State of Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
msprange
Site Admin

Re: State of Legend

Postby msprange » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:10 am

DamonJynx wrote:I concur with Dan here. Products that were specifically written for MRQ1 that are re-released for Legend, need to be properly updated and edited. I
From Samurai of Legend onwards, we have completely changed the team (both writer/developer and editor) of the Legend books. Not saying we will always be perfect, but you should see a big difference :) We will also be going back to Pirates and making the relevant corrections, likely as soon as we have finished the current project, Gladiators of Legend (which is looking like a really spiffing book and no, it is not based on anything from Monster Coliseum).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 am

msprange wrote:From Samurai of Legend onwards, we have completely changed the team (both writer/developer and editor) of the Legend books. Not saying we will always be perfect, but you should see a big difference :) We will also be going back to Pirates and making the relevant corrections, likely as soon as we have finished the current project, Gladiators of Legend (which is looking like a really spiffing book and no, it is not based on anything from Monster Coliseum).
Sounds good. Because I will likely be using Legend products for my RQ6 game, as they are so highly compatible.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:50 am

DamonJynx wrote:I concur with Dan here. Products that were specifically written for MRQ1 that are re-released for Legend, need to be properly updated and edited.
*scratches head* I bought the first six PDFs (Core, Arms of, Monsters of, Vikings of, Blood Magic, Spirit Magic).

Are these effected by the "MRQ1 stuff released as Legend" issue everyone is talking about? If so have they been updated?

Thanks
Al B.
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
LegendaryJWP
Weasel

Postby LegendaryJWP » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:01 am

GamerDude wrote:
DamonJynx wrote:I concur with Dan here. Products that were specifically written for MRQ1 that are re-released for Legend, need to be properly updated and edited.
*scratches head* I bought the first six PDFs (Core, Arms of, Monsters of, Vikings of, Blood Magic, Spirit Magic).

Are these effected by the "MRQ1 stuff released as Legend" issue everyone is talking about? If so have they been updated?
Nah - most of these were MRQ II, with the Glorantha-specific IP stripped out of them, cleaned up, and re-released.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:17 am

Dan True wrote:
msprange wrote:From Samurai of Legend onwards, we have completely changed the team (both writer/developer and editor) of the Legend books. Not saying we will always be perfect, but you should see a big difference :) We will also be going back to Pirates and making the relevant corrections, likely as soon as we have finished the current project, Gladiators of Legend (which is looking like a really spiffing book and no, it is not based on anything from Monster Coliseum).
Sounds good. Because I will likely be using Legend products for my RQ6 game, as they are so highly compatible.

- Dan
plus 1
Welcome to our agreed reality
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 am

LegendaryJWP wrote:Nah - most of these were MRQ II, with the Glorantha-specific IP stripped out of them, cleaned up, and re-released.
Ahh good. If it were the case the update of the PDFs would be automatic but having to re-aquire the books would be unfun.

Thanks
Al B. [B-)

Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 am

Personally I think that some repacking has been done well. Legend core rules and Arms of Legend are well made and actually fix some of the mistakes of original MRQII books. On the other hand Monsters of Legend is extremely bad, because it sometimes doesn't include essential monster information like how some attack works. Monster Coliseum had that information, so it's editor's mistake. Blood Magic has similar issues, although in lesser extent. Book makes several references to totemism and blood lines, but those chapters were cut off from the final product. Unfortunately editor didn't remember to remove those references. Otherwise it's a great book which offers very interesting magic rules.

I have discussed about this with other players and GMs and all seem to think that rules are great, but bad editing has been biggest issue with Legend books and it discourages many.

However I got my copy of Secrets of the Steppes (First Elric book in Legend format) this week and I've got to say that it's a solid work and offers material for many good adventures. If the future Legend publications keep that quality, then there's nothing to worry about.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 am

Olaus Petrus wrote: However I got my copy of Secrets of the Steppes (First Elric book in Legend format) this week and I've got to say that it's a solid work and offers material for many good adventures. If the future Legend publications keep that quality, then there's nothing to worry about.
Secrets had half of the new team that is on the job from Samurai onwards (same editor, different writer), so a good sign :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 am

That sounds great. Can you give us a rough idea of when you think Gladiators of Legend will be ready - I had presumed that it would rework the material from Monster Colliseum? Also, are you considering shorter PDF-only works for Legend similar to those that you've released for Traveller? And is there a chance that will we see Legend version of other MRQII books (Empires, Necromantic Arts) further down the track?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Prime_Evil wrote: That sounds great. Can you give us a rough idea of when you think Gladiators of Legend will be ready - I had presumed that it would rework the material from Monster Colliseum? Also, are you considering shorter PDF-only works for Legend similar to those that you've released for Traveller? And is there a chance that will we see Legend version of other MRQII books (Empires, Necromantic Arts) further down the track?
1. I would like to say before Christmas. The writer is on the last chapter at the moment, but it is the most complicated one. It is not a rework of Coliseum.

2. We would certainly consider them, if someone was to write them :)

3. I think there is every chance of those books being converted (they are the easiest books to convert), but we want to mix them up with some other material as well (such as Gladiators of Legend).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 pm

msprange wrote:1. I would like to say before Christmas. The writer is on the last chapter at the moment, but it is the most complicated one. It is not a rework of Coliseum.
Although I'm keen to see this book, I'd like you to take the time to do it right :)
msprange wrote:2. We would certainly consider them, if someone was to write them :)
Lol...Is that an open call for submissions that I hear?
msprange wrote:3. I think there is every chance of those books being converted (they are the easiest books to convert), but we want to mix them up with some other material as well (such as Gladiators of Legend).
I think this is a good approach and adds some value for those of us who own the original works.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Any chance of making the Legend line available in epub and mobi format as well, so they can be accessed on Nook, Kobo and Kindle ereaders, and releasing them to those who have already proven their loyalty by buying the PDFs? PDF works just fine on the computer screen, but sometimes the font is too small to be read properly on an ereader.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Looks like a lot to look forward to from Mongoose.

:D
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm

alex_greene wrote:Any chance of making the Legend line available in epub and mobi format as well, so they can be accessed on Nook, Kobo and Kindle ereaders, and releasing them to those who have already proven their loyalty by buying the PDFs? PDF works just fine on the computer screen, but sometimes the font is too small to be read properly on an ereader.
I noticed this sudden rash of postings calling for this so, as a big ebook reader (reading "Eat, Slay, Love" right now)...

How well can epub/mobi/et al handle large tables and detailed graphics. I mean if I get basically the same dull books that I'm reading now.. I might as well be reading my old library of GURPS 3rd ed books. I like my graphics, and color graphics etc (and yes I use Kindle & Nook software on my android tablet plus Google Books so... I do have my options open).

AL
Al B. [B-)

The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 am

Only 3 Gladiator NPCs to do today and Gladiators of Legend is done.
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 pm

The Wolf wrote:Only 3 Gladiator NPCs to do today and Gladiators of Legend is done.
Great news! I'll have to buy that.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Regarding ePublishing...

The same question was asked on the Traveller forum and Matt answered there that the ePub formats do not handle Tables very well. Since a lot of the books involve tables of information, it makes it very hard to put them into those formats.

Having said that, I have loaded several of Mongooses books in PDF format onto my Kindle Fire and they are OK. You have to do a lot of zoom in and zoom out, but it is possible.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 pm

warlock1971 wrote:
The Wolf wrote:Only 3 Gladiator NPCs to do today and Gladiators of Legend is done.
And we're done. GoL is pretty much in the bag.

Drivethru RPG
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 pm

The Wolf wrote:
warlock1971 wrote:
And we're done. GoL is pretty much in the bag.
That was quick!
:D
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I wanted to get the book sorted today :)

Drivethru RPG