VAS Version 1

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

TrevorAllen
Cub

VAS Version 1

Postby TrevorAllen » Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 am

I understand that older rules get revised, for freshness and commercial reasons, and have no problems with that at all. However, I was one of the original players of VAS in 2006, playing competitions, and although there were 1 or 2 oddball rules I generally found them a very good ruleset. I have both VAS and OOB and have a reasonable amount of British and German German ships in both 1/3000 (my preferred scale) and 1/6000. Until this lockdown I had plenty of Navwar lead knocking around as well, and consequently have just finished these, including the large convoy. I have a couple of players in my area that are prepared to play, and as we will be a small group, and I am happy to supply both fleets, for one off and campaign games I am looking for a second set of VAS (1) and OOB. If it was available on pdf I would be happy but as yet I have not found any version one rulesets in any format.

If anyone has them please contact me with a price, as it always helps to have a set for each player present.

Having not seen V2 were there many changes?

I also note that Cruel Seas are using the same name - is this Warlord doing their own thing, or is it an upgrade/V3?

If anyone out there in the UK still has an interest in V1 then obviously I would be ecstatic to hear from them for potential opposition.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Re: VAS Version 1

Postby Greg Smith » Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Wargames Vault have it for sale. https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub ... ory-at-Sea

Cruel Seas is small craft combat,m MTBs e-boats and the like.

Victory at Sea by Warlord is the second edition of Mongoose's game. Warlord have the resources to make ship models where Mongoose don't, so they are publishing the game.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
TrevorAllen
Cub

Postby TrevorAllen » Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
kamenski
Shrew

Postby kamenski » Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm a VaS1 player too. I got 4 large fleets at 1/3000 from Navwar (German, British, US and Japanese). I love these rules, they are easy to play, may be a little hard to understand as far as radar and/or night/bad weather are concerned, but generally it's ok. I read Vas2, and I think it was not necessary to make a second rule.
I also have 3 or 4 players in may area and we play as often as we can, and everyone think it's a good rule.

I have VaS1 and OOB booklets and on pdf and can send it to you for free (pdf, not books).

Unfortunatly I live in France, but it would be a pleasure to get opposition from a British player (playing Royal Navy of course)

Excuse me for my poor English, French people are not famous for their proficiency of foreign languages

You can find a few battle reports of my battles with friens of mine on this forum
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun May 17, 2020 8:39 am

kamenski wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm
Unfortunatly I live in France, but it would be a pleasure to get opposition from a British player (playing Royal Navy of course)
You will find we retained the French fleet in the new version of the game, as well as added a great deal more background on what the French fleets were doing throughout the war!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com