Legal stuff

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Legal stuff

Postby JMISBEST » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:33 pm

I've a few questions about Immigration on A Traveller Version of The UK but on the scale of A Star System, can you help?

Does it count as coming to work if someone's only purpose of coming is to look after their infant granddaughter while the infants father, her son, is too ill too?

Does it count as overstaying is someone is arrested for a crime they didn't commit and not proved innocent and released until a few days after their visa runs out?

Does it count as working if a author comes as a tourist with the intent to be a tourist but whilst their gets ideas that he wants to turn into a book and immigration learns this?
Galadrion
Banded Mongoose

Re: Legal stuff

Postby Galadrion » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Dude. Sounds like you need a lawyer. Not certain if it'd be a solicitor or a barrister, but one of those...
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Galadrion wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm
Dude. Sounds like you need a lawyer. Not certain if it'd be a solicitor or a barrister, but one of those...
Just curious as to how you think it might work in Traveller?. Merely looking for opinions, ideas and suggestions
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Laws work however the society that makes them decides that they should work. In a society that exists within a game world, they work however the game master decides they work.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:03 am

JMISBEST wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Does it count as coming to work if someone's only purpose of coming is to look after their infant granddaughter while the infants father, her son, is too ill too?
Arguably, yes (depending on the length of time we're talking about - this is only likely to be an issue long-term, and what you mean by 'does it count as?').
"Carer" is a recognised role with legal responsibilities, even if not necessarily a paid one, and if you want to be considered legally the child's carer (such that you get suitable benefits and/or authority with medical services on behalf of the child) then...I'm not sure what exactly you'd need but I'm pretty sure a tourist/student visa wouldn't cut it.
Does it count as overstaying is someone is arrested for a crime they didn't commit and not proved innocent and released until a few days after their visa runs out?
Yes and no. As in; you would probably be expected to leave the country (because you no longer have a valid visa) and you can't normally apply for visas for a country whilst in the country.

Most likely you'd be released from police custody directly into the customs & excise entity's custody - so you're never 'released' per se, and deported directly. If you were proved innocent and your overstay was due to being in government custody, though, you shouldn't have trouble securing another visa to return and would be unlikely to face repercussions from the overstay.
Does it count as working if a author comes as a tourist with the intent to be a tourist but whilst their gets ideas that he wants to turn into a book and immigration learns this?
A tourist being inspired by something is the point of being a tourist. That much is fine, provided they're not writing, soliciting publishers for advances about the idea, or otherwise actively creating the book whilst in the country.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.