Marvel Super Heroes Conan!

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Marvel Super Heroes Conan!

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:00 am

Since Conan has made a long time appearance as a Marvel character, I was thinking that perhaps with some tweaks the old Marvel Super Heroes game might be used for Hyborian Age campaigns. Sorcery can be handled via Powers, whereas the normal people (including all non-sorcerer characters) would be normal humans with appropriate Talents.
The system lends itself well (obviously) to the kind of heroic action expected in a Conan game.
Has anyone done anything in this respect? It might be quite fun!
--------------------------------------------------
Williams and Holland law:
"Everything can be demonstrated by statistical methods if you have enough data"
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm

The old 1984 Conan RPG from TSR was already using a color table in the mood of MSH's one. The rules are still available as a a free download here:

http://www.midcoast.com/~ricekrwc/zefrs/

The game had really some nice ideas but had a somewhat 'unfinished' feel.
I talk to planets, baby.
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Oh I know it, I have the original game. The MSH approach would be lighter and faster in approach (and probably more heroic, too)
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Somehow, Conan using a bright, colorful chart to determine fate dose not have a right feel to me! Spinning an arrow to get results like "Killed It!", "Robbed It", or "Raped It" sounds more like a Conan game then having to roll Burgundy or darker to hit. LOL

TSR also tried the same thing with 3rd edition Gamma World, but it did not work out all that well. It was too strange - even for Gamma World fans (which is odd, as we like things... a little strange! :twisted:).
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 pm

They also did a Indiana Jones RPG back then. Seems like TSR liked color charts a lot...
I talk to planets, baby.
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Malcadon wrote:Somehow, Conan using a bright, colorful chart to determine fate dose not have a right feel to me! Spinning an arrow to get results like "Killed It!", "Robbed It", or "Raped It" sounds more like a Conan game then having to roll Burgundy or darker to hit. LOL
You can always decorate it with skulls and naked girls :P
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Postby Vortigern » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:
Malcadon wrote:Somehow, Conan using a bright, colorful chart to determine fate dose not have a right feel to me! Spinning an arrow to get results like "Killed It!", "Robbed It", or "Raped It" sounds more like a Conan game then having to roll Burgundy or darker to hit. LOL
You can always decorate it with skulls and naked girls :P
Anything with sufficient quantities of those elements can mitigate a large ammount of other dross rather well.
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
DaveNC
Mongoose

Postby DaveNC » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:54 pm

I loved that old Marvel Super Heroes RPG! I remember there was a website where you could see all the old books, but i can't seem to find the site right now...
"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."
-REH, The Hour of the Dragon
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:38 pm

DaveNC wrote:I loved that old Marvel Super Heroes RPG! I remember there was a website where you could see all the old books, but i can't seem to find the site right now...
Bada bing, bada BOOM!!! http://www.marvelrpg.net/
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Great site. Marvel fans shouldn't miss it.
I talk to planets, baby.
Faraer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Faraer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Hervé wrote:The old 1984 Conan RPG from TSR was already using a color table in the mood of MSH's one. The rules are still available as a a free download here:

http://www.midcoast.com/~ricekrwc/zefrs/
Which has not just the original rules but a whole new simulacrum game based on them.
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 pm

The resolution chart was simply terrible!! For Marvel, it was fine and made sense. But TSR went crazy and added it to Gamma World (killed the game), Top Secret (killed the game), and Star Frontiers (killed the game). The original Conan game was actually pretty good but Heve hits on the nose. It definatly felt unfinished.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:11 pm

cbrunish wrote:The resolution chart was simply terrible!! For Marvel, it was fine and made sense. But TSR went crazy and added it to Gamma World (killed the game), Top Secret (killed the game), and Star Frontiers (killed the game).
Soooooooooooo true!
cbrunish wrote:The original Conan game was actually pretty good but Heve hits on the nose. It definatly felt unfinished.
I find some of my favorite games has an unfinished feel to them - if only to get you to work with it, to add your own personal touch to it, but I'm just ol'-skool that way!

By the way, this is a bit off-topic, but what is everyone's favorite Marvel characters? I'm just a little curious!
Sir Hackalot
Stoat

Postby Sir Hackalot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:09 am

The Hulk, loved the recent movie too.
"You can not escape me!" he roared. "Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell!"
The Frost Giant's Daughter
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:15 am

Either the Thing or Spiderman. Oh, and Ghost Rider!
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 am

Malcadon wrote:
cbrunish wrote:The resolution chart was simply terrible!! For Marvel, it was fine and made sense. But TSR went crazy and added it to Gamma World (killed the game), Top Secret (killed the game), and Star Frontiers (killed the game).
Soooooooooooo true!
cbrunish wrote:The original Conan game was actually pretty good but Heve hits on the nose. It definatly felt unfinished.
I find some of my favorite games has an unfinished feel to them - if only to get you to work with it, to add your own personal touch to it, but I'm just ol'-skool that way!

By the way, this is a bit off-topic, but what is everyone's favorite Marvel characters? I'm just a little curious!
The Conan 8)
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:58 am

I always liked Nightcrawler. He is a vary interesting charterer - a shy, yet outgoing; dark and demonic in appearance, sunny and devout in heart; and his nerdish interest of fantasy and swashbuckling adventures (Errol Flynn movies, ERB books, and such) makes him even more appealing to the ladies. I just like how Marvel breaths life into their charterers.

I also like (in no real order) Storm, Shadowcat, Wolverine, Doctor Strange, Benjamin J. Grimm, Warlock, Corsair of the Starjammer, and of course Conan!
Style
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Style » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Prof X, Arch Angel, Wolverine, geeze I don't know, but it's hard to go wrong with the X-Men. Magneto and Sabertooth are two of my favorite villains too.
Proud member of the Sandbox GMs' club:
Building Golden Bridges, one game at a time.
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 am

Victor von Doom, Kang-Immortus-Rama Tut, Namor, Karnak, Uatu, X51 (for some reason, I really don't know) and last but not least the Devil Dinosaur and THE CLOBBERING THING!!!!!!!!

The 2001 a space Odyssey cavemen were also very cool
Who dies first?
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:37 am

I just love every cosmic thing Jack Kirby ever drawn.

Dr Doom's the best villain of all times. After all, even Darth Vader was modelled after him.
I talk to planets, baby.