In the OTU, the Moon landings were faked

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AbuDhabi
Shrew

In the OTU, the Moon landings were faked

Postby AbuDhabi » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:21 am

A TL 8 vacc suit (rad resistance 10) can't stand up to normal space radiation. A TL 10 vacc suit (rad resistance 60) can't stand up to normal space radiation, either! In the first case, the wearer dies of radiation exposure under 2 minutes. In the latter case, the wearer dies of radiation exposure under 1 hour. In a TL 12 vacc suit (rad resistance 90), the wearer will only imbibe the maximum category of accumulated radiation in 3 hours, but will not die, due to the small one-time doses.

Ain't nobody who can safely venture into space without a TL 12+ combat armour, TL 11+ HEV suit, or battle dress. Therefore, the Moon landings in the OTU must have been faked... the tinfoil hatters were right!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: In the OTU, the Moon landings were faked

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:32 pm

AbuDhabi wrote:Ain't nobody who can safely venture into space without a TL 12+ combat armour, TL 11+ HEV suit, or battle dress. Therefore, the Moon landings in the OTU must have been faked... the tinfoil hatters were right!
Traveller is not a simulator.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:34 am

Radiation is going to dependent upon WHERE in space they are, and how close to a sun (or other planetary object emitting radiation). And don't forget radiation treatments are pretty standard. It also doesn't 'float' around, so if you aren't in LOS, the amount of radiation you get is pretty small.

I think you found a hole in the rules - being in an TL Vacc suit should provide you with the necessary protections from standard radiation. I'd say if you were in a TL8 standard vacc suit on the sunny surface of Mercury you'd be in for some nice sunburns. If you were in the shadows, no problemo, as you have an entire small planet protecting you against radiation.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:27 am

I think they just vastly overestimated the amount of radiation in space.

According to a random wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_th ... osmic_rays
Estimates are that humans unshielded in interplanetary space would receive annually roughly 400 to 900 mSv (compared to 2.4 mSv on Earth) and that a Mars mission (12 months in flight and 18 months on Mars) might expose shielded astronauts to roughly 500 to 1000 mSv."

Using simplified unit transformations from a random MIT page:
http://news.mit.edu/2011/explained-radioactivity-0328
"For x-rays and gamma rays, 1 rad = 1 rem = 10 mSv "

The amount of radiation in interplanetary space absorbed by an unshielded human is roughly 70 rad/year, not 70 rad/6 s.

According to the well-known XKCD graph:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... y_Xkcd.png
Standing next to the Chernobyl reactor directly after the explosion would be 50000 mSv / 10 min ≈ 50000 / 10 rad per 10 min ≈ 8 rad/s.
70 rad/6 s ≈ 12 rad/s as estimated in the rule would therefore be more radiation than standing next to an exposed exploded reactor core.

These are very rough estimates, radiation absorption is not that simple. I'm definitely not an expert on this, so take anything I say with more than a few grains of salt.
Spartan159
Mongoose

Postby Spartan159 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:23 pm

More information than I had before your post, thanks AnotherDilbert.
Torbyne
Shrew

Postby Torbyne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Traveller space has a huge uptick in rads flying around due to all the ships jumping around and dumping a micro-universe's worth of rays every time they move bundles of spam from system to system. In a TL 8 system with few to no inter system travel the rads are a lot lower ;)