New Traveller Character Sheet

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
msprange
Site Admin

New Traveller Character Sheet

Postby msprange » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:04 am

Just to let you all know, we have posted a new design of Traveller character sheet. You can access it on the main Traveller page of the web site.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
omegar
Mongoose

Postby omegar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:56 am

intresting redesign. good use of space, and moving important information to the top (Armour values etc.).

However, I think i prefer the old one, but then again i am not a big fan of change. I know there is a lot of wasted space around the stats, but it made it easier to track the affects of damage.
You Know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then i thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?
-Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Ah, that's much easier on the eye. Thanks Matt.
Outtasight!
RedBeardSean
Stoat

Postby RedBeardSean » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Stylin'.
Scorpion
Cub

Re: New Traveller Character Sheet

Postby Scorpion » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm

msprange wrote:Just to let you all know, we have posted a new design of Traveller character sheet. You can access it on the main Traveller page of the web site.

I love the "look and feel" of this sheet. Love it. But I won't be using it, for two reasons:

(1). No place for additional Skills. Considering that every new book (Mercenary, etc.) has additional Skills, this is a potentially major complaint. I love sheets that have complete/near-complete Skill lists, but failing that, have plenty of space for the "write-in candidate".

(2). It's really, really useful, especially for new GMs and players (like me and mine) to have a sheet just for Terms and their Events/Mishaps. This secondary sheet can also have room for Contacts, Rivals, Enemies, and Allies, like some other sheets out there. This is a less-serious issue, as I can write up a second sheet that will contain all of this stuff.

Also, just as an idea for the future: maybe do some "theme" sheets with a different "look and feel"? An Imperial/Solomani sheet with one look, a Spinward Marches with a more blurry/rusty/gritty look, a Hiver sheet with Hiver script and tentacle-y borders, a Vargr sheet with claw marks on overlapping metal plates, etc.? I had a lot of fun back when I ran Coda Trek making Command/Operations/Sciences sheets, Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian sheets, etc.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Gah! That's awful! (Sorry Matt!)

All those ziggy-zaggy lines and the wonky boxes make it very hard (for me, personally) to read and use.

Sorry (again) but that one doesn't work for me.
Sylvre Phire
Mongoose

Postby Sylvre Phire » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:49 am

I too am in the "Doesn't work for me" camp. The design is too busy with regard to the border.

Not to steal your thunder, Matt, but my take on a new character sheet for Traveller can be found here: http://sylvrephire.multiply.com/journal ... Final_Word

Pax et bonum,

Dale
FailedSpotCheck
Banded Mongoose

Postby FailedSpotCheck » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:10 am

What's wrong with using a high-tech 3"x5" card??? :D

*tip-toes off to make a 3x5 character sheet...* :wink:
Roll! Reflex Save vs. Flying 55mm Countdown Die of Death!
Emryys
Mongoose

Postby Emryys » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:12 am

FailedSpotCheck wrote:What's wrong with using a high-tech 3"x5" card??? :D

5th post in This Thread... ;)
hogscape
Stoat

Postby hogscape » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:05 am

Yikes, I have to say, it's a bit freaky.

I think I need something a little less 'out there' for my games (pun intended).

Hey one thing that I've noticed many of the sheets have in common is that the weapon block lists ranges as: P, C, M, L etc.

This is not useful in play (for me), I find I'm more likely to say, 'the enemy is about 50 metres away' rather than 'he's at medium range'.

If I tell the players the range in abstract terms (medium) it's hard for them to get an angle on distance. If I tell them he's at 50m - they have to ask, is that medium or long range?

If ranges are to be listed on the sheet, I'd really like to see the range in metres - or even squares, rather than a letter code.

Help?
pyrrhic victory
Cub

Postby pyrrhic victory » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:28 pm

I like it, but would like blocks for the new skills from Mercenary & High Guard (if it has any).
FailedSpotCheck
Banded Mongoose

Postby FailedSpotCheck » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Emryys wrote:
FailedSpotCheck wrote:What's wrong with using a high-tech 3"x5" card??? :D

5th post in This Thread... ;)

Hmm. I failed to notice that thread! :D
:wink: Very nice!
Roll! Reflex Save vs. Flying 55mm Countdown Die of Death!
Cleon the Mad
Mongoose

Postby Cleon the Mad » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:40 am

I do like this sheet well enough, but like what many others have said, I'd like either the new skills with Mercenary and High Guard (if any) to be on a sheet, or at least some blank slots for inclusion of said skills.

Other then that, it's not a bad sheet for a single page. I still have a fair amount of the first one printed, but when I run out of those I may print up a few of these next.
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose

Postby Nickbergquist » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Well, I love this new character sheet......but then I like the stylish looking design. The back page is for all that other stuff.... :?
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012/06/index-of-tales-from-watchers-of-sullen.html
kafka
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kafka » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 pm

I agree it is an improvement on the older edition but it is not there yet. I like the skills list but it also does not have a back. However, the worst part is the same criticism that I have before...it is a PDF...it needs to be in Word for those of us who cannot draw and have handwriting like chicken scratch.
Mongoose_Will
Stoat

Postby Mongoose_Will » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am

Just to let you guys know,
I made the changes that you asked for (more slots for skills) and Matt should be uploading it at some point when he gets a minute, thanks for all the comments on the design :)
Tipsy
Weasel

Postby Tipsy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Heresy, I know... but is there any way I can grab a soft copy of the original sheet? I really kind of liked my players to have an easy time tracking how much the stats had degenerated.
Gee4orce
Banded Mongoose

Postby Gee4orce » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:12 pm

kafka wrote:I agree it is an improvement on the older edition but it is not there yet. I like the skills list but it also does not have a back. However, the worst part is the same criticism that I have before...it is a PDF...it needs to be in Word for those of us who cannot draw and have handwriting like chicken scratch.

Well, I heartily disagree with this sentiment: PDF is widespread and free to use, and retains its appearance and formatting no matter how you view it. Word - well - is none of those things :)
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Gee4orce wrote:
kafka wrote:I agree it is an improvement on the older edition but it is not there yet. I like the skills list but it also does not have a back. However, the worst part is the same criticism that I have before...it is a PDF...it needs to be in Word for those of us who cannot draw and have handwriting like chicken scratch.

Well, I heartily disagree with this sentiment: PDF is widespread and free to use, and retains its appearance and formatting no matter how you view it. Word - well - is none of those things :)

And PDF's can be made so you can enter stuff and even save the date.
Esie
Cub

Postby Esie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 am

hello''
Well, I love this new character sheet......but then I like the stylish looking design. The back page is for all that other stuff.... :)
Thanks...

cheers,..
how to deal with depression

Return to “Traveller”