First 2e Session!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Garnfellow
Weasel

First 2e Session!

Postby Garnfellow » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am

Last weekend we had our first session of a Mongoose Traveller 2e game. The player characters are a pretty interesting mix of skills and backgrounds:
  • Marine Barry “Boone” Russell
  • Starman Cryo
  • HotLolz69420xxx
  • Trooper Howard
  • Ronald from Vallance
  • Bodyguard 3185D31A, “Sonny”
  • Wayne Masada
https://greatdungeonnorth.blogspot.com/ ... cters.html
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: First 2e Session!

Postby paltrysum » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:29 pm

I love the Classic-style character sheets. Looking forward to hearing more about your game. :D
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Good stuff! What kind of campaign do you have planned?
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Very nice just done the same thing with my sons character. Now you need to flesh out the interesting details as suggested in 'Gamemastering' http://www.gamemastering.info/

Generate some allies (for help), contacts (for info), enemies and rivals, and maybe even a nemesis for the character(s) that constantly fouls their best laid plans
Think about the alignment of the characters
Features/distinguishing marks/appearance/distinctive traits
Decide on some short term, medium term and long term goals that may help drive the characters' desires

This is the best bit of character development once all the randomness is out of the way, ask the players what they doesnt like or really like about their characters, dont be afraid to make changes to the stats to get them happy, each character should be a hero of sorts so that the players can love playing their characters.

Once all that is done a few good ideas will start to formulate for some good games.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
Garnfellow
Weasel

Postby Garnfellow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 am

Old School wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 pm
Good stuff! What kind of campaign do you have planned?
I've set it up as a pretty wide field sandbox, but that said my vision of Magyar sector is of a broken-down, impoverished area where crime is common and life is cheap. What had been an important industrial and ship-building center for the Confederation was devastated by the Solomani Rim War, and Imperial reconstruction efforts have been ineffective and plagued by corruption and exploitation from the megacorporations. So with this group of PCs, we could do just about any kind of game except exploration: military, espionage, crime, or merchant would all be cool.

The first session kicked off with a riff on a patron encounter from CT: the group was approached by a businessman who introduced himself as "Mr. Johanson," representing a coalition of industrial interests. While these interests see a supporter in General Zakiah, the dictatorial ruler of Einkamp (Magyar 3020 E8648BD-6), they are concerned about reports of a growing rebel movement on the mainworld. The General has assured these industrial interests that he has the matter well under control, but rumors abound that the rebels, who are extremely violent, have enjoyed a string of military successes. Just to be safe Mr. Johanson has been tasked with verifying these claims. The PCs were offered very generous terms to travel to Einkamp, survey the rebel army, and report back on their apparent strength and position. They are also asked to fully document any indication of rebel atrocities.

Once on Einkamp the PCs seek out a black market to arm themselves despite the world's high law level. They learn that the rebels, who oppose economic inequality and megacorp meddling in their world's affairs, have a fairly popular onworld following and are beginning to attract sympathetic offworld supporters. The "Lifestyle Holographer" takes great delight in documenting their onworld experience, seeking out recent battlefields and war orphans. The PCs also notice they are being followed, and assume they are being surveiled by either the general or the rebels. The PCs set an ambush and capture one of their tails. Under interrogation the tail reveals that the PCs have been set up: Mr. Johanson wanted to lure the Lifestyle Holographer to Einkamp to be murdered along with his companions, and the rebels would be blamed for the deaths. The ensuing publicity was intended to smother offworld sympathies for the rebel movement.

The PCs decide to approach the rebel commander with their story, revealing the location of Mr. Johanson's murder squad. The commander is all-to-glad to eliminate some offworld counter-revolutionaries, and his forces shell the warehouse where the murder squad was waiting, killing everyone inside. Instead of documenting rebel atrocities the Lifestyle Holographer documents the government's atrocities as well as megacorp involvement.
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 am

UPP 22146C

HotLolz indeed. Doesn’t seem like the adventuring type.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:08 am

The setup sounds great. Love the choice of Magyar sector. Lots of potential there.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:14 am

I never played Solomani Rim. Magyar sounds great. I would like to do something in Alpha Crusis one day.
Garnfellow
Weasel

Postby Garnfellow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 am

Old School wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 am
UPP 22146C

HotLolz indeed. Doesn’t seem like the adventuring type.
Yeah, one of the big challenges will be figuring out how to integrate him into the game. He is extremely shallow but has an astonishing capacity for generating publicity. One of the organizations in my Magyar is Veriti, a muck-raking media network that specializes in investigative stories exposing the corruption and inefficiency of the Imperial nobility and megacorps. Although they do real, serious journalism they are also backed by the Solomani Confederation.

I think the Sollies might consider HotLolz as a very useful tool -- think weaponized Kardashian, being directed by Russian intelligence.
Garnfellow
Weasel

Postby Garnfellow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am

Old School wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:14 am
I never played Solomani Rim. Magyar sounds great. I would like to do something in Alpha Crusis one day.
The Mongoose Solomani alien module and Solomani Rim supplement are both excellent. Lots of stuff to work with there, and Alpha Crucis is a very interesting sector.