PARANOIA is EXHAUSTING!!!! (Play session report)

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
ericphillips
Stoat

PARANOIA is EXHAUSTING!!!! (Play session report)

Postby ericphillips » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:48 am

So, I ran an introductory adventure for a hobby group. Six players, half knew the game (though not the new version) and half were noobs.

This was my intro adventure, to show a "typical" adventure, highlighting the briefing, mission, and debriefing without going off on a tangent. This is a setup for further adventures where the story will go off the rails more, part of conditioning the players.

I think the adventure is kinda fun, with a few twists. Plays in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I may write it up and post it, but for now I have a observation.

Compared to other games, PARANOIA is EXHAUSTING to run. I was on my feet, yelling mission alerts, having NPCs mess with players, dealing with their own attempts to get their secret society and service duties done. It was supposed to be classic, but the players made it kinda ZAP, ending up everyone died at least once (one guy three times).

After three hours I needed to collapse. It was like I ran a marathon or something. Or more like channeled Robin Williams on speed, jumping from this to that to character to event, making combat go fast and improvising to many many weird things the players say or do. I intended to keep the pacing faster than other games I run.

In the end it was a load of fun. Everyone seemed to enjoy stepping out from normal role-play where team killing is looked down on, and team bickering slows play. They were able to indulge in the anti-normal role play and they dug it.

The best part was the end: They get to the delivery point: an orange door. They had been given an orange pass chip and told that the chip would open the door and would grant them access to the orange area so they can make the delivery. The Team Leader puts the chip in the slot. It falls in, clicks and clanks inside the wall, and never comes back out. But the door opens.

So, most of the group looks at each other, realizing the authorization chip is gone, and they knew they were going to be screwed for walking in that room. Then this noob, a nice girl from our group who wanted to be the hero, says, "oh, can I deliver it!!" The team leader hands the box to her and says, "go ahead."

She walks in, they stay outside. They don't say anything, but the players pass an evil smile between each other. At this point it was almost like they were not playing the game, but living it.

The door shuts. The guy inside freaks out at a RED in the room, puts a force field around himself and calls IntSec. They arrive and gun her down.

So everyone walks to debriefing where her clone shows up. Best part was they never got a receipt for delivery!!!!!

So, next I hand out copies of a form to each to get their ratings of the mission, but I randomly stick a Termination Authorization Form in. He takes it, casually as the rest filling out their forms he fills out this form.

As you can imagine... someone got fried on his word. He was so proud of himself.

BTW: Paranoia has the most fun combat system of any game! I might take it and adapt it into a FATE-2 Alpha Squad Seven Game (roleplaying in the universe of Stephen Colbert's Tek Jansen).

Ah, the fun!!!!

Next month: Stealth Train!!!!
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am

That's why forms are a vital part of many PARANOIA missions - they give the Gamemaster a chance to sit down and relax.
CLBeilby
Cub

Re: PARANOIA is EXHAUSTING!!!! (Play session report)

Postby CLBeilby » Wed May 27, 2009 3:14 pm

ericphillips wrote:Then this noob, a nice girl from our group who wanted to be the hero, says, "oh, can I deliver it!!" The team leader hands the box to her and says, "go ahead."
I was both one of the players familiar with the game, and the husband of the player in question. I'd tried to warn her before the game about this sort of thing, (but not /TOO/ hard. :wink: )
So, next I hand out copies of a form to each to get their ratings of the mission, but I randomly stick a Termination Authorization Form in. He takes it, casually as the rest filling out their forms he fills out this form.

As you can imagine... someone got fried on his word. He was so proud of himself.
Yes I was, as a matter of fact.