Can gauss weapons use AP rounds?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
tdsharkey
Cub

Re: Can gauss weapons use AP rounds?

Postby tdsharkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:50 pm

CaladanGuard wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 am
The major way I stop people from just using AP ammo all the time IMTU is legality. Places might be tolerant of you carrying a pistol, or rifle around, but when you start humping AP rounds around, or even hunting them down to purchase them in a moderate law level society, the authorities may take notice.
Valid point. Certain ammo is illegal in various places where firearms are generally allowed. In the U.S. armor piercing ammo is illegal on the Federal level, and many states have outlawed Teflon coated bullets. (...even though there is little to suggest that Teflon made penetrating Kevlar any easier..) Law level is a great tool.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Oooo, what side of the Imperial border is this race on?! ;)
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Reynard wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm
Oooo, what side of the Imperial border is this race on?! ;)
Not sure what the picture has to do with what is being discussed, but since it appears to be a rabbit you could make it one of the animals the Solomani have uplifted. Possibly to have a fast-breeding soldier?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Considering the size of the braincase and the fact the ear structure encompasses most of it, I am not sure how uplifted they might be.
baithammer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 am

This what waffer jacks are for. :)
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Hare uplift.
Linwood
Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Vorpal Rabbit - The Next Generation? :D
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm

The verdict for my campaign is that gauss weapons will be lumped with magrail weapons as incapable of using AP and AP DS ammo. It creates a massive imbalance that doesn't occur with any other weapon system. A TL-12 gauss rifle with AP DS ammo would have an AP value of 17, essentially removing the validity of combat armor and battle dress. I would prefer that high-energy and heavy weapons own that province. Expensive ammo is not a deterrent to essentially having all players make AP DS their ammo of choice.

So my take on it will be that the unique, needle bullets of personal gauss weaponry are too narrow to incorporate the materials or function of AP and AP DS. With an inherent AP of 5, they're already quite effective. To get a higher AP, characters will have to resort to ACRs, assault rifles, and their ilk, getting a much more manageable AP value of 3 (AP) or 9 (AP DS). Users of the sniper rifle will receive a more significant bump, but that is a very specialized weapon.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm
The verdict for my campaign is that gauss weapons will be lumped with magrail weapons as incapable of using AP and AP DS ammo. It creates a massive imbalance that doesn't occur with any other weapon system. A TL-12 gauss rifle with AP DS ammo would have an AP value of 17, essentially removing the validity of combat armor and battle dress. I would prefer that high-energy and heavy weapons own that province. Expensive ammo is not a deterrent to essentially having all players make AP DS their ammo of choice.

So my take on it will be that the unique, needle bullets of personal gauss weaponry are too narrow to incorporate the materials or function of AP and AP DS. With an inherent AP of 5, they're already quite effective. To get a higher AP, characters will have to resort to ACRs, assault rifles, and their ilk, getting a much more manageable AP value of 3 (AP) or 9 (AP DS). Users of the sniper rifle will receive a more significant bump, but that is a very specialized weapon.
Same here IMTU. But I am implementing a grav belt like device to allow for Zero G gauss rifles at the higher TLs. Or for ACRs etc for that matter.
Galadrion
Banded Mongoose

Postby Galadrion » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Sorry, that picture is obviously one of a Gun Bunny...