Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 pm
Location: Indiana, US

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby dragoner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Infojunky wrote:
dragoner wrote:A super science supplement, such as beyond TL15 would be interesting; and not just for gear, but for ships and other stuff (like orbitals).
Isn't that called T5?

Though to be honest MgT is on its own Tech Level Progression as it is.

In total? No. T5 however, does have a lot of good ideas and a few items thrown in for good measure. But it would be nice to see higher tech, and divergent tech; stuff that is good for throwing a curveball at the players.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Infojunky » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:50 am

dragoner wrote: divergent tech
Now that sounds like a book I would buy, or maybe write.
Evyn
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Hopeless » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 am

Well ordered a copy of the Grendelssaga that just leaves the French Arm Adventures unless they release something else in print (well hopefully not before that sequel to the Spider God's Bride I hope!).
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 pm
Location: Indiana, US

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby dragoner » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Infojunky wrote:
dragoner wrote: divergent tech
Now that sounds like a book I would buy, or maybe write.
There you go. :wink:
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 9:33 am
Location: NZ

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:49 am

‘Divergent Tech’ might be something that could cover the Transhuman itch possibly too, as opposed to just that type of divergent tech…. You could call it ’Singularity’.

Another idea that occurs to me about the OTU Imperium setting is why not create a massive, fully comprehensive, encyclopaedic 300+ page hardback Library Data book, that covers absolutely every thing you could ever possibly want to know about the Third Imperium (but remaining systemless)? Anybody have any thoughts about that?
Outtasight!
parpy
Cub
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby parpy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:53 am

One thing above all else - the concluding episodes of The Pirates of Drinax.

Love what has been put out for this, a little sad it's not all put out yet.


... and I suppose by extension the 2nd on the list would be the "Book 11: Pirate".

Also a compilation of bigger/more legible deck plans of some sort
hiro

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby hiro » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:17 am

I like the idea that divergent tech covers trans human tech but I'd ask that it isn't in the flavour of some of the CSC with the flamers and disc rail guns.

I like the idea of a large library data book too, be cool to see it encompass things like ship to ship and star port to ship communications and protocol, the Third Imperium runs the star ports it'd be good to see the things that should be standardised across the 3I written down. PDF would be just fine for me to. Leave the trees alone! Indexed and searchable is good!
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3786
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby alex_greene » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 am

Biotech could count as divergent tech.

Psitech, tachyon comms, FTL ship designs using technology other than Jump, semi-biological vessels, power sources such as ZPMs, interstellar and even intergalactic travel via Jumpgates, dimensional travel, time travel (I know that Book 4: Psion covered these, but there could be many different kinds of D-drive and T-drive, as well as many kinds of J-drive); each such form of technology would represent a divergence from the baseline Traveller technology.

Entire settings can be built around even one of these divergent technologies.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
tzunder
Stoat
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:16 am

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby tzunder » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:53 am

Traveller: Dimension Doors, capturing the idea of stargates, sliding into parallel streams, wormholes, etc. There's plenty of sources and a wide variety of toolbox components to build campaigns around doors and gates, it'd be quite easy to build it into variant OTU or a new setting.

Droyne
Hivers
Virushi

And yes, a transhuman book for non OTU gaming.
8)
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Infojunky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:44 pm

alex_greene wrote:Biotech could count as divergent tech.

Psitech, tachyon comms, FTL ship designs using technology other than Jump, semi-biological vessels, power sources such as ZPMs, interstellar and even intergalactic travel via Jumpgates, dimensional travel, time travel (I know that Book 4: Psion covered these, but there could be many different kinds of D-drive and T-drive, as well as many kinds of J-drive); each such form of technology would represent a divergence from the baseline Traveller technology.

Entire settings can be built around even one of these divergent technologies.
Yep.

How about an alternate tech scale (i.e. Tech Levels)?
Evyn
Mirja
Weasel
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Mirja » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Mirja wrote:1) Alien Book Droyne

2) Book about the Third Imperium, not just a sector (The first chapters of Spinward marches were awesome, expand that to a 192 page book or something with maps and pictures of various places

3) Book about Fift Frontier War

These are enough, more will not be able to be written in 2015 :)

Thanks again for giving us Traveller.
Ah, yes. And of course my favourite race in Traveller:

4) Alien Book: Vilani
Jeff Hopper
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Jeff Hopper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 pm

While discussing Mongoose Traveller on another forum, there has been a significant number of posts requesting a mecha supplement for the game. Might be worth looking into.
Mirja
Weasel
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Mirja » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:52 am

Well I am a fan of the Third Imperium and that is what Traveller is for me. I am sad to see so many versions of Traveller and even more are wanted, thouh I understand people want to see their favourite SF book series/movoie/TV show etc. But I wish that there were less books published for non-Third Imperium stuff.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Infojunky » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:24 am

Mirja wrote:Well I am a fan of the Third Imperium and that is what Traveller is for me. I am sad to see so many versions of Traveller and even more are wanted, thouh I understand people want to see their favourite SF book series/movoie/TV show etc. But I wish that there were less books published for non-Third Imperium stuff.
You do understand that fewer Traveller books in total means fewer 3rd Imperium books as well. In terms of the OTU I have more interest in what comes next then more retreads of the 3rd Imperium, but that is really the realm of T5 than MgT.
Evyn
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Hopeless » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Are there any plans for more lbb's?

Speaking of T2300 any information on the Bayern supplement?
Nobby-W
Mongoose
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Nobby-W » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:40 pm

Maybe you could get in touch with the guy who did [StarGrunt](http://www.groundzerogames.co.uk/) (who lives somewhere in the UK as I recall) and ask him if he's up for doing a 'Striker III' rule set. The Stargrunt rules are not radically dissimilar to Striker and arguably simpler and more playable.

He mostly does miniatures now, so he might well be up for some deal (assuming you haven't already discussed this) where he makes and flogs a range of Traveller-themed minis to go with the game.

Not that I'm angling for somebody to make a range of 15mm Aslan figures or anything.
Rick
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Lincoln, UK

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm

If you take a look at the website, Jon Tuffley produces 15mm figures for the Hammers Slammers and the Tomorrows War rules, as well as Stargrunt. If you came up with a rules set with a good audience, he might be interested.
"Understanding is a 3-edged sword" bit like a toblerone, really.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: North of Center California

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Infojunky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Rick wrote:If you take a look at the website, Jon Tuffley produces 15mm figures for the Hammers Slammers and the Tomorrows War rules, as well as Stargrunt. If you came up with a rules set with a good audience, he might be interested.
While Jon does indeed produce Miniatures for Hammer's Slammers and Tomorrow's War, he has largely left rules development behind. John Treadway has written the Miniatures Rules for Hammer's Slammers and Ambush Alley in conjunction with Osprey produce Tomorrow's War.

I for one would love to see a Traveller Mod for Full Thrust that is based around the Adventure Scale Ships. (Power Projection is nice but to large scale to be useful)

For a ground game using another rules set I probably would try to adapt Gruntz to Traveller.
Evyn
Rick
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Lincoln, UK

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Sorry, I was trying to make the same point about Jon, but obviously not too clearly. :oops:

I think Mongoose already have a very good platform for Striker III - namely the Bf:Evo/Starship Troopers rule set - I think it would be an excellent fit and a great addition to the Traveller line. Develop the rules in-house and talk to GZG for the miniatures, what's not to like?
"Understanding is a 3-edged sword" bit like a toblerone, really.
Nobby-W
Mongoose
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Traveller Wishlists for 2015

Postby Nobby-W » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:02 am

Infojunky wrote:
Rick wrote:If you take a look at the website, Jon Tuffley produces 15mm figures for the Hammers Slammers and the Tomorrows War rules, as well as Stargrunt. If you came up with a rules set with a good audience, he might be interested.
While Jon does indeed produce Miniatures for Hammer's Slammers and Tomorrow's War, he has largely left rules development behind. John Treadway has written the Miniatures Rules for Hammer's Slammers and Ambush Alley in conjunction with Osprey produce Tomorrow's War.

I for one would love to see a Traveller Mod for Full Thrust that is based around the Adventure Scale Ships. (Power Projection is nice but to large scale to be useful)

For a ground game using another rules set I probably would try to adapt Gruntz to Traveller.
Stargrunt has many similarities to Striker - I did a bit of tinkering around adapting it to work with Striker at one point (for a limited set of vehicle designs). With a bit of work you could graft a damage system compatible with Traveller/Striker onto the rule set and use vehicles designed with the Striker rules.

Even licensing the Stargrunt IP off the author and adapting it to be compatible with Traveller might well be as good as a Striker III product.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TownsendABQ and 11 guests