Big announcement today?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
msprange
Site Admin

Re: Matt

Postby msprange » Mon May 23, 2011 1:02 pm

danbuter wrote: No more Races of Glorantha books, no more Glorantha books, etc. There are a TON of things still not covored for RQII, and never will be. Crazy as it sounds, when people jump into a game line strongly aligned with a setting, they expect the setting to get enough books to cover everything.
That is a fair comment. However, the core problem is that they didn't jump in - not nearly enough of them to make it sustainable.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon May 23, 2011 1:05 pm

danbuter wrote:Matt,
I understand why you did it. I just don't like it. :?
Again, that is a fair comment.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Mon May 23, 2011 1:13 pm

msprange wrote:We have ensured the game itself continues, with the only casualty being 2nd Age Glorantha - and while we sympathise, we also know that the number of people who will care about that can be counted on a depressingly small number of hands.
I'm afraid I have an opinion on whose fault that is. I know several Glorantha fans who bought some of the RQ1 line but gave up due to poor quality. I had hoped that the superior rules and production values in the RQ2 line would help, but I could not convince them to give it another try, and they told me to stay away from Mongoose. I think it's been worthwhile, I have just about enough material to run a couple of nice long campaigns, one in Pavis and one homebrew I'm thinking about, so although I'm gutted, I don't feel cheated.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Not really a big suprise - its been on the cards for several months at least.

Not being a fan of the Glorinthia setting not a major problem for me and we will continue with the excellent Clockwork campaign Greg is running in the same way as we carry on with B5 ACTA.

Quite interested to see how generic is generic in the future - what the basic book covers and does not cover. I do like some apsects of the core system but others need assitance in terms of rules cohereency and explanations for users (Combat Styles and charging come to mind) and be interesting to see if the republish gets that help. Magic is also somewhere I'd like to see it simplified into one core system with some options (like those in RQ, Clockwork and Elric). If it becomes a true tool box i'll be impressed :)

Wonder how the production values will evolve - up or down as apart from leather covers they are presently only a low average in terms of presentation.
Pendraig
Shrew

Postby Pendraig » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:
msprange wrote:
PhilHibbs wrote:This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.
Lets see I have felt that way about Stormbringer 3rd, 4th, Elric!, 6th edition.... Lucky for me I didn't by into tall the Traveller evolutions CT worked then and still works.
I feel the pain with you brother.
"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"
- Ernst Junger
Gamethyme
Weasel

Postby Gamethyme » Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.
Really? I've invested a similar amount into a game I can play until my books fall apart. And longer, since Wayfarer is the exact same rules (now with less Glorantha!).

As a latecomer to this RuneQuest thing, I actually don't mind the loss of Glorantha. I have some of the 2nd Age books, but the setting failed to grab me.

I look forward to seeing where they go from here ...

Eric
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Gamethyme wrote:
Really? I've invested a similar amount into a game I can play until my books fall apart. And longer, since Wayfarer is the exact same rules (now with less Glorantha!).

Eric
As I have clarified later, I mean the Second Age Glorantha dead end. You may see "Less Glorantha!" as a selling point, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

I fall into the category of people who enjoyed 3rd Age Glorantha for what it was, when it was...and while I bought most of the range 2nd Age didn't get me interested and I spent more money in the same period on buying OoP old Chaosium pubs to have a better preserved copy of my favourite gaming history relics sitting in the loft.

In the end my group followed the RQ system into new worlds, rather than followed Glorantha into new systems. SO I hope to continue writing for, and playing RQII in its new guise (whatever it is eventually called). There's huge appreciation of RQII out there at the moment, the vast majority of newcomers are coming for that, not for Glorantha - I hope that carries the new line forward as the system deserves.
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Mon May 23, 2011 2:31 pm

This doesn't really surprise me as it's been clear that G2A hasn't been selling which is a shame. On the other hand, I've enough material between MR1 and 2 to run Gt2A for as long as I want. I personally hope that the age continues to see some love whether as part of the Stafford Library or even in HQ. It would also be nice if there is any unfinished stuff in the pipeline to see it made available in some form up to the end of the year.

On the other hand I'm pleasantly surprised to see the rules system continue. I'm all for a smaller, generic rulebook. Hopefully Pete Nash will be overseeing it and helping develop it. Can't help thinking that the name Wayfarer sounds like someone took Path and Finder and found synonyms.

Anyway here's hoping that we see Hawkmoon and Ancient Greece rebadged for Wayfarer and that Mongoose don't spend all their time copy and pasting RQ out of the current books and republishing them in a new format.

So colour me disappointed over the loss of Gt2A but hopeful about the potential for the re-badging.
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Mon May 23, 2011 2:39 pm

I can sympathise with Mongoose over this and see that they probably have made the best decision from a business perspective.

I am not so affected as I never made the jump from MRQ1 to MRQ2 - when 2 was announced I had not really played any 1 and I didn't just want to re-buy the same books without any chance of playing in sight.

When Living Glorantha was announced I must admit I was tempted to buy MRQ2 just to be able to play - now I am glad I didn't!

Ironically I just bought Darra Happa Stirs and Blood of Orlanth with the hope of starting a G:tSA campaign soon. It just shows that without the licence the game can still live on!
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Mon May 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Actually I have a very important question!!!!!!!!

Will Mongoose be pulling the sale of Glorantha PDFs? If so when?

I must admit if you are I would be tempted to buy the MRQ1 Glorantha PDFs I missed. I may even be persuaded to buy the MRQ2 ones if Mongoose do a big end of line discount on the PDFs!! hint hint!

Ditto for the RuneQuest PDFs actually - I could be enticed to buy a load as a bundle if they were very cheap, say 75% off :)
Last edited by DigitalMage on Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlphaStrike
Banded Mongoose

Postby AlphaStrike » Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

So, no more Glorantha material...

But, RQ2 lives on and will continue to be supported by Mongoose?

I certainly hope so, because I think it's a great system. The Deus Vult campaign I'm playing at the moment is as much fun as I've had with a game in years. And I like the look of the Age of Treason book slated for the summer.
To the everlasting glory of the infantry...
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Deleriad wrote:Anyway here's hoping that we see Hawkmoon and Ancient Greece rebadged for Wayfarer and that Mongoose don't spend all their time copy and pasting RQ out of the current books and republishing them in a new format.
Yes. Wasn't it the brief reboot of B5 for Traveller rules where they just cut and pasted material and left loads of inappropriate old B5 material in?

Please, please, use this opportunity to tickle the system a bit more and make sure the editing/proofing maintains the standard the core rule book showed.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Stainless wrote:
Please, please, use this opportunity to tickle the system a bit more and make sure the editing/proofing maintains the standard the core rule book showed.
We will be doing _nothing_ to the core rules other than include errata. The transition will be all about proofing and layout, and nothing about rules fiddling. It _will_ be 100% compatible with the books around right now because, well, it will be the same rules!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Odhanan
Cub

Postby Odhanan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

So Matt, it seems to me like your announcement basically answers the question, but I just want to make it clear: this does not jeopardize the Elric of Melniboné game whatsoever at this point, does it?
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Mon May 23, 2011 3:57 pm

msprange wrote:
Stainless wrote:
We will be doing _nothing_ to the core rules other than include errata. The transition will be all about proofing and layout, and nothing about rules fiddling. It _will_ be 100% compatible with the books around right now because, well, it will be the same rules!
And please take into account the various needs for clarifications and examplifications discussed at this forum. Combat styles and charge for example.

Also, when will it be revealed what the new core line will consist of? I have planned on using some time this summer on writing a GM guide to RQ2 and hopefully get some input from some senior players from this forum. But I would hate to put a lot of effort into it, it a Wayfarer GM guide pops up mid winter.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Pendraig
Shrew

Postby Pendraig » Mon May 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Odhanan wrote:So Matt, it seems to me like your announcement basically answers the question, but I just want to make it clear: this does not jeopardize the Elric of Melniboné game whatsoever at this point, does it?
I wouldn't hold my breath....
"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"
- Ernst Junger
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Mon May 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Odhanan wrote:So Matt, it seems to me like your announcement basically answers the question, but I just want to make it clear: this does not jeopardize the Elric of Melniboné game whatsoever at this point, does it?
The licence won't be anything to do with Greg or Issaries Inc., I expect the continuation of the Elric line will be entirely dependent on that line's own performance.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm unsure whether I like this or not.

Since I wasn't much into Glorantha, I can't say I get upset by losing it. Although I was planning start up a campaign in it, I probably wont and will probably make my own Iron Age homebrew setting.
But Glorantha did one thing really well, provided a realistic niche for the monsters. From the descriptions you get in the books, when you kill a troll in a gloranthan adventurer, you kill the father of his troll children and the husband of his troll wife. So nothing is inherently evil. Which gives a fluid and realistic world.
So I hope they get this in the occasional monsters manual, that monsters that are just adversaries seem silly.

I have only one question, why Wayfarer? I know you said it was like traveller.
Is there some fascination with new roleplaying games and names for a guy who likes to travel? Like pathfinder? Not that I can think of a better name, though.
Meep Meep
Khamulcalle
Banded Mongoose

Postby Khamulcalle » Mon May 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Me too! I have bought almost every product + 10 products from MRQ1 :(
I feel really upset, cause I really loved the stuff you guys did! :(

/K :(