Garinaembreight are tough

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Erias
Weasel

Garinaembreight are tough

Postby Erias » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi guys

I’ve just started a series of adventures to prepare my group (all of us new to Traveller -well, less and less actually) to the campaign “Pirates of Drinax”. I ran Marooned on Marduk and I’m currently running “Theories of everything” where our beloved Travellers are being pitched against Garinaembreights one more time. You know, these huge canine creatures more akin to Worgs (Wargs?) than wolves. And, good lord, that was tough ... again: the whole scientist party ended up to the high port hospital and they all nearly died, as a couple of Travellers were badly injured themselves.

So here’s my question: is this fight supposed to be that hard? More generally, are Traveller’ scenarios this deadly? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Faelderg
Cub

Re: Garinaembreight are tough

Postby Faelderg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 am

They are rather like Wargs. I was going to be running Marooned on Marduk tomorrow but circumstances will be preventing that. That fight looks to be and likely will be a bad ass fight. The party doesn't really get to bring their good weapons and its going to be a close in fight. I expect my players to win but to be a mess at the end.

Not all scenarios are this deadly. Also when a party is allowed to be equipped well it can make a big difference. It is also going to depend on some luck. My players have had some great luck and some horrible luck. I ran Mission to Mithril and they absolutely destroyed the Giant Snow-worm at the end. Only one of them got hurt and the party medic was able to fix him up pretty good. On another adventure I wrote One player threw a frag grenade at the bad guys who were between 10 and 12 m away, failed the throw and it landed mid way between the groups leaving both groups within the blast radius. Player 2 then said, "You call that throwing a grenade boy? Hold my beer, I'll show you how a man throws a grenade." He promptly botched his roll and dropped a Tranq grenade at his feet.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:19 pm

:D :lol:
Erias
Weasel

Postby Erias » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am

In Marooned on Marduk the Travellers are at a disadvantage (weapon wise) but it wasn't the case in Theories of everything and yet, they almost lost.
To be honest, the scientists had poor weapons if any, and I played Garinaembreights as viciously as depicted in Marooned on Marduk.
It was brutal :mrgreen:
MonkeyX
Banded Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 pm

My players faced off against the creatures in marooned on Marduk backed up by some of the planets natives and even then it was a tough fight. In Theory the PCs had better weapons, used a height advantage from climbing the ruins and they did a lot better but that initial encounter really made them think about using those tactics rather than steaming in and fighting face to face. Combat is deadly.
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 am

Yes, combat is deadly. My players were wounded quite a bit, too, although I reduced combat somewhat. I also used Marooned on Marduk as an opening scenario for PoD. In my version the players were "asked" by the Imperial Consul on Drinax, to ferry him to a meeting with GeDeCo on Marduk. The consul is a contact of the diplomat character in the party. It made it extra difficult to keep the consul alive, for he wandered off in the ruins on Marduk and had to be rescued.
liber et infractus