My Campaign Plan

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

My Campaign Plan

Postby Aholibamah » Fri May 11, 2007 2:30 pm

I'm hoping to get some feedback on what I've planned for my campaign so far, thanks in a fair part to advice I got from this forum.

1. The players form part of the retinue of a noble called Fabian, who is being sent as a trade envoy into Zamora. They are instructed to go ahead of his main body of followers to smooth the way for his arrival. Upon the advice of a friend they join a caravan on the northern border so as to have greater protection from bandits and Kezankian hillmen who have been raiding rather more of late. Somewhat haughty treatment by a border garrison tests their patience but diplomacy and shrewdness might yield them a grudging respect instead. (it will turn out that recent incursions by Brythunian hunters and various bandits from other lands has made the garrison suspicious of people who may only be posing as respectable folk)

2. Joining the caravan (kudos to Craig Tidwell's "Slaver's Caravan" adventure which I'm modifying) they find it consists of a dealer in rare woods, ivory and slaves named Hamadras, some drovers, a spice merchant named Baratses who is returning from a venture to the north, a Brythunian wool merchant and a few individual travellers including a Stygian scholar and a teller of tales named Hamid. Hamid is a roguish fellow whose tales may require a dosage of salt but who is a good source of rumors and possible adventures. Among the slave girls are one or two who may appeal to the pcs' sympathy and be a source of conflict when the Stygian wants to buy one. The caravan avoids the desert of Yondo, heading through Arenjun instead.

3. The Beggar's Feast in Arenjun. The pcs may get into trouble here or not but there are ample opportunities. While here Hamadras dumps off his load of slave girls and buys some more high quality ones for the Shadizar market. Pickpockets, drunks, gladiatorial matches and an escaped bear are encounted.

4. Bandit attack. First there are scouts, pretending to be a couple of shepherds looking for lost goats. Observation and shrewdness may gain warning of the bandit attack. Otherwise it is a surprise ambush.

5. Arrival in Shadizar. Here the pcs have to find a way to present themselves at the court and make arrangements for the arrival of Fabian. In order to cut a figure of importance he will need to have a good house in the wealthy district, to have the pcs themselves seem impressive and interesting, and have an audience with the King that goes well. However there are many supplicants and the pcs have to find a way to get ahead in the list.

Meanwhile they become targets of an evil scheme (Dark Dens of Iniquity) when a sinister noblewoman wants to use one of them in order to gain magical powers. Spoilers for Dark Dens of Iniquity (Shadizar):

I'm not sure that my pcs are going to be in some dive under the circumstances, so instead of the brothel at the beginning I'm going to have them cornered some evening in a slightly unsavoury street--they will be unfamiliar with the city and it will be easy enough to have them given wrong directions or something. An arrest in the streets will also give way to a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" style chase ideally. The adventure is only slightly linear--it is more about the goals of the NPCs than a series of events that happen absolutely precisely so I intend more or less to just provide a series of hooks and see what happens.

I am definitely adding the Stygian angle to the adventure as well--in fact I may have the Stygian who bought the slave girl as an agent of the Temple of Derketo involved.

5. Following this adventure, much depends on how well the players have handled thieves and thugs disguised as royal guards, corrupt royal guards and fights in the streets. If they come across as absolute rogues and barbarians then they may well find themselves forced to hide in the Desert and somehow confess their failure to Fabian. If they are truly amazing they may come out of it smelling like roses.

It is from this point that the campaign may branch out--either into a more rogue style campaign where they are persona non grata or else into a more intrigue and courtly style of campaign. However this is my beginning.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Re: My Campaign Plan

Postby Kyorou » Sat May 12, 2007 8:19 am

Aholibamah wrote:The players form part of the retinue of a noble called Fabian, who is being sent as a trade envoy into Zamora.
Just something I'd like to know : who's Fabian from and what is his agenda ?
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Postby Aholibamah » Sat May 12, 2007 8:58 am

Fabian is a Corinthian noble who partially seeks self advancement but is also a patriot. He is about 30 years old and is more of a courtier than a warrior but is also no fool, and certainly is capable of defending himself if need be.
DaveNC
Mongoose

Postby DaveNC » Sat May 12, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your campaign ideas. I always enjoy seeing what other people are doing out there. It like a good campaign so far, well thought out and good branching points at the end.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."
-REH, The Hour of the Dragon
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Sun May 13, 2007 2:50 pm

what's the stygian slave girl's cell phone number?
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Postby Aholibamah » Sun May 13, 2007 2:59 pm

The slave girl in question can best be reached at www.harlotofderketo.org.
(just joking obviously)