Firing during opponent movement

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JNJ
Stoat

Firing during opponent movement

Postby JNJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:30 am

Hi,

Suppose a fight in a cargo hold filled with lot of crates.

A vargr corsair moves (6 meters, 1 minor action) from one crate to the other to approach the travellers and then fires (1 significant action) during the same round.

How can the traveller fire at him while he moves ?

As far as I understand the rules, the traveller can only fire on the Vargr before his move (probably with crate cover penalty) or after his move (with crate cover penalty ?) depending on initiative.

Did I miss something ? How to you handle this ?

Thanks,
JNJ
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Firing during opponent movement

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 am

I handle it by house rule:

Escape round

If the enemy flees or moves in his round, you can attack him as if he was still there during your next round. You must be able to make the attack without moving, i.e. you made the attack as he ran and exposed himself. If the enemy is incapacitated, he falls where he was when you attacked him before his last move.
[ Originally intended to handle cases such as the enemy runs out a door and leaves the field during his round. You still get to attack him a last round as he runs out. ]

Hold action

You can hold an action for later use. If not used before your next round it is lost.
[ Great for ambushes, everyone can hold their fire and fire as soon as someone enters a room for example. ]

In this case I would allow anyone having a clear field of fire to attack the Vargr as he ran between the crates during his next round.

If any of the players had held an action he could fire as the Vargr ran exposed.
JNJ
Stoat

Postby JNJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

Great ideas, thanks AnotherDilbert.

The only thing that annoys me in escape round, if I understand it well, is that if the vargr moves then fires in the same round, you must "go back in time" and cancel his fire result if the traveller incapacitates him in his next round.

Hold action doesn't need to go back in time and allows greater initiative characters to react to the move. A lower initiative than the vargr wouldn't be able to interept him. Seems simple and elegant.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am

The hold action rule is the way I rule it. If a pc holds his action to shoot should the character break cover he gets a shot, otherwise he moves from cover to cover.
JNJ
Stoat

Postby JNJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks MonkeyX. I think I will adopt it like this...and probably have to try it this weekend !
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

JNJ wrote: The only thing that annoys me in escape round, if I understand it well, is that if the vargr moves then fires in the same round, you must "go back in time" and cancel his fire result if the traveller incapacitates him in his next round.
Yes, it can retcon the combat a bit. I would not bother rewinding the Vargr's shot, just his movement.

It's a bodge, but it works and is fairly simple.
bklokis
Stoat

Postby bklokis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Maybe it doesn't need mentioning, but don't forget penalties for firing at a moving target. Additionally, depending on the distance from one crate to another, there may also be a bane for firing through a constrained space.
"Every RPG character worth his salt has daddy issues" - Ambrosius Quayle
JNJ
Stoat

Postby JNJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm

bklokis wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:08 pm
Maybe it doesn't need mentioning, but don't forget penalties for firing at a moving target. Additionally, depending on the distance from one crate to another, there may also be a bane for firing through a constrained space.
Fully agreed, thanks bklokis
JNJ
Stoat

Postby JNJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:45 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm
JNJ wrote: The only thing that annoys me in escape round, if I understand it well, is that if the vargr moves then fires in the same round, you must "go back in time" and cancel his fire result if the traveller incapacitates him in his next round.
Yes, it can retcon the combat a bit. I would not bother rewinding the Vargr's shot, just his movement.

It's a bodge, but it works and is fairly simple.
Yes, keeping simple is important. Solutions found in other versions or ACQ would slow the game too much probably (but would also allow another vargr covering the 1st one with suppression fire while the 1st is moving :wink: ).
Finding equilbrium between game fluidity and details is often hard to find. Mgt is not bad at it IMO...with a pinch of house rules.