It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Traveller Character Sheet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Just to let you all know, we have posted a new design of Traveller character sheet. You can access it on the main Traveller page of the web site.

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:56 am 
Mongoose

intresting redesign. good use of space, and moving important information to the top (Armour values etc.).

However, I think i prefer the old one, but then again i am not a big fan of change. I know there is a lot of wasted space around the stats, but it made it easier to track the affects of damage.

You Know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then i thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?
-Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:05 pm 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Ah, that's much easier on the eye. Thanks Matt.

I think it's your mind!

Frank Zappa

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Stoat

Stylin'.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Traveller Character Sheet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm 
Cub

msprange wrote:
Just to let you all know, we have posted a new design of Traveller character sheet. You can access it on the main Traveller page of the web site.

I love the "look and feel" of this sheet. Love it. But I won't be using it, for two reasons:

(1). No place for additional Skills. Considering that every new book (Mercenary, etc.) has additional Skills, this is a potentially major complaint. I love sheets that have complete/near-complete Skill lists, but failing that, have plenty of space for the "write-in candidate".

(2). It's really, really useful, especially for new GMs and players (like me and mine) to have a sheet just for Terms and their Events/Mishaps. This secondary sheet can also have room for Contacts, Rivals, Enemies, and Allies, like some other sheets out there. This is a less-serious issue, as I can write up a second sheet that will contain all of this stuff.

Also, just as an idea for the future: maybe do some "theme" sheets with a different "look and feel"? An Imperial/Solomani sheet with one look, a Spinward Marches with a more blurry/rusty/gritty look, a Hiver sheet with Hiver script and tentacle-y borders, a Vargr sheet with claw marks on overlapping metal plates, etc.? I had a lot of fun back when I ran Coda Trek making Command/Operations/Sciences sheets, Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian sheets, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 pm 
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Gah! That's awful! (Sorry Matt!)

All those ziggy-zaggy lines and the wonky boxes make it very hard (for me, personally) to read and use.

Sorry (again) but that one doesn't work for me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:49 am 
Stoat

I too am in the "Doesn't work for me" camp. The design is too busy with regard to the border.

Not to steal your thunder, Matt, but my take on a new character sheet for Traveller can be found here: http://sylvrephire.multiply.com/journal ... Final_Word

Pax et bonum,

Dale

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:10 am 
Banded Mongoose

What's wrong with using a high-tech 3"x5" card??? :D

*tip-toes off to make a 3x5 character sheet...* :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:12 am 
Mongoose

FailedSpotCheck wrote:

5th post in This Thread... ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:05 am 
Stoat

Yikes, I have to say, it's a bit freaky.

I think I need something a little less 'out there' for my games (pun intended).

Hey one thing that I've noticed many of the sheets have in common is that the weapon block lists ranges as: P, C, M, L etc.

This is not useful in play (for me), I find I'm more likely to say, 'the enemy is about 50 metres away' rather than 'he's at medium range'.

If I tell the players the range in abstract terms (medium) it's hard for them to get an angle on distance. If I tell them he's at 50m - they have to ask, is that medium or long range?

If ranges are to be listed on the sheet, I'd really like to see the range in metres - or even squares, rather than a letter code.

Help?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:28 pm 
Cub

I like it, but would like blocks for the new skills from Mercenary & High Guard (if it has any).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:46 pm 
Banded Mongoose

Emryys wrote:
FailedSpotCheck wrote:

5th post in This Thread... ;)

Hmm. I failed to notice that thread! :D
:wink: Very nice!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:40 am 
Mongoose

I do like this sheet well enough, but like what many others have said, I'd like either the new skills with Mercenary and High Guard (if any) to be on a sheet, or at least some blank slots for inclusion of said skills.

Other then that, it's not a bad sheet for a single page. I still have a fair amount of the first one printed, but when I run out of those I may print up a few of these next.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 pm 
Banded Mongoose

Well, I love this new character sheet......but then I like the stylish looking design. The back page is for all that other stuff.... :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 pm 
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

I agree it is an improvement on the older edition but it is not there yet. I like the skills list but it also does not have a back. However, the worst part is the same criticism that I have before...it is a PDF...it needs to be in Word for those of us who cannot draw and have handwriting like chicken scratch.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am 
Stoat

Just to let you guys know,
I made the changes that you asked for (more slots for skills) and Matt should be uploading it at some point when he gets a minute, thanks for all the comments on the design :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:51 pm 
Weasel

Heresy, I know... but is there any way I can grab a soft copy of the original sheet? I really kind of liked my players to have an easy time tracking how much the stats had degenerated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:12 pm 
Banded Mongoose

kafka wrote:
I agree it is an improvement on the older edition but it is not there yet. I like the skills list but it also does not have a back. However, the worst part is the same criticism that I have before...it is a PDF...it needs to be in Word for those of us who cannot draw and have handwriting like chicken scratch.

Well, I heartily disagree with this sentiment: PDF is widespread and free to use, and retains its appearance and formatting no matter how you view it. Word - well - is none of those things :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm 
Cosmic Mongoose

Gee4orce wrote:
kafka wrote:

Well, I heartily disagree with this sentiment: PDF is widespread and free to use, and retains its appearance and formatting no matter how you view it. Word - well - is none of those things :)

And PDF's can be made so you can enter stuff and even save the date.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 am 
Cub

hello''
Well, I love this new character sheet......but then I like the stylish looking design. The back page is for all that other stuff.... :)
Thanks...

cheers,..
how to deal with depression

Offline Profile