Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Future Traveller - Testing the Waters

Postby alex_greene » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 pm

I think they covered Drifters in Book 6, Scoundrel.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
tzunder
Stoat

Postby tzunder » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

2e Mercenary and High Guard, yes, because they're broken. Make HG self contained (no flipping between core book and HG) and get a ship grognard like Dom Mooney to error check the heck out of it. Mercenary needs to be more like the SPICA Field Manual, and present more of an adventure engine.

2e Core book? Well I'd not buy it, and I am not sure it is needed. But maybe readjust some of the equipment with input from CSC. But I think that it's the least broken Mg rulebook ever, and probably the least broken first edition Traveller rules.

I find the LBBs unreadable now my eyesight is going, and I am nowhere near as blind as many.

War in a box, yes please!

I'd focus on more source materials and more aliens, settings and so that have never been done before or are in dire need of republishing, like Hivers and Droyne.
8)
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Try something else, as well, just off the top of my hat - Heist In A Box; Tomb In A Box. A complete raid for a team of player characters, and a complete Ancient tomb to delve into.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
delrom5
Weasel

Postby delrom5 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:15 pm

I read on another site (forgot where) that Traveller today is stuck in a rut in terms of era - we're puttering back in 1105. I really enjoyed Martin Dougherty's New Era 1248 sourcebooks and would like to see more depth given to the 4th-I, and possibly move the storyline to 1253.

Another area for would be to explore beyond the Imperium in 1105. Although there are bits and pieces hinted at, what is involved in mounting an expedition beyond? This could cover either the Zho's Core expeditions or the Rim expeditions.

Finally, if the Core Rulebook is taken to a second edition, please get Bryan Gibson to do all of the art for it.
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Somebody » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 pm

With Disney taking over StarWars maybe a supplement "Traveller - The Musical" is useful. After all even Sanctuary had a musical episode (And a nice one)

Jokes aside:

+ Reviving the Gateway Domain Setting

or

+ Doing something similar for the Antares/Julian region

would be nice. Lots of small powers and the 3I "just another player" (big but distant). In Gateway the limiting factor of the 3I power is the SolRim War, in Antares it is the Julian Protectorate that might over-react.

A campaing set in SolRim times and a "neutral" area where both sides operate might make for some nice ideas

Oh and please do the "TAS" book
Dunia
Stoat

Postby Dunia » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 am

If you do the TAS book, i promise to buy a copy of every Traveller and 2300 AD book that you publish in the future!
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 pm

alex_greene wrote:Try something else, as well, just off the top of my hat - Heist In A Box; Tomb In A Box. A complete raid for a team of player characters, and a complete Ancient tomb to delve into.
Heist in a box would be a good idea considering how often Traveller games degenerate into infiltration missions..lol.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:20 pm

I also thought of "Hijack In A Box," but they already released one of those and called it Snapshot.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:08 pm

I'd also look at releasing the sourcebooks in epub and mobi formats alongside PDF, for downloading onto ereaders.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby F33D » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 pm

alex_greene wrote:I'd also look at releasing the sourcebooks in epub and mobi formats alongside PDF, for downloading onto ereaders.
With epub3 coming on line, it would be a time to add special effects to the CRB. You could have ship gen, dice rollers, system gen etc. Especially fitting for s Sci-fi rpg.
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Somebody » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:55 pm

If you do more than PDF:

Any chance to go Amazon Kindle?

It has a good reader software for Windows and a good distribution and payment system (No need for CreditCard, Paypal and other primitiv methods)
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

I'd like miniatures for standard Traveller type races like Aslan, Hivers etc

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm

qstor wrote:I'd like miniatures for standard Traveller type races like Aslan, Hivers etc

Mike
Yes, but with the cost of metal/plastic minis - and having to paint them - I'd settle for cardboard ones *I have plenty of stands*
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Postby steelbrok » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Somebody wrote:If you do more than PDF:

It has a good reader software for Windows and a good distribution and payment system (No need for CreditCard, Paypal and other primitiv methods)

Seconded
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

Somebody wrote:If you do more than PDF:

Basically, no - the standard Kindle (and I love mine!) cannot handle tables and does not do too well on graphics, meaning most RPGs are very poor on it. Something like Library Data would make sense (or possibly the Lone Wolf MPGB, at a stretch - and we are looking at that), but rules - and Traveller makes use of a _lot_ of tables - are out, I am afraid.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Well, after spending hundreds on MgT this year, I'd say what I would be more ships: Zhodani, Traders and Gunboats II; also more crunch tech stuff, reinvent the wheel with parallel development alien tech, amber zones for ideas, minor aliens like from the old JTAS. Though I would also ask for better art to show players.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 am

dragoner wrote:Well, after spending hundreds on MgT this year, I'd say what I would be more ships: Zhodani, Traders and Gunboats II; also more crunch tech stuff, reinvent the wheel with parallel development alien tech, amber zones for ideas, minor aliens like from the old JTAS. Though I would also ask for better art to show players.
And not just "amber zones," referring to the old JTAS adventures. A book on Amber Zones - setting them up, determining why the TAS saw fit to classify them as such - and Red Zones. Some creative ideas on why a system would be so dangerous that the Navy or Scouts would want to blockade it.

I like the idea of alien Traders & Gunboats and Fighting Ships. Potential lot of mileage there.
Nuclear Fridge Magnet
Mongoose

Postby Nuclear Fridge Magnet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 am

Amber Zones: This would get my vote. :D The original LBB set mentioned that the Scouts tended to blockade worlds with primitive, developing cultures - shades of the Prime Directive in Star Trek - while the Navy either treated Red Zones as gunnery test ranges or used them to cover-up little 'mishaps' that might be politically embarrassing.

And if I recall the original Traveller Adventure correctly, the world of Lewis got a Red Zone slapped on it thanks to political string-pulling by a Tukera Lines share-holder who had a major case of hissy-fit. But there are other potential reasons... bio-hazard, widespread nuclear fallout from a TL7 balkanised world 'pushing the big red button', and creepy unexplained disappearances where entire colonies vanish - leaving no sign that there was ever any settlement in the first place.

So an Amber or Red Zone coding doesn't just have to be because the locals are xenophobic nutjobs. :mrgreen:
"A very wise man once taught me a valuable lesson...
"In space we have nothing. Nothing at all."
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 pm

There are a few alien ships in Merchants and Cruisers.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Stuff like the old Fasa ACS would be cool.

Which is a good example to handle a lot of things, a book of multiple things, such as amber zones or minor aliens, which I could lift and use in part in my campaign; a nuts and bolts book of why there are amber or red zones, I wouldn't buy.