Announcing: The Open Playtest!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Se Chris
Site Admin

Announcing: The Open Playtest!

Postby Se Chris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:38 am

Okay, since the final version of Traveller is going to be an open system, we're going with an open playtest. What this means is that you go to the link at the bottom of this message, download the document, play around with it, then send some feedback to the address on the first page of the document (mongoosetravellerplaytest@gmail.com).

The current document covers everything you need to generate characters and get rolling on a planet-based game. More sections will be added as Gareth writes them.

The download is here:

Download Here
Last edited by Se Chris on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have reservations about reconciling a quantum mechanics thought experiment with Egyptian mythology."
- Dresden Codak
noobdelux
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby noobdelux » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:45 am

concider it Yoinked!
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 am

On first (very quick) scan, the only issue I picked up was the +3 bonus for high characteristics.

Firstly, there is a confusion on different tables between +3 bonuses at 14+ or 13+ Characteristics. Second, I think the bonus is too much at these low levels. A +3 bonus effectively means no penalties for unskilled task resolution, which I think is a bit off.

I'd be happier if the +3 bonus was only for Characteristics of 15+ instead. That is, rare.
Outtasight!
noobdelux
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby noobdelux » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:39 am

its probably just me but its kinda hard to print lol
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Got it :D :D :D
Order your print copy of the D66 Compendium 2 today.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 pm

noobdelux wrote:its probably just me but its kinda hard to print lol
It printed fine for me.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Actually, there are few things I'd like to comment on - on second scan - but unfortunately, work committments mean I can't really get into it till the weekend. :cry:
Outtasight!
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:19 pm

Lorcan Nagle wrote:It printed fine for me.
I printed the whole thing out, no problem at all.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Printing Issues

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Printed fine for me too.

Are you using a current version of Adobe Acrobat?
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Playtest Doc wrote:The final game will be largely open content, available as an SRD from the Mongoose website. This is not the final game. No open content here. You’ll have to wait until February for that.
emphasis mine. LOL cute.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:39 pm

I have printed it and will begin to read it over a few times and then post some comments and etc.

Penn
rkhigdon
Weasel

Postby rkhigdon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks for the open playtest document. I won't have time to study it until after work, but I have scanned through it.

I agree that the the +3 should be for characteristics 15+. I know that not many characters will even have a 14 but with the unskilled penalty being only a -3 I think that having the lower characteristic mods will ensure that most characters will be penalized for being unskilled.

The optional wealth mechanic seems pretty poor at this point in time. I understand that it may be just a placeholder right now, but it needs to be seriously tweaked if it's going to go in the core.

With an unskilled penalty of -3 Jack Of All Trades is too powerful (like it always has been) and needs to be toned down a bit. Now the frequency of the skill may be greatly reduced on the tables (I haven't had a chance to analyze that yet) but i know players will ALWAYS find a way to get it. Perhaps the modifier can reduce the unskilled penalty by 1 for each TWO levels of the JoaT skill. If that's too weak you might add the following; once per session the whole skill could be used to offset the unskilled penalty AND any difficulty penalties. This would still make the skill desirable and also reflects those moments where the Jack Of All trades really shows his innate genius.
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 pm

While the Equipment chapter's still being worked on, having a few values might be handy:
Jack - Armour 1
Mesh - Armour 2
Cloth - Armour 5
Vacc Suit - Armour 5
Combat Armour - 10-15ish
Battle Armour 12-18ish

Weapons
Body Pistol - Damage 4
Gauss Pistol - Damage 7, Auto 2
ACR - Damage 10, Auto 3
Assault Rifle - Damage 8, Auto 5
FGMP15- Damage 20
Grenades - damage 3d6
rkhigdon
Weasel

Postby rkhigdon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:17 pm

How about Recoil Values?
Eris
Weasel

Postby Eris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:While the Equipment chapter's still being worked on, having a few values might be handy:
Jack - Armour 1
Mesh - Armour 2
Cloth - Armour 5
Vacc Suit - Armour 5
Combat Armour - 10-15ish
Battle Armour 12-18ish

Weapons
Body Pistol - Damage 4
ACR - Damage 10, Auto 3
FGMP15- Damage 20
Grenades - damage 3d6
Thanks, I was going to ask for a few numbers so I could actually try out the combat chapter. :)
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:34 pm

rkhigdon wrote:How about Recoil Values?
0s for Gauss and Lasers.
1s for most pistols
2s for most rifles
3-4 for unusual stuff.
Eris
Weasel

Concerning Characteristics

Postby Eris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:35 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:On first (very quick) scan, the only issue I picked up was the +3 bonus for high characteristics.

Firstly, there is a confusion on different tables between +3 bonuses at 14+ or 13+ Characteristics. Second, I think the bonus is too much at these low levels. A +3 bonus effectively means no penalties for unskilled task resolution, which I think is a bit off.

I'd be happier if the +3 bonus was only for Characteristics of 15+ instead. That is, rare.
Firstly, I'd be happier with a formula that filled the table, rather than just the table. Secondly, I agree, the unskilled penalty is -3 DM then a characteristic +3 DM should be the rarest of the rare

Code: Select all

(Characteristic - 7)/3, rounded produces:

01 = -2
02 = -2
03 = -1
04 = -1
05 = -1
06 =  0
07 =  0
08 =  0
09 = +1
10 = +1
11 = +1
12 = +2
13 = +2
14 = +2
15 = +3
Personally, I think that looks pretty good, fills a table nicely, but lets us computer inclined folks program it into a game aid without having to embed a table. :)

Eris
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:
0s for Gauss and Lasers.
1s for most pistols
2s for most rifles
3-4 for unusual stuff.
Gauss weapons should have recoil though, pretty serious recoil in fact. At least comparable to pistol and rifle for the same type. Only lasers make sense as zero recoil, and then only if strictly an electrically powered laser, not if an explosively powered generator laser.
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.
rkhigdon
Weasel

Postby rkhigdon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:50 pm

far-trader wrote:
Mongoose Gar wrote:
Gauss weapons should have recoil though, pretty serious recoil in fact. At least comparable to pistol and rifle for the same type. Only lasers make sense as zero recoil, and then only if strictly an electrically powered laser, not if an explosively powered generator laser.
No. Gauss Rifles use a electromagnetic field to propel the round down the barrell. The process does not require compressed gas and the projectiles flight down the barrell is frictionless. So recoild would definitely be minimal to non-existent, at leat for single shot operation. I suppose a case could be made for some recoil due to the magazine feed mechanism for automatic fire, but certainly not excessive recoil.
Last edited by rkhigdon on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:50 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:While the Equipment chapter's still being worked on, having a few values might be handy:
Jack - Armour 1
Mesh - Armour 2
Cloth - Armour 5
Vacc Suit - Armour 5
Combat Armour - 10-15ish
Battle Armour 12-18ish

Weapons
Body Pistol - Damage 4
ACR - Damage 10, Auto 3
FGMP15- Damage 20
Grenades - damage 3d6
If it's not a pain, any values for lasers as they are mentioned in the recoil bit? And armor effect vs laser? That is, do lasers treat armor the same as other weapons? And is there still anti-laser armor (reflec and ablat)?

Oh, and melee weapon effects might be handy too. At least a Marine Cutlass ;)
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.