It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RuneQuest SRD Luxury
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:18 pm 
Cub

I posted this in the Mongoose General Discussion forum, but maybe this is a better place for it.

Just to clarify-- if I want to create my own RPG game or setting for publication using MRQ's core mechanic (under the OGL), can I reference all the material in the Luxury SRD?

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:30 am 
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Yes.

If you include the OGL at the back then everything in the Luxury SRD is fair game.

You might be better using the standard SRDs, though, as they are in Word whereas the Luxury SRD is in PDF and Word files are easier to work with.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html

Online Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:40 pm 
Stoat

The Luxury SRD is not the official RuneQuest SRD. Even though it contains all the material, it is ordered in the same way as the RuneQuest Deluxe Book and slightly edited. As always, if you make changes there is the chance for error.

If you want to include stuff from the SRD into your book, you are generally on the safe side (in the sense that it's error-free) if you use the official SRD. If you want to make references to the rules (like see p. 77 in the Luxury SRD) that is certainly an option, even though it would probably make more sense to reference the MRQ Deluxe Book.

I did the Luxury SRD mainly for the players in the group who don't have the rules and as an easy to use (bookmarked) document if you don't have the books at hand. For everything else I would recommend the official books.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 pm 
Cub

Thanks for responding. RQ under the OGL seems almost too good to be true. I'm honestly surprised there haven't been as many variants published as with the d20 system.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 am 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

At present you have four variants, three official and one independent:

- RuneQuest (Mongoose, OGL)
- Elric (Mongoose, it is a slightly different ruleset, and not OGL IIRC)
- Basic Roleplaying (Chaosium, not OGL)
- OpenQuest (D101, OGL)

I think four is enough. Too many rulesets will create more confusion than advantages.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower
And 'Hawkmoon'...
and 'Lankhmar'...
and 'Stupor Mundi'...
and 'Slaine'.

OK, they are not total variants ('Hawkmoon' is), but they are very different.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:11 pm 
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Would not GORE count?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 pm 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Oh, yes. GORE is another. I never played that so I forgot it. So there are five variants.

Stupor Mundi has only two pages of rules variations, 90% of which are superseded by official errata and the GM Handbook, so it does not qualify as a variant, just as a setting. However, to be honest, the next two "episodes" in the series, Merrie England and Crusaders of the Amber Coast, will have a variant magic system which will be made into a SRD (only magic, not the entire game). So there will be a sixth variant soon. And maybe Slaine is a variation, too.

Pretty many for a system that was almost comatose in 2005.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm 
Cub

I've never looked at GORE or Openquest, and as far as I can tell Elric and Runequest are the same games in different settings. You can take what you like and throw away the rest, but that's not really my point. Even if RQ has a few variants under the OGL, d20 has Mutants and Masterminds, True20, d20 Advanced, d20 Modern, Gundam, Conan, Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons 4E, to name a few (the list goes on I'm sure) not to mention a mountain of supplements supporting its disparate games. It's vastly more popular, and I don't think it's because it's fundamentally a better system. It's solid, I'll give it that much.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

There are differences between Elric and plain vanilla RuneQuest. Small but there are.

I would not name Gundam D20 as a D20 variant as it is something that should not be distributed. It is like BRP Middle Earth: it exists but copyright holders could rule its removal from public domain at any moment.

As for the number of variants, the problem is that there are way more people playing d20 than BRP and its derivatives. Hence the higher number of d20-based games. But I think the variant-per-player ratio is even higher for RuneQuest. And, as you can see, the number is growing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:31 pm 
Cub

I think d20's popularity has a great deal to do with promotion and its relationship to Dungeons & Dragons. Personally, the d100 systems are more suited for what I want in an RPG.

But I confess some disappointment with Chaosium's recent re-release of BRP. It's an amazingly elegant system but could use some improvement. Instead of taking the time to look at it thoroughly and make revisions, they essentially just reprinted a compilation of previously published material.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:19 am 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Jason told explicitly that there were revisions he would have liked to do (for example, counterattacks in combat and a Social Contest mechanics). But the goal for that book was to have BRP as one coherent corpus of rules, something that had been missing for 30-something years. It could have competed with GURPS all these years, and it did not just because there was no "Core rulebook" available. Now there is one, and it is a big step forward. And nothing prevents Chaosium doing a Third Edition in some years.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm 
Cub

I would be happily surprised if they came out with a well-treated revised edition of BRP. And I agree-- the system could have competed with GURPS long ago if it had been given the attention it deserved. But I used to play Call of Cthulhu at the Chaosium office when they were in Oakland, and the impression I got then was that they have little energy for anything other than Lovecraft's cosmicism. I'd like them to prove my pessimism wrong. They just don't seem to have the resources (yet). BRP is more driven by its fans than its publisher.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm 
Stoat

DirkD wrote:
I did the Luxury SRD mainly for the players in the group who don't have the rules and as an easy to use (bookmarked) document if you don't have the books at hand. For everything else I would recommend the official books.

I've missed something - where would I find the Luxury SRD?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 pm 
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Inspector Zero wrote:
DirkD wrote:

I've missed something - where would I find the Luxury SRD?

Why, ask Mr. Qwiki of course!

http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/images/a/ac/RuneQuestSRDLuxury.pdf

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:52 pm 
Stoat

Rurik wrote:

Great, thanks.

Offline Profile