Age of Treason: The Iron Companion now Available

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We have just posted The Iron Companion, the first supplement to Legend setting Age of Treason, on Drivethru. You can grab a copy here;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/103836/Age-of-Treason%3A-The-Iron-Companion

The printed version is due for a September release, but we hope to have a few copies ready next month in time for Gen Con. You can pre-order this and download a free preview at;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/legend/age-of-treason/the-iron-companion.html

The Iron Companion provides a comprehensive view of this famous city, including maps, floor plans, NPCs, cults, scenarios and rules for creating Artifice.

Also in this book are new spells, price lists, new rules for training, henchmen and hirelings, running a business and using Passion traits in the setting. Comprehensive Spirit Magic rules synthesise the Legend rules and the Setting rules into a single document, and statistics are provided for Elementals, including the bizarre Flesh Elemental, the Blemmye.

Congratulations Jonathan. A pity I couldn't find time to help with this. Maybe another time. This is an instant purchase for me.

Stainless said:
Congratulations Jonathan. A pity I couldn't find time to help with this. Maybe another time. This is an instant purchase for me.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Incidentally, if you did do an instant purchase you may have benefitted from a screw up with the price on the listing and got the PDF for 8 bucks...fixed now (it's a whole 14!)

Prime_Evil said:
Yoink!

And now I've got something to read this weekend :)

Please let me know your feedback when you have!

Prime_Evil said:
I'm loving Sorandib so far - it has a wonderful flavour.

Glad you are enjoying it. I've had a lot of fun there over the years. The Twilight' Assassins scenario has played well, investigative scenario with a good fight pre-title and another at the climax - I've run it with different antagonists too.

I'm amazed at how much you have managed to pack into the book. In addition to a neat sandbox city and a couple of scenarios, it extends a number of game systems in interesting but logical ways. Plus the new rules material makes perfect sense in the context of the setting.

Thanks Warlock and Prime_Evil, that's very encouraging feedback. I'm quite fond of Sorandib, which I hope comes through - it's the place where the gritty and realistic spin of the Age of Treason setting meets some of the more trad fantasy adventure tropes, and I think that lifts the setting with a sense of wonder and fun.

On sandbox stuff (spoiler alert) - it's not flagged in any of the sales blurb, but you will have seen there is also an extensive 'Dungeon' mapped out and described - but not populated. It's left for the GM to fill with a 'fixed' population if you want to as suits, but I leave it open mainly because it can equally be deserted (but not without hazards!) or there may be different folk using it as a hideout or base depending on what is going on above ground. It can be a feature that has to be traversed to get to somewhere else, or delved into in its own right, and you might visit several times once you know how.

Overall in addition to the fully detailed and statted scenarios there is a lot of stuff here (see The Treasonous Thoughts chapter) that, depending on your point of view, either provides a load of hooks to help a GM work up campaign arcs, plots and plans, or leaves the GM with a lot of work to do to bring that material into scenarios prepped for a play session. I'd be interested to know whether folk think the balance is right. In general I never feel there's enough stuff in the Legend market you can just pick up and play.

Is the original AoT book still available in dead-tree version? I've been looking for it on Mongoose's website but only get the Iron Companion.

I know it's available as a PDF, but frankly, I prefer 'real' books for reading, though PDF's are great reference tools.

There's apparently no remaining stock of the original AoT book, at least Mongoose doesn't have any. I have seen a copy recently in a couple of FLGs here in UK (Orcs Nest in central London had one last time I was in there), also one in Fanboy Three in Manchester, which I saw yesterday. But I'm guessing the shipping costs may be prohibitive (you are in Aus, right?). Ebay may help...?

I got my author copies of the dead tree version at the weekend. I'm very pleased with it - Steve's cover looks great, Will's layout matches and complements the original book, and there's more artwork from Mark Stacey joined by some lovely character sketches by Russ Nicholson (well known to the old school crowd). I was bowled over by Jared's maps again, particularly the regional map for Sorantia. So once more thanks to all those talented folk who helped pull it together and polish it up.

Overall the Iron Companion is the kind of game book I like to have around, with a mix of plots, adventures, npcs, resources and rules stuff, especially being someone who likes dipping. As a companion it can be a bit more unapologetically "gamey" then the core book that has a lot of setting up and explaining to do, and so ultimately it was fun to write. I hope those of you who buy into AoT like it to and have fun with it.

Back