Advance character gen?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Advance character gen?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:29 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:04 am
I'm a big fan of the DGP alien books as well. Easily digestible with enough detail to work with and sweet-looking art.

Anecdotal note: The Solomani and Aslan book had a great-looking deck plan for the Eakhau-class trader which Mongoose oddly disregarded. Mongoose's Eakhau is blocky while DGP's is smooth and streamlined.
What Traveller books did you first get/play in when you began this hobby?
tytalan
Stoat

Postby tytalan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I started with first edition little black books when they first came out strong on character generation but lite on all other rules we winged it most of the tine.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:07 am

I started with GDW Traveller in '79 I think it was. Then bought most of the Traveller versions that came out after. I skipped over the HERO and the 4th edition versions of Traveller.

I use rules from both Mongoose editions of Traveller for my games. I don't ever look at the other Traveller books I have any more (I still have GURPS and Classic Traveller). I don't have MegaTraveller or TNE anymore.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:29 pm
What Traveller books did you first get/play in when you began this hobby?
It was 1980-81, so it was the original three black books, Book 4 and 5; Supplements 1-4, 6, and 7; and Adventures 1-3. I can't remember what our first adventures were like, but since we were about 12-13 years old, I'm pretty sure they were a blatant Star Wars ripoff (minus light sabers, of course) using Traveller trappings.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."