Earth-like planet around Proxima Cetauri discovered!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Earth-like planet around Proxima Cetauri discovered!

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:50 am

This time, I'm providing the link:
http://www.universetoday.com/130276/ear ... iscovered/#
I wonder if Stephen Baxter had heard the news?
http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Step ... oxima.html
fusor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Earth-like planet around Proxima Cetauri discovered!

Postby fusor » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:34 am

It's a preliminary rumour at best at the moment. Apparently they'll announce something at the end of August, but for now, take this with a VERY big pinch of salt.
(and note that "Earthlike" means "about the size/mass of Earth and in the habitable zone" - it doesn't mean anything more than that).

Also, Proxima is a very good SF book :).
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:00 am

The one where they say its too far away another apparently posted it orbits a bit too close to its sun and another saying it might actually be inhabitable?

Oh and have they said anything more about that warp drive they mentioned last year?

I figure this if anything is worth a road trip wouldn't you? :wink:

Seriously though what if they received a communication from another world?
Would they recognise it if it actually happened and if they did would they announce it or cover it up?
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:22 am

fusor wrote:It's a preliminary rumour at best at the moment. Apparently they'll announce something at the end of August, but for now, take this with a VERY big pinch of salt.
(and note that "Earthlike" means "about the size/mass of Earth and in the habitable zone" - it doesn't mean anything more than that).

Also, Proxima is a very good SF book :).
I'll take that for now. Not much information, we really can't expect more than that. Maybe we can land humans on it. The planet is probably tidally locked, so on the planet itself is possibly a habitable zone for humans. Does the atmosphere have oxygen? We need to find out.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:07 pm

I'll cheer when we first land someone on Mars in a few dozen more generations.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Reynard wrote:I'll cheer when we first land someone on Mars in a few dozen more generations.
Why do you think it will take dozens of generations?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Because we were going strong in the 60s then crashed. The space program has been on idle with the Liberty station as a seldom noticed placeholder. We're not really trying. I do, of course, blame the economy of politics gumming it up. We should have had some sort of permanent research facility on Luna in all these decades.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Reynard wrote:Because we were going strong in the 60s then crashed. The space program has been on idle with the Liberty station as a seldom noticed placeholder. We're not really trying. I do, of course, blame the economy of politics gumming it up. We should have had some sort of permanent research facility on Luna in all these decades.
Well, the Americans/NASA seem to be idling - but they're still sending probes out and dealing with a local space station (ISS). OTOH, other economies are catching up so you never know what will happen next.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:27 am

IanBruntlett wrote:
Reynard wrote:Because we were going strong in the 60s then crashed. The space program has been on idle with the Liberty station as a seldom noticed placeholder. We're not really trying. I do, of course, blame the economy of politics gumming it up. We should have had some sort of permanent research facility on Luna in all these decades.
Well, the Americans/NASA seem to be idling - but they're still sending probes out and dealing with a local space station (ISS). OTOH, other economies are catching up so you never know what will happen next.
NASA just does what It always does, its not concerned with its budget, just so long as it falls within whatever Congress appropriated for it, the people who work for NASA are happy to have their jobs and also work on something interesting, an no one really seems interested in cutting costs, or I finding cheaper ways of doing things! Private companies like spaceX will probably take the lead in colonizing space
fusor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby fusor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:42 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:NASA just does what It always does, its not concerned with its budget, just so long as it falls within whatever Congress appropriated for it, the people who work for NASA are happy to have their jobs and also work on something interesting, an no one really seems interested in cutting costs, or I finding cheaper ways of doing things!
Spoken as someone who clearly has absolutely no idea how NASA operates or what the people there are doing. They have to cut costs all the time because the government keeps screwing around with their funding. Frankly it's a testament to their engineering skill that they've managed to have so much success given the lack of resources they're allocated.
rust2
Mongoose

Postby rust2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote: NASA just does what It always does, its not concerned with its budget ...
This is one of the better jokes I did read on this forum. :lol:
"Mind like parachute, functions only when open"
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:52 pm

fusor wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:NASA just does what It always does, its not concerned with its budget, just so long as it falls within whatever Congress appropriated for it, the people who work for NASA are happy to have their jobs and also work on something interesting, an no one really seems interested in cutting costs, or I finding cheaper ways of doing things!
Spoken as someone who clearly has absolutely no idea how NASA operates or what the people there are doing. They have to cut costs all the time because the government keeps screwing around with their funding. Frankly it's a testament to their engineering skill that they've managed to have so much success given the lack of resources they're allocated.
When NASA "cuts costs" it simply cancels programs, it doesn't find cheaper ways of doing them. For example, look at its SLS program, when it doesn't get enough money, it simply slows down development, but the rocket they're developing is an updated version of the Saturn V, it is a big dumb booster with expendable parts that are thrown way. SpaceX is trying to find a way to reuse those parts, it has landed a few stages. NASA is still operating on the model of one rocket one launch, and it hasn't departed from that, unlike SpaceX, it is not concerned with profit, the money just keeps on coming from the government, or it does not! If you want another example, look at the Space Shuttle, they've been launching it for 30 years, from 1981 to 2011. It has been more expensive than advertised, but the NASA people didn't mind, the expense was the government's, and the government was willing to keep funding it, because it was their only way to get astronauts into space. The Space Shuttle was not an economical launch vehicle, much of the expense involved launching itself into orbit, and whatever payload capacity it had after that went towards the actual payload, then a lot of work went towards getting the shuttle ready for the next launch, a lot of man hours were involved in that, and NASA people happily worked on the shuttle, the money kept flowing from the government, so it didn't concern them how expensive it was, that expense in part provided them with jobs. No attempt was made to make the Shuttle a commercial success, NASA didn't concern itself with profits, the contractors that worked with NASA made profits out of the funds that flowed from the government, not from anything the Shuttle actually launched into space!

SpaceX on the other hand has to earn its revenue from what it launches, it has to concern itself with the costs of it launch system, NASA did not, the cost of operating the shuttle had nothing to do with whether the funds kept flowing from the Treasury Department, all that was politics, not finance or economic. NASA got a certain amount each year, and NASA would spend that amount.
fusor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby fusor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Please stop talking about things that you have no idea about, Tom.
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:15 pm

fusor wrote:Please stop talking about things that you have no idea about, Tom.
I have some idea about it. Why do you suppose the Government operated the Shuttle for 30 years? Before the Shuttle was built, I was given the idea that it would revolutionize space travel, that there would be private flights into space, that one could buy a ticket into space, travel to a space station and spend a vacation in orbit.
The Shuttle turned out not to be what NASA advertised it was before it was built, yet they kept on operating it for 30 years as if nothing was the matter with it! the only think that kept it flying was government revenue, it was even more expensive to operate than the Saturn V rocket! the cost per pound lifted into orbit was less for the Saturn V than it was for the Shuttle. the Shuttle was a giant step backwards or reusability. Yet NASA didn't mind, didn't try to improve upon the shuttle, because there were no funds for that, instead they got funded for operating the shuttle, the shuttle wasn't profitable, it was only reusable and not 100% at that! NASA gave up economical access to space in order to claim that it has a vehicle that was reusable! Now does this sound like something SpaceX could or would do?