Apocalypse package & Library class Archive Ship

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Apocalypse package & Library class Archive Ship

Postby Moppy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 am

WingedCat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 am
the main new capability the apocalypse package brings is the ability to synthesize anagathics, so the same person can guard it for centuries if need be.
That's actually quite significant (the inability of previous systems to manufacture those) and should be mentioned in the main article. I couldn't see it there.

That being said, I think the price for analgesics in the rules is "wrong" in that it's too low. If they're so super rare and hard to make they should cost a lot more.
WingedCat
Mongoose

Postby WingedCat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 am

Moppy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 am
WingedCat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 am
the main new capability the apocalypse package brings is the ability to synthesize anagathics, so the same person can guard it for centuries if need be.
That's actually quite significant (the inability of previous systems to manufacture those) and should be mentioned in the main article. I couldn't see it there.
I thought it was implied well enough, but alright, I have stated it explicitly in the apocalypse package article
Moppy wrote:
That being said, I think the price for analgesics in the rules is "wrong" in that it's too low. If they're so super rare and hard to make they should cost a lot more.
A higher cost might be justified, especially in specific circumstances rather than the average cost listed, but a thing is worth what the market will pay for it. If the drug cost megacredits for a month's dose, there would be far fewer buyers - few enough that the makers would, overall, get a lot less money.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:55 pm

WingedCat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 am
Moppy wrote:
A higher cost might be justified, especially in specific circumstances rather than the average cost listed, but a thing is worth what the market will pay for it. If the drug cost megacredits for a month's dose, there would be far fewer buyers - few enough that the makers would, overall, get a lot less money.
Just raise the price again. You can charge anything you want and some space xillionnare will pay it because they aren't ready to go yet.

Old joke. Person saves rich person from choking. Rich person asks if they can pay and how much. Answer is "half of what you would have offered when you were threshing about in the floor dying".

It's not quite so bad in Trav as they have multiple sources of the chemicals, but there's going to be a big markup or a government controlled supply to manage the population. Especially for the better ones.