who have sustained damage to three characteristics, must have one characteristic at full level before benefiting from medical care. This implies that the surgeon rolls medical checks until the Traveller either dies (through failed checks) or has one characteristic fully restored.

Sound right?

Thanks!

Ben

Errata: Latest pdf says First Aid takes 1D rounds = 6-36 seconds.

So, yes, multiple First Aid actions seems to be allowed. (But I would not allow it, since multiple rolls slows things down and removes the tension. One roll, move on.)

Yes, you can do multiple surgeries, until you are almost healed, minimising downtime.

Thanks, AnotherDilbert. I like the one check only rule for 1st aid.

A related question... once medical care begins, how long until a Traveller is fully healed? TNX!

Thanks, AnotherDilbert. I like the one check only rule for 1st aid.

A related question... once medical care begins, how long until a Traveller is fully healed? TNX!

If there's a factor change, the medic either notices something new or remembers a more effective treatment.

Or a better medical practitioner takes an interest.

bworth0001 said:
Hello, MT2 forum... I am new to second edition rules and hoping to find some answers to a few questions ...

Are multiple medic checks permitted when applying first aid or surgery? Core Rules indicate that First Aid must be initiated within one minute of the injury (p. 78) and that a First Aid check lasts 1D minutes (p. 67) thus a second 1st Aid check, it seems, is not permissible. Surgery, however, appears to permit multiple skill checks. Seriously injured Travellers, who have sustained damage to three characteristics, must have one characteristic at full level before benefiting from medical care. This implies that the surgeon rolls medical checks until the Traveller either dies (through failed checks) or has one characteristic fully restored.

Sound right?

Thanks!

Ben

Depends on the role-play, if any.

Surgeries in this case imply some pretty serious work being done on the person, so you probably can't just keep doing one after the other - their body can only take so much. Very high-tech medical equipment and/or medical drugs would lessen the impact, but it shouldn't be a case of 'sit there and roll Medic until they're new again'.

Don't forget to apply the effect result as damage.

Core Rulebook pg. 78
Note that failed Medic checks can
easily end up causing the patient more damage - we
recommend you see trained doctors only!

That player needing first aid may not want to risk another failed check. Then the likely move may be to inject the injured member with Fast Drug, until you can get them to a doctor.

This game does a really good job at offering opportunities for player drama, and a potential death spiral can lead to some interesting moments.

This is a Travellerism

Slow is Fast and Fast is Slow

When you administer a Fast drug to a character, the "Fast" is how the world is perceived by the character who is under the drug's effects. The opposite would be true with a Slow drug, the world seems to be going slower than it is for the drugged character.

edit: I should add that this happened during a game session where two characters were attempting to save a dying third character, and the RP crossed over into RL and back into RP...which was quit hilarious with the dying character so fearful ("You mind checking those rules again?????).

Back