Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15035
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:17 am

Geir wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm

It's not grabbing that off the 'My Downloadable Products' link. no 2e
Give it another go now - the file name will not have the 2e on it.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:22 am

Seems to work now!
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:30 am

Looking good! A couple of lingering things:

P.13 “Women were pressured to take up what where considered traditional female roles.”

Take up what WERE (?)

P.19 ”The term ‘solider’”
The term soldier. (?)

P.109 Ordnance pods. Text says torpedoes take two spaces, should probably be three. Example loadouts mentions up to two torpedoes, not three. P.111 says three spaces per torpedo, which would agree with two per pod.

The Glenten and Ornen classes still have their standard docking systems tonnage way off.

Several ships have limited (or none at all) external cargo bay access.

P.161 HEAP ammo for the Palvelupistooli remains complete garbage...

P.165 the penetrator cannon needs blast for canister anmo.
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:00 pm

Oh, silly detail question...

The Ornen class strike destroyer is named Eagle in English, right?

I’m only asking because while Örnen means’ the eagle’ in Swedish an orne (definite singular form Ornen) is an old swedish word for ‘breeding pig’ and it’s always fun to know what’s what :)
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Ok, ok, one more... final entry for today, I’m gonna shut up soon I promise :)

So, feels like I’m familiar enough with the book now to be ready to write some form of review of the whole thing and stop poking at minor details...

And there’s really only one word fit to describe it... It’s a masterpiece, simple as that!

The Sword Worlds - both the people and the place - have been brought to life and in line with the rest is the setting in a most wonderful way!

I absolutely love the way that small quirks and details have been picked up and built upon from both ancient Norse and modern Scandinavian society! It’s the little things that sets them apart from others, shows that they are Swordies and not just a bunch of generic humans, and helps to “get” their mindset and life philosophy. On the surface they might even remind in some ways a bit about the Aslan, but reasoning and motivation differs greatly between them, as the book clearly shows.

Another highlight is the amazing artwork! Beautiful images sprinkled all over the book, showing us people, (occasionally Viking-inspired) architecture, vehicles and ships and bringing the setting to life in a glorious way!

Finally, a shoutout is warranted for the name-Finder/translator! Stellar job with the naming conventions, translations and general “feel” of everything name-related!

Final score can only be 5 tunnor mjöd (barrels of mead) out of 5 possible, amazing product!
Geir
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Geir » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:22 pm

MongooseMatt wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:17 am
Geir wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm

It's not grabbing that off the 'My Downloadable Products' link. no 2e
Give it another go now - the file name will not have the 2e on it.
Svein is Svein, on page 7 so it must have worked.
Thank you!
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Geir
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Geir » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Ok, ok, one more... final entry for today, I’m gonna shut up soon I promise :)

So, feels like I’m familiar enough with the book now to be ready to write some form of review of the whole thing and stop poking at minor details...

And there’s really only one word fit to describe it... It’s a masterpiece, simple as that!

The Sword Worlds - both the people and the place - have been brought to life and in line with the rest is the setting in a most wonderful way!

I absolutely love the way that small quirks and details have been picked up and built upon from both ancient Norse and modern Scandinavian society! It’s the little things that sets them apart from others, shows that they are Swordies and not just a bunch of generic humans, and helps to “get” their mindset and life philosophy. On the surface they might even remind in some ways a bit about the Aslan, but reasoning and motivation differs greatly between them, as the book clearly shows.

Another highlight is the amazing artwork! Beautiful images sprinkled all over the book, showing us people, (occasionally Viking-inspired) architecture, vehicles and ships and bringing the setting to life in a glorious way!

Finally, a shoutout is warranted for the name-Finder/translator! Stellar job with the naming conventions, translations and general “feel” of everything name-related!

Final score can only be 5 tunnor mjöd (barrels of mead) out of 5 possible, amazing product!
I laughed out loud at the Society section. Now, it's been four years since I've been back to Norway (with two exceptions everyone left in the family is either dead or not on speaking terms so I've got no place to stay) but it is definitely spot on.
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:39 pm

Haha yeah I know, right?! There were quite a few “hang on, are they writing about me here?” moments :)

Excellent job nailing the quirks, spot on indeed!
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Hang on... SCDS (standardized craft docking system) tonnage for Glenten and Ornen aren’t off... it’s just that they are written to include both the SCDS itself and the carried craft!

This combined with deck plans that seem to show SCDS as internal systems rather than the external ones in other designs suggests that SCDS can be used in lieu of regular docking space or as external docking clamps - impressive and flexible!

The tradeoff is of course the need for a larger hull, but on the other hand the carried craft are protected by said hull, very handy for warships!
User avatar
qstor
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:54 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby qstor » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 pm

My FLGS here in the US said they can't find the book for pre-order from their distributor? Has it "gone" out for print orders to the US?
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15035
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:00 pm

qstor wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 pm
My FLGS here in the US said they can't find the book for pre-order from their distributor? Has it "gone" out for print orders to the US?
Not yet, it is physically at print now. Distributors will likely see it in a month or two.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], paltrysum and 21 guests