A Rough Blueprint?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

A Rough Blueprint?

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:33 am

Hellow

A Friend of mine plans to do a 2nd edition Campaign were the main villain is the commander of A 222,000 Ton Super-Heavy Freighter that has been converted into A Super-Light Battleship, due to anti-aging Drugs has been a pirate forbmore then 400 years old, has discovered A Ancient Device that lets him make fool-proof Fake Currency and pays all his minions at least 17.3 times their normal wage

She/The GM does not have a clue what stats and skills to give her Villain, but things he should have been Navy for at least 8 terms and reached at least Rank 4 Officer/Rank 2 NCO, that his lowest stat DM should be -1 and that most should be at least +1 and that he should have a price of at least Cr 1,534,500,000 on his head. Please give hints, tips and advise on this and try to do me at least at least a very rough diagram for his ship
Spenser
Shrew

Re: A Rough Blueprint?

Postby Spenser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 am

So many places to jump in, here.

As a random starting point, I'd say she might be better served worrying less about what precisely the crew gets paid. You could say they get paid "a lot, much higher than average" and be done with it. Stories abound, no two people say the same thing. A precise number probably does not serve the story, and stat-ing out all of these details ( as I imagine is likely to happen ) will consume a great deal of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

This is a pretty good pattern to follow, in my own experience: stat only as absolutely necessary. Why do you need to know all the villain's stats? Will the campaign come down to him making or missing that Admin roll? Same thing with the exact layout of this super ship. I grant that Traveller has several mini-games contained within and that you've touched on a couple of these - character gen and ship design. But these mini-games are usually embraced by people who are more "crunch" oriented, meaning they like all the tables, numbers, statistics, and "building" something. I don't get the impression your GM is one of these people. If she were, she'd probably be doing that, and you probably wouldn't be here asking things for her.

Caveat, here - if you ( or more importantly, if the GM ) think that stat-ing out everything is part of the fun, then have at it. Go to town, and create reams of data. But read through all the books first, tinker around and come up against some walls. But I'd say If this sounds like a chore or you don't have a feel for it, nothing says you have to bother with it. Tell a good story, about a compelling villain, and how a group of seasoned Travellers might run afoul of his plans, and ultimate thwart him.

Maybe not worry so much about how many tours he spent as an NCO before he got a commission.

Just my .02 ImpCr
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:31 pm

The ship being converted from a freighter is unlikely to have some of the 'battleship' features. A spinal mount would be hard to convert in. Might not have a lot of armour either. Might be more of a combination ship being part carrier and part fighting ship. Could be it tries to be everything but not great at any particular role.
Solomani666
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Solomani666 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:25 am

JMISBEST wrote:Hellow

A Friend of mine plans to do a 2nd edition Campaign were the main villain is the commander of A 222,000 Ton Super-Heavy Freighter that has been converted into A Super-Light Battleship, due to anti-aging Drugs has been a pirate forbmore then 400 years old, has discovered A Ancient Device that lets him make fool-proof Fake Currency and pays all his minions at least 17.3 times their normal wage

She/The GM does not have a clue what stats and skills to give her Villain, but things he should have been Navy for at least 8 terms and reached at least Rank 4 Officer/Rank 2 NCO, that his lowest stat DM should be -1 and that most should be at least +1 and that he should have a price of at least Cr 1,534,500,000 on his head. Please give hints, tips and advise on this and try to do me at least at least a very rough diagram for his ship
I am really curious what setting she is using.
I ship like that would survive maybe for 3 months tops in Imperial space before a cruiser fleet reduced it to its basic components.
Being a known one of a kind pirate ship, docking privileges would be denied at almost every starport.
Spare parts, supplies and fuel will also quickly become a problem.
This will mean refueling primarily at gas giants, the perfect place for a fleet ambush.
Being essentially a freighter, all but the slowest ships should be able to out run it.

The crew are likely to be identified and arrested at any port not deemed a pirate haven and their money will no longer be accepted after the inevitable discovery of their counterfeiting.
No matter how good the counterfeit money is, the bills are either of numbers already in circulation or numbers not in circulation.

For this to work, the ship would need to be supported by a government and possibly be given letters of marque.
He would also have to refrain from counterfeiting that governments currency.

Basically what you are left with is an infamous ship too big to hide.
Too slow to chase down other ships.
Too slow to run away.
No armor.
A crew in the verge of mutiny because its been paid with useless money that will get them arrested as soon as they spend it.
A monetary black hole because its pirating activity can't even pay for 1/10th of the ship maintenance.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:02 am

Maybe a heavily stealthed planetoid, and an artifact anti-matter power plant.

Collectors seem appropriate.
haveahappy
Stoat

Postby haveahappy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:17 am

Sounds a bit like a GMPC/Mary Sue/Uber BBEG to me.

I'd be concerned (unless you really trust this GM).

What I CAN see working, is the group being picked up by such a ship and being pressed into service. You could run a whole campaign on such a hulk - with such a huge crew there'd be a number of factions vying for influence, and the players could go about dismantling this organisation from the inside (or simply escaping).

If it's just the BBEG in a bog standard campaign, I don't really see how this stuff is going to be relevant until well into the campaign.
Solomani666
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Solomani666 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:13 am

This could work as a mobile pirate haven/base/trading post/starport in some empty hex in an isolated subsector like District 268.

The entry fee might be a rare item or information plus a docking fee. Bad Intel/goods gets the ship blacklisted.

The ship jumps at the first sign of trouble and disseminates its new location through highly trusted pirate associates.

He could become the pirate king without ever raiding any ships himself, trading intel on ripe targets for a share of the profits.

He could make an additional profit by fencing some counterfeit currency, but not enough to draw undue attention.