Character sheet query/request

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Balbinus
Shrew

Character sheet query/request

Postby Balbinus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a downloadable, ideally pdf, character sheet for MongTrav.

Thing is, I'd ideally like one that was fairly simple. I don't personally like having all the stat ranges on the sheet, I'd much rather just have the stat name and a box in which to insert what your number is and another to insert what bonus that represents.

Similarly, having all the skills on the sheet is too much for me, I'd rather just have spaces to write skills in.

I'm not knocking the current approach, it's simply not to my taste.

So, can anyone recommend a simpler and less cluttered sheet that I could use?

Thanks
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 pm

A new character sheet plus pregens, a GM screen-aid, and such can be found in the FILES section of the MGT-Aids Yahoo! group.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MGT-Aids/

<*> To subscribe to this group, send an email to: MGT-Aids-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Feel free to join, enjoy the files, and contribute anything you have.
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
RedBeardSean
Stoat

Postby RedBeardSean » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 pm

College-ruled paper? Okay, seriously, I haven't seen anything as simple as you want. I did meld Paladin's character sheet with the one from Nezeray so that it has the simplified stat block, but I kept the skills list to make things easier on my players. Sorry.

(back in the CT days, I typically used 3x5 cards...)

Postby Balbinus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks folks

The characters currently are on ruled paper as it happens, I started the game in Classic Trav and am switching to Mong. I was just looking for something a bit snazzier.

I'll check out the yahoogroup though, I didn't know about that.
Emryys
Mongoose

Postby Emryys » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 am

RedBeardSean wrote:(back in the CT days, I typically used 3x5 cards...)
3x5, huh...

Available at the MGT group :)
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:40 am

Here is the current version of my nice and simple Character Sheet.

www.thecourtjestersstudio.com/MgTrv_CS.pdf
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 am

Just type it out. Our group did!
Outtasight!
Balbinus
Shrew

Postby Balbinus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 am

The nice and simple does the trick, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks CJ.

TrippyHippy, my group wouldn't type up their own sheets, and I ain't doing it for them. Smacks too much of homework really, which is thankfully many years behind me. If I go that road, it's back to ruled paper as suggested above, old school and easier :-)
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Character sheet query/request

Postby Golan2072 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 am

Balbinus wrote:I don't personally like having all the stat ranges on the sheet, I'd much rather just have the stat name and a box in which to insert what your number is and another to insert what bonus that represents.
As far as I understand, the only reason to have stat ranges on your character sheet is to track wounds, as in Traveller wounds directly affect your stats and thus your stat DMs fluctuate a lot during a campaign. So if you and your players know the DMs of the various stat levels by heart, no need to include the tracking bars on the sheet.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Once I get up off my fat ass... The CS I have on the yahoogroup will be getting modified to include a "temp stat/modifier" section to the right of the current "stat/modifier" block. I've been a bit busy and that's kind-of been at the bottom of my to-do list.

CJ, if you're not on the MGT-Aids list, we'd love to have you and get your CS uploaded for people to use. I'd upload it myself but I prefer users to see who was responsible for the aid so they can be asked questions and receive suggestions.
Al B. [B-)

Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:18 pm

GamerDude wrote:CJ, if you're not on the MGT-Aids list, we'd love to have you and get your CS uploaded for people to use. I'd upload it myself but I prefer users to see who was responsible for the aid so they can be asked questions and receive suggestions.
Done and done. :wink:
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 am

Court Jester wrote:Here is the current version of my nice and simple Character Sheet.

www.thecourtjestersstudio.com/MgTrv_CS.pdf
Really nice. Thanks!!! :D
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:24 am

I just finished the updates to my MGT Character sheet and uploaded the improved PDF to the MGT-Aids elist. (see my signature block).
Al B. [B-)

AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:10 pm

GamerDude wrote:I just finished the updates to my MGT Character sheet and uploaded the improved PDF to the MGT-Aids elist. (see my signature block).
Nice sheet Gamerdude, but I noticed that you have Vilani listed under Skills with a lvl of 0 - was this intentional or a typo?
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:08 pm

AKAmra wrote:Nice sheet Gamerdude, but I noticed that you have Vilani listed under Skills with a lvl of 0 - was this intentional or a typo?
Thanks for the catch.

The sheet is designed in PowerPoint, and then 'printed' as a PDF using CutePDF. I use the PP version for my own chars and pregens, and had that in there as an example place-holder and forgot to remove it.

It's all better now.

Also, any comments and suggestions for improvements are welcome. The thinking behind this sheet is to put what's needed on the front and the supplemental stuff on the back. Mercenary added skills, making the CS in the main book ineffective, and since no character is going to be trained in every skill, why put all of them on the sheet? Career history is not something that comes into play nearly as much as gear and such so I moved it to the back.
Al B. [B-)

cheeplives
Cub

Postby cheeplives » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 pm

I have some character sheets, vehicle sheets, and starship sheets on my web site. I also have a complete Psionics character sheet with all of the psi powers listed with their effects.
They are all in PDF format, originally built in Excel (I can make the original Excel files available to those who want to edit them).
discreteinfinity.com -- my little corner of the interweb
Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon -- Available now from Troll Lord Games!
Tipsy
Weasel

Postby Tipsy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks Cheeplives. I've been looking for a solid ship sheet!