Art: Type T Patrol Cruiser

Postby middenface » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Please Visit my Blog Gallery: https://biomassart.wordpress.com
Patreon Support Page: https://www.patreon.com/biomassart
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Art: Type T Patrol Cruiser

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:20 pm

These more than the scout ship, look like they could glide to a landing on a runway. in fact the resemble some of the "destroyers" from the old Battlestar Galactica series, that were operated by the Eastern Alliance, They are basically interplanetary bombers, or that was their function on the old show.

Well maybe not quite, this is the plan of their destroyer, I think this ship would fit in well in a Traveller setting.
A little bit ungainly, doesn't look like it could easily make a runway landing.
cavebear
Stoat

Postby cavebear » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:18 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:These more than the scout ship, look like they could glide to a landing on a runway. in fact the resemble some of the "destroyers" from the old Battlestar Galactica series, that were operated by the Eastern Alliance, They are basically interplanetary bombers, or that was their function on the old show.

Well maybe not quite, this is the plan of their destroyer, I think this ship would fit in well in a Traveller setting.
A little bit ungainly, doesn't look like it could easily make a runway landing.
Not landing on a runway but perhaps a water landing? Obviously it would have to be using anti-G to lower it down to its assigned dock. I have (some where in the basement) a series of books where that was the way all major ships would land as they were too massive to land on the ground.
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:22 pm

In BSG, it had a verticle landing capability, and its crew consisted of "Space Nazis" serving an Empire called the "Eastern Alliance" that the audience might have initially been fooled to think was the Soviet Eastern Block, on a planet called "Terra" that the writers at the last minute decided to make "not Earth." The Battlestar Galactica, saved this world called Terra from destruction in a nuclear war launched by the Eastern Alliance against the Western Alliance, by shooting down ICBMs with its lasers, and after an "angel" told, told them that his world was not actually Earth, the BSG had to keep on looking for Earth. the plot is sort of dumb when you think that "Terra" was actually more technologically advanced, than the Earth they finally did discover in Galactica 1980, there was less technological advancement Terra needed in order to be able to deal with the Cylons, that what Earth needed. Both planets were divided by Cold Wars, in the case of Terra it was between the Eastern and Western Alliances, in the case of Earth it was between the Soviet Block and NATO.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Mid, I like your Type T. That's a ship that doesn't get enough respect.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:09 pm

The T-type is one of those Iconic Traveller vessels... It somehow seems to always fall through the cracks of most games though...occasionally one might pop in for a surprise inspection, then pop out..never to be seen again.
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:05 pm

wbnc wrote:The T-type is one of those Iconic Traveller vessels... It somehow seems to always fall through the cracks of most games though...occasionally one might pop in for a surprise inspection, then pop out..never to be seen again.
Has to do with the career tables. No one musters out a Patrol Cruiser, though scouts, free traders, corsairs, and lab ships are common.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm

The best most people outside of scouts, merchant, or pirate can do is a ships boat.
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 pm

wbnc wrote:The best most people outside of scouts, merchant, or pirate can do is a ships boat.
One time I was GMing a Traveller game, one of the players mustered out a scout/courier, so he sold it and retired, living off the interest for the rest of his life. A Scout/Ship is work around MCr29.43 according to the classic Starships Book, this is roughly equivalent to around $90,000,000 in the real world, 3% of this is a cool $2,700,000! If you have this money you are definitely within the top 1% of income earners in the United States! Your rich! You can quit your job and never need to work again in your life! No it didn't really happen, but it is what should happen with most realistic characters. Do you know of any other RPG game that drops such riches in starting players laps, and that is only a lowly Scout/Courier!

What do D&D players start out with? 3d6 x 10 gold pieces?
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote:
wbnc wrote:The best most people outside of scouts, merchant, or pirate can do is a ships boat.
One time I was GMing a Traveller game, one of the players mustered out a scout/courier, so he sold it and retired, living off the interest for the rest of his life. A Scout/Ship is work around MCr29.43 according to the classic Starships Book, this is roughly equivalent to around $90,000,000 in the real world, 3% of this is a cool $2,700,000! If you have this money you are definitely within the top 1% of income earners in the United States! Your rich! You can quit your job and never need to work again in your life! No it didn't really happen, but it is what should happen with most realistic characters. Do you know of any other RPG game that drops such riches in starting players laps, and that is only a lowly Scout/Courier!

What do D&D players start out with? 3d6 x 10 gold pieces?
The difference is that Most Travellers are veterans when they start, with a hard won lifetime of experience under their belts. Also it takes a bit of luck, and use of the various character careers to get a few million in the starting funds.Another thing a lot og games do not do..But to balance the potential windfall Character creation can hit you with such things a debilitating injuries,a permanent addiction to aging drugs, a and a boat load of debt for medical bills at character start :D

Oh sorry for the -6 points your stats, the prosthetic arms, and a couple of enemies who want you dead..here have an S-type....and a snub pistol, you're gonna need it...So what do you want to do now..I hear their is a Free trader looking for a cook...
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote:One time I was GMing a Traveller game, one of the players mustered out a scout/courier, so he sold it and retired, living off the interest for the rest of his life. A Scout/Ship is work around MCr29.43 according to the classic Starships Book, this is roughly equivalent to around $90,000,000 in the real world, 3% of this is a cool $2,700,000! If you have this money you are definitely within the top 1% of income earners in the United States! Your rich! You can quit your job and never need to work again in your life! No it didn't really happen, but it is what should happen with most realistic characters. Do you know of any other RPG game that drops such riches in starting players laps, and that is only a lowly Scout/Courier!
Except that Scout Courier is just on loan from the IISS and it shouldn't be able to be sold.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:03 pm

I thought the Scout was a loaner.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Condottiere wrote:I thought the Scout was a loaner.
"NO seriously, I went to grab a burger and when I came back it was gone...I must have left the keys in the switch....."

a few months later as the cuffs go on the new owner..

"Oh come on! I have a sales reciept..what do you mean it's Hot...I bought it from a guy back on Plaven...He said he bought it at a surplus sale....."