An MRQ2 Fanzine?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Ultor
Banded Mongoose

An MRQ2 Fanzine?

Postby Ultor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 am

I mentioned elsewhere, and have the go-ahead from Matt to develop, a Fanzine dedicated to MRQ2.

At this early stage, my immediate concern is to put together an editorial team. So if you're interested in helping to develop this product, please PM me. Being part of the editorial team would require one article or piece of art as a contribution per issue, or contribution in kind like copyediting or layout. As the initial release schedule I have in mind is quarterly, this should not be too big a commitment.

My model for the fanzine would be the excellent OSR fanzine Fight On!, but I'd suggest a rather more organized set of regular content. This is an example of ideas for the regular content:

Runerites: (in honor of the great White Dwarf column) New rules ideas or general concepts
The Coliseum: new monsters
Foes: Fully developed NPCs with tactics and motivations
Plunder: Magic items, unique or generic
Elder Secrets: New spells and magical abilities
Cults: Fully developed cults
Blood and Souls: Specific items for the Elric setting
God Willing: Specific items for the Deus Vult setting
Major Arcana: Specific items for the Wraith Recon setting
Njallsaga: Specific items for the Vikings setting
Cameos: A selection of quick adventure seeds or short adventures that can be used to drop in between or to complicate existing adventures
Quests: At least 4 adventures per issue

I still haven't ascertained whether this could include Glorantha, but I'll work on that.

I'd also like to do things for Clockwork and Chivalry but need to talk to Ken and Pete. I have ideas for an American setting, and for a French variant based on the classic RPG En Garde!

In any event, if I can get enough interest in this, I will go ahead and work out the business side of things. I imagine the first issue at least will be free to download to gain interest, but there will be costs and those will need to be addressed. Having said that, I'm an MBA so I should be able to deal with that.

The main thing however, is to assemble an editorial team. Please PM me or post here if you're interested.

The other thing we'll need is a title. Very grateful for ideas for that!

Finally, I understand some of you may be skeptical. I don't think this thread needs that. I can be skeptical enough about the realities of this to kill it if necessary. So positive contributions only, please!
Still waiting for Games Workshop's contribution to Questworld

The Rune Under Water: an occasional Runequest blog http://runeunderwater.blogspot.com/
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 am

Well you can count me in for what it is worth. I'm also fine with Age of Treason setting being included under an occasional Treasonous Thoughts column/section, but I'll personally have to focus on getting some support stuff for that into S&P first. Would be up for digging out any old material that could be of use, but in short term maybe I could be most help doing some copy editing or Runerites type stuff.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 am

I've also sent a pm regarding support.

As for a name, it should be something easily identified with runequest (and easily found), for people from all settings. RuneQuest2.com is a free domain, so it should perhaps be associated with that.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 am

I agree - nothing too obscure and certainly not Gloranthan. Also something that old timer RQ players not familiar with the new line will find if they are web trawling, even without a blackbelt in google fu.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:51 am

We should also include reviews of RQ products (and perhaps RQ blogs and online ressources).

- Dan

ThatGuy
Banded Mongoose

Postby ThatGuy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 am

Maybe...

RuneQuests

Simple and descriptive.

There are other simple deviations: The Missing Rune, The Undiscovered Rune, Rune Pages, etc. But for straight forward I think "RuneQuests" might be the best.

If you want to get cheeky you could invert the s to make it a 2, or some such non-sense. :)
Let's say, just for argument's sake, you're right...
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 am

Another option might be to treat it as a fanzine for all versions of RQ (and possibly BRP-based fantasy in general). I don't know how much interest there is previous editions of RQ but there will still be people who play them and the more energy you can tap with the zine, the better.

RQ (and BRP in general) is refreshingly free of edition warfare. It would be nice to be inclusive in the zine and pragmatically the greater the range of content the more likely you are to have submissions.

Personally I'm going to have no time to contribute in any meaningful way for the rest of this year but I'll certainly be reading it.

On the name front. Arku (or Arku2) appeals to me. As would "The Lethal Trollkin" (providing Trollkin as a name isn't an IP issue).
Fabian
Shrew

Postby Fabian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 pm

I posted to your blog, but I would definitely be interested, as both a reader and contributor.

I liked "Red Moon Rising", but that might be too Gloranthan.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Fabian wrote:I liked "Red Moon Rising", but that might be too Gloranthan.
There won't be a Red Moon in Glorantha for quite a long time in the MRQ Second Age setting.
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby danskmacabre » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:35 pm

If this is to Include MRQ2/Elric, I'd be willing to contribute as well.
I know next to nothing about Glorantha, so can't help out there I'm afraid.
Fabian
Shrew

Postby Fabian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:
There won't be a Red Moon in Glorantha for quite a long time in the MRQ Second Age setting.
I know, but the 3rd Age is more familiar to many. In any case, any hint that Glorantha was the main thrust of the 'zine could but some people off, even if it's not the case.
doomedpc
Stoat

Postby doomedpc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Sounds a most excellent idea to me!

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread and Walton
Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:43 pm

doomedpc wrote:Sounds a most excellent idea to me!

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread and Walton
Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
And me! :D
--
Ken Walton
Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
Clockwork & Chivalry RPG available from Cubicle 7
http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Fabian wrote:
PhilHibbs wrote:
I know, but the 3rd Age is more familiar to many. In any case, any hint that Glorantha was the main thrust of the 'zine could but some people off, even if it's not the case.
It is more familiar but it's fairly unlikely that rights to publish RQ 3rd age Gloranthan material would be granted beyond more than a reference or two. Anyway, Glorantha 3rd age is already well catered for and I think what RQII really needs to do is to show how versatile it is for other settings. I reckon a fanzine is a great way to do that.
Fabian
Shrew

Postby Fabian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes, exactly. I agree. That's why it shouldn't be called that. I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick from my post. Good start for me! :D
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 pm

An area for regular content could also be: "d20 conversions", where we bring spells, items, monsters or pointers to using d20 stuff in RQ.

- Dan

PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 pm

Fabian wrote:I know, but the 3rd Age is more familiar to many. In any case, any hint that Glorantha was the main thrust of the 'zine could but some people off, even if it's not the case.
I know what you mean, that's why I'm keen to get a bit of non-Gloranthan visibility on the wiki.
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 pm

What about 'The Rune Quester'. That's pretty simple and fairly self explanatory.

I reckon this is a great idea. I would certainly read it and would try to offer occasional submissions about eternal champion stuff.
Fabian
Shrew

Postby Fabian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 pm

That's nice, or "Rune Questor"
Akrasia
Weasel

Postby Akrasia » Mon May 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Perhaps Runes of Wonder for a title? 8)