Figures for max press and carry weight

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
jaz0nj4ckal
Stoat

Figures for max press and carry weight

Postby jaz0nj4ckal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Folks,
I am trying to find stats for characters max. press and max carry weight.

Sorry for the silly question, but my mind set is still in AD&D 2nd Edition, but as I continue to read and along with everyone's help I will get a grasp of Traveller....the system appears super cool...way easier to learn then GURPS...which made my head hurt while playing; however, I am still addicted to all things 80s, which includes AD&D 2nd ed, GURPS, and now Traveller.

Thanks.
Thile
Stoat

Re: Figures for max press and carry weight

Postby Thile » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm

From what I have found, it does not exist, nor does the weight on many items in the CSC book, so extrapolate and be happy.

Mongoose traveller is great in many ways, but it still lacks a lot.
jaz0nj4ckal
Stoat

Postby jaz0nj4ckal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Did the original traveller core book have a chart?
jaz0nj4ckal
Stoat

Postby jaz0nj4ckal » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:25 am

I really want to get a copy of the original Traveller book; however, I was able to purchase a copy of MegaTraveller from drivethrurpg.com. The MegaTraveller book has what I want on page: 88, or at lest I can use.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:16 am

jaz0nj4ckal wrote:I really want to get a copy of the original Traveller book; however, I was able to purchase a copy of MegaTraveller from drivethrurpg.com. The MegaTraveller book has what I want on page: 88, or at lest I can use.
Just a point, and as much as I love DTRPG/RPGNow - for Traveller stuff go to FFE's website and buy the CD Rom for that particular release... you get wayyy more for your buck.
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
Easterner
Mongoose

Postby Easterner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:46 pm

The CT Book indeed had a fast and loose carry ability for character. Fast & loose because it breaks down when examined in detail and covers only every day, not extraordinary or short term carry.

Each character can carry their Str in KG. Each can encumber themselves with 2xStr but lose 1 off Str, Dex, Edu, military can carry 3x for -2 off stats.

Now extrapolate. Str 15 a world class weight lifter who laughs at pressing 500lbs can carry 90lb max and strain doing it.

No rule for load bearing i.e. holding 50lb in arms is brutal, less so when in knapsack.
No rule for short haul i.e. 5x your Str but max time limit you can haul.
No rule for bots, they don't get tired and metal arms somewhat superior to calcium arms.

Thread necromancy because a synthetic person in ALIENS game wants to pick up heavy stuff so I figured I'd troll here to steal other folks solutions if any presented.
Thanks.
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Easterner - just do a Str task check. Use difficulty level DMs as appropriate and invert timing DMs.

There are no hard and fast rules in the RW (lot of physics to cover all bases) - task check success levels let you accommodate such. One can strain oneself and pickup/maneuver something normally beyond one's capability = reducing future activity or even resulting in more serious injury (extraordinary failure).
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:42 pm

From Encumbrance page 104 of the Core Rule you can extrapolate an answer.

The most without a skill check is (Strength + Endurance) x 3 in kg and be heavily encumbered. To lift more you need to do an Athletics (Strength) check. Add the Effect to the Strength in the calculation.
Assume a 12 on the roll, calculate Effect and that is the most your character could ever, ever lift. Well at least with rules as written. Yes, rules don't match real life often. But this is how I do it.

Joe Average, an ordinary guy
So, Joe Average with 7s with no Athletics could lift (7+7)x3 kg normally (42kg). If he presses and rolls a 12 his effect is 4 (roll 12 - 8 ). No penalty for being untrained in Athletics as stated under the Athletics Skill description, so he could lift (11+7)x3 or 54kg.

Joe Maximum, his big brother
Not counting augmentations and such, Joe Maximum Human gives it a try.
15 Stength, 15 Endurance, Athletics (Strength) 4 (yes, skill has no limits, but 4 is already famous/world class/etc.)
Heavily encumbered (15+15)x3 = 90kg
Pressing rolling a 12 give an effect of 11 (roll 12 + skill 4 + StrDM 3 - 8 )
You get (26+15)x3=123kg

Normally an Athletics (Strength) task is 10-60 seconds. A kind GM might allow going down the time frame 1-6 minutes (preparing, concentrating) to get a +1 on the roll so you get 126kg. Any other +DM ultimately adds +1 to the Strength and 3kg to the final result. Again, not real life, but RAW.
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Thile wrote:From what I have found, it does not exist, nor does the weight on many items in the CSC book, so extrapolate and be happy.
Found why the weight on many things is not there. There is a clear statement on pg 86 of the Core Rules (Equipment) in the second paragraph. To paraphrase, if there is no weight or cost associated with the item, then the weight or cost is negligible. This is not to say that the game has no errors or wonky rules (old vehicle rules come to mind), just that they covered themselves on that one. From a GM standpoint, it is interesting to note that most, if not all, the armor and weapons have weights and costs...
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
Easterner
Mongoose

Postby Easterner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks on this weighty subject.

BP that was my interum solution for the bot, never thought to apply to all.

Nathan looks good....consider it stolen!
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Easterner wrote:The CT Book...

Each character can carry their Str in KG. Each can encumber themselves with 2xStr but lose 1 off Str, Dex, Edu, military can carry 3x for -2 off stats.

Now extrapolate. Str 15 a world class weight lifter who laughs at pressing 500lbs can carry 90lb max and strain doing it.
Agree on all points except the typo/error directly above of the example, and the example itself. You've mixed your units and messed it up a little :)

That should be:

Str 15 world class weight lifter who grunts at explosively lifting some 250kg ONCE, for a few SECONDS, can carry 90kg ALL DAY with some strain WHILE doing it.

Your example above mixing units makes it look about 1:5 when in reality it is closer to 1:2

And it neglects that the lift is a very different thing from all day endurance with no debilitating effect once the encumbrance is dropped.

And of course CT implies, nay insists that Refs rule and expand on the rules as required or desired.

So there's your basis for a rulings:

No rule for load bearing i.e. holding 50lb in arms is brutal, less so when in knapsack.

Halve the weight for anything carried in a backpack, but it's not quickly accessible.

No rule for short haul i.e. 5x your Str but max time limit you can haul.

Directly from above weightlifting example, double the weight but apply the Endurance rule, also from CT, maximum rounds (6 seconds each) equals End iirc

No rule for bots, they don't get tired and metal arms somewhat superior to calcium arms.

I don't recall if there was anything in CT Book 8 Robots or not, but obviously the basic rule works, they just don't have End so no effect there, double the weight allowance with no penalty.

...or some other variations. Again, that's what Refs are (or were, once upon a time) for, to make rulings that the rules don't cover because the rules (more guidelines actually) can't cover everything. At least when RPGs were Role-Playing Games and not Roll-Playing Games :)

Easterner wrote:Thread necromancy because a synthetic person in ALIENS game wants to pick up heavy stuff so I figured I'd troll here to steal other folks solutions if any presented.
Thanks.
IMO and my off the cuff ruling, the Aliens franchise synthetics are not superhuman in this respect, they are effectively the same as a human. The same encumbrance rules apply to them as to humans. The movies at least seem to imply this, not counting the latest treatment (not having seen it) which may change that (in which case I'd easily ignore it).
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.
Easterner
Mongoose

Postby Easterner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:23 pm

I put them Str 15ish. And definitely not superhuman as heads fall off easy. Just harder to kill.
Easterner
Mongoose

Postby Easterner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Refs can't make it up. New generation players do nothing but argue. Even when told. I'm GM, it works this way, they say: No it doesn't
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Easterner wrote:Refs can't make it up. New generation players do nothing but argue. Even when told. I'm GM, it works this way, they say: No it doesn't
I've never had that problem. If I did, I'd say fine - you be a GM and see how it works for you.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
far-trader
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby far-trader » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Easterner wrote:Refs can't make it up. New generation players do nothing but argue. Even when told. I'm GM, it works this way, they say: No it doesn't
Heh, so I've heard :)

Back in the day, before night had been invented, I used to have no qualms about scribbling margin notes and strike-throughs on rules in the book that didn't quite jive with the way I wanted to run my game. Figured if any rules-lawyer player ever challenged "that's not (in the book / what the rules say)" I could just flip it open to them and point at my scribbles and say "is too" :twisted:
Dan "far-trader" Burns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.