Arcania of Legend: The Four Elemental Ways

DamonJynx

Cosmic Mongoose
Here's a sample for you:

• Example 1
    A mage of the Way of Burning Hearts with a POW of 14 and Sorcery (Burning Heart) skill of 78% confronts a small pack of three winter wolves. He has no offensive spells memorised from his Primary Way. He chooses to do damage with a raw elemental effect, shooting flaming bolts at the wolves from the torch he is holding. This is a Project Element effect with the following base parameters, taking into account the mages POW and Sorcery skill:

Base Cost: 3 Magic Points
    Range: 70 metres
    Target: 1 creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Damage: 4d4 points of fire damage to a random location
    Resist: Evade

Since he is facing three rather strong beasts he decides to increase the damage to 4d6 which costs an additional Magic Point, have it affect the other two creatures which costs a further two points, and be harder to avoid, making the wolves Evade test Difficult (-20%) costing another two points for a total cost of eight Magic Points. He holds them off with the torch, waving it to and fro for the entire round while he enacts the technique. On the casters initiative in the following round fire lancets shoot from the torch, and the three wolves must make Difficult Evade tests (-20%). If their Evade test is a critical they take no damage, if it is a normal success they take 4d6 damage (being cold creatures and associated with Water, they are susceptible to Fire and take double damage), if they fail the Evade test they suffer 8d6 points of fire damage and on a fumble they take 6d6+12 of damage.

Any idea when this will be available to buy?

What can I say... I bought the blood magic version and perfectly interested in any new additions! 8)

Very cool. Looking forward to the finished product!

The flavour is right too - Legend isn't a game where flashy elemental spells are commonplace.

Although I'd love to seewhat kind of elemental spells are possible with the Concert Casting rules from Blood Magic. How about a rain of fire or a ritual to summon a tsunami?

Prime_Evil said:
Although I'd love to see what kind of elemental spells are possible with the Concert Casting rules from Blood Magic. How about a rain of fire or a ritual to summon a tsunami?
Wait and see...

Hopeless said:
Any idea when this will be available to buy?

What can I say... I bought the blood magic version and perfectly interested in any new additions! 8)
I intend to have the finished manuscript to Matt Friday week, it will then need to be edited and laid out. So, hopefully it won't be too far away.

Interesting, but i feel there are too many damage stages based on whether the roll succeed or fails, would it not be easy with just 4d6/8d6. I cant think of any other magic or spell that creates such variable damages in Legend. Maybe on a fail 4d6 and catch fire, and only 8d6 on a fumble?

Old timer said:
Interesting, but i feel there are too many damage stages based on whether the roll succeed or fails, would it not be easy with just 4d6/8d6. I cant think of any other magic or spell that creates such variable damages in Legend. Maybe on a fail 4d6 and catch fire, and only 8d6 on a fumble?
Hi Old Timer,

I see where you're coming from, however the sample doesn't include the full text for how the technique works. For example, the 6d6+12 on a fumble is because a fumble also results in the target being subject to a specific Combat Manoeuvre dependant on the element used, which in the case of fire is Maximise Damage, otherwise the damage would be 8d6 + an appropriate CM.

Now, I need to get back to work!

Hi Guys and Gals,

Had some interruptions so I'm a little behind in my schedule. I'm attempting to get the book finished ASAP, hopefully by the end of this week.

DamonJynx said:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Had some interruptions so I'm a little behind in my schedule. I'm attempting to get the book finished ASAP, hopefully by the end of this week.

The beatings will continue until the manuscript is in ;)

As an aside, the title of the book implies that you are focusing on the four elements of the Western tradition (fire, earth, air, and water). Are you going to discuss alternative traditions at all - such as the five elements of Chinese Taoist philosophy (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_(Wu_Xing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_(Wu_Xing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_(Wu_Xing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(Wu_Xing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(Wu_Xing)

Not at present. The book is a conversion of Encyclopedia Arcane: Elementalism. Depending on page count and when I get the manuscript finished, I may look at some additional material.

Though I will definitely keep that in mind for a future supplement!

DamonJynx said:
Not at present. The book is a conversion of Encyclopedia Arcane: Elementalism. Depending on page count and when I get the manuscript finished, I may look at some additional material.

Though I will definitely keep that in mind for a future supplement!

No problems. The old Swordbearer RPG from Heritage did use the Chinese elements rather than the western ones, but it's the only game I can think of that did this. I believe that the PDF is still available from Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU) via Drivethrurpg / rpgnow.

I have used a variation of the Chinese elements in my games where I concentrate on Elemental Magic. I used the term "Life" instead of Wood, but I believe the idea was similar.

I've always thought that Chinese elementalism is an easy way to introduce a variant system of elemental magic into your setting. The good thing about it is that it 'feels' right and many people are vaguely familiar with it. For example, perhaps human cultures may use Western concepts, but the elvenfolk follow a philosophy closely modelled on Taoism - and Chinese elemental magic is a perfect fit...

(Ursula Le Guin uses Taoist concepts extensively through the early Earthsea novels, so you can certainly disguise the origins of the ideas that you are using simply by placing them in a non-Chinese context).

Back