State of the Mongoose 2016

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
msprange
Site Admin

State of the Mongoose 2016

Postby msprange » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:10 pm

As has become traditional, we have created the State of the Mongoose address, which takes a look back at the past 12 months and what Mongoose Publishing has achieved, and looks ahead to the future.

You can find the address here: http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=829

You are also welcome to make any comments or ask any question in this thread!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Re: State of the Mongoose 2016

Postby legozhodani » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:15 am

Good to hear that the company is in the black and holding well. The new approach to Traveller has been great. The new books have invigorated the game I hope. The style works well for me. On a sour note, the central supply book has MANY shocking pictures of weapons! I would ask if the artists have ever seen any hand weapon or firearm? No really take a look at some of them and try to work out how they can even be held, let alone used. 11/57614 smg oh lord, take a look and tell me how the mag, folding stock, ironsights, etc work?

Loving the whole style and thoughts behind it, just that Amy and Will needed to give the art a tighter brief.

Pedantic grump mode over :D
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 am

A good read. :)

The Traveller and Paranoia lines look to have some exciting progress in the next year, which I will be buying into to one degree or another.

It was a shame that the 2000AD license was lost, although the explanation regarding miniature games was clear enough. Does that also mean that any Traveller Miniatures game is unlikely to happen too? And while the Dredd license has moved on, if you were going to ask me honestly what other game license would I like to see - it would be an independent Judge Dredd game akin to the old Games Workshop box set in the 1980s. I could see Mongoose working on three outstanding classic RPGs (Traveller, Paranoia and Judge Dredd) but you'll have your own priorities of course.

That all said, I've got plenty to get my teeth into next year anyway. Our group had just started a new campaign - with the intention to slowly build into the Drinax campaign over the next year. Unfortunately, the game club abode we hang out at has just closed this week so we'll have to be re-assessing where we meet I guess. :(

Best of wishes for Xmas, etc.
Outtasight!
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 am

TrippyHippy wrote: Does that also mean that any Traveller Miniatures game is unlikely to happen too?
No, that is still very much on the cards!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 am

Cool! :D
Outtasight!
Carew
Stoat

Postby Carew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Why no mentioned of Legend? Lots of Traveler, lots of Paranoia but no mentions of Legend. You have said there are Legend books in the works but curious there isn't mention of them in the State of the Nation address. Have the plans changed?

:(
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Without being too contentious, I think that much of Legend's fanbase has gravitated over with The Design Mechanism's Mythras - previously called RuneQuest 6, based on Mongoose's RuneQuest 2, not to be associated to Chaosium's RuneQuest 2 and written by the same people who wrote Legend which is still owned by Mongoose, and also not to be associated with OpenQuest, Renaissance, D100 Revolution or BRP. Nor the new upcoming Chaosium RuneQuest.

In short, it's a convoluted market to be tapping into.
Outtasight!
Carew
Stoat

Postby Carew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Without being too contentious, I think that much of Legend's fanbase has gravitated over with The Design Mechanism's Mythras
Yes, I have some of the Mythras books myself. It has been said on the Legend board though that there are several Legend books in the works. It puzzles me and saddens me that these didn't get mentioned in the State of the Nation. There are still people who like Legend and want it to expand, but how can it when it always seems to go to the back of the line and get ignored in State of the Mongoose mentions? It just makes Legend seem like a dead system while Mythras is very much alive and getting more and stuff published for it. So if there ARE Legend books in line, can not Matt make some reference here to what the plan is for them? If your not a Traveler or Paranoia fan, there's very little to get excited about otherwise.

:cry:
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:52 am

...I think I'll leave Matthew to answer that one then...

Another question about Traveller though - any word from the RPGSuite as to whether they will update the Traveller software to include Starship and Vehicle design?
Outtasight!
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 am

Legend books are indeed in the queue - as soon as we have some free time, we'll slot them in and get them out to you chaps!

As for RPGSuite, they are indeed planning to put ships into the software.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Carew
Stoat

Postby Carew » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Legend books are indeed in the queue - as soon as we have some free time, we'll slot them in and get them out to you chaps!
Which is good news, but the same news you said in October on the Legend forum. Why did you not give more detail in the State of the Nation? What is the Legend plan? How will the line grow? I know lots about Traveler - a game I don't play - but nothing about Legend, a game I do!

Oh well, I think I understand anyway. Thank you for responding.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:07 pm

At the moment, I cannot answer those questions - I have things I would very much like to do with the Legend range, but we must get other projects out of the way first (and I have 4,000+ copies of Paranoia that must be shipped looming in January, so my mind is kind of in other places right now :)).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 pm

All the best, and I hope that 2017 does even better than 2016 for all of us. :)
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]