Getting started, couple of questions...

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Judge Paul
Weasel

Getting started, couple of questions...

Postby Judge Paul » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:35 am

Hi all, I know the answers to these will be obvious so excuse my stoopidity in asking haha

1) Every force must be led by a hero yes? Ok, if I pick an ape gang or a street gang- they don't have heroes in their list so I have to use mercenaries to get my hero? Or am I reading this wrong?

which leads to...

2) Say I want to pick my starting force, me and my opponent agree on 500 points and I (for example) choose to use a justice dept. force how many of those points must be spent on that list before I start using points on mercenary units? And can I spend my points on units from 2 or more mercenary lists as long as they are available to my original force?

I'm sure the answers to these are in the hardback rulebook so if one of you kind people could point me to a page number that would be great :)
danty2001ad
Shrew

Re: Getting started, couple of questions...

Postby danty2001ad » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi,

I don't have my rulebook to hand, so no page numbers, sorry.

The answers, as far as I understand it, are:

1) If the list doesn't have a Hero, you need to upgrade a minion to a Hero in order to get your leader. Its in the rulebook after the lists, I think.

2) Mercenaries are used when you are making up a deficit in points. So, your opponent has 1200 points, you have 1000 points, you can use 200 points to buy mercs, which can come from any of the mercs list in your list.

Hope that helps.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Judge Paul
Weasel

Postby Judge Paul » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:18 am

Ah right I see thank you

So mercenaries don't get used in games unless there is that difference in points to make up? So if I had 1000 points of justice dept and my opponent had 1000 points street gang I would have to use all my justice dept and not, for example, 500pts justice and 500pts mercenaries?
danty2001ad
Shrew

Postby danty2001ad » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:22 am

As far as I know, by the letter of the rules, yes, mercs are used to "make up the numbers" where two forces are not of comparable size.

However, my group allow mercs as part of any game, although we tend to insist that at least half your force comes from the main list. It's a good way of having some really interesting forces on the table.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Judge Paul
Weasel

Postby Judge Paul » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 pm

That's what I was thinking- it would be really hard to enforce surely?

For example I could just buy a single judge miniature, turn up for a 1000 point game and then `have to` take 800 points of mercs to top my force up...

Of course I wouldn't do that in reality but unless there's a rule that says otherwise (as opposed to guidelines) then people could do this.
Rick
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:01 am

Judge Paul wrote:That's what I was thinking- it would be really hard to enforce surely?

For example I could just buy a single judge miniature, turn up for a 1000 point game and then `have to` take 800 points of mercs to top my force up...

Of course I wouldn't do that in reality but unless there's a rule that says otherwise (as opposed to guidelines) then people could do this.
For a one-off game, it isn't critical, but supposing you did only have 1 figure in your team/gang - a couple of lucky shots and any advances are gone. There is no rule that says you can't take just 1 figure, but there is good sense in a campaign to take several and spread the advances; after playing for a while you'll realise there is an optimum size where you'll get enough advances to make a difference, enough equipment to make them nasty and any more bought members may not add enough of an advantage to be worthwhile. It's finding that 'sweet spot' and keeping your gang/team in it which is the art of the game.
"Understanding is a 3-edged sword" bit like a toblerone, really.